Austria & Germany with Family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2023, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to Europe in June 2023. We will be in London for a few days and then headed to Prague. We will be arriving in Prague on a Wednesday and my family will be there until Monday (giving us 4 full-days not including the arrival and departure days). Our time in Prague is very well planned out visiting the churches and towns of my great grandparents.

My challenge... I have to then go to Dresden for a meeting. My family is considering going to Salzburg where they will have 4 full-days) until I meet them on the 5th day and then we will travel to Munich for our flight home.

I am looking for any recommendations for what to do in Salzburg and/or day-trips out of Salzburg via train (I know it is a long ride but I heard it was beautiful). While mobility is not a problem for my mother, she does get tired - so I would like things that might require light-walking and allow for periods of rest (transportation, meals, demonstrations, etc.). I am also looking for hotel recommendations... properties that are close to town and/or transportation.

I appreciate any help and suggestions. Thank you!
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 12:05 PM

Going with your choice of Salzburg, there should be lots to do and see there that would occupy 2 or 3 days including the festung on the hill which is accessible by funicular. I suggest that they take a look on the "Things to do" link on Tripadvisor and see what catches their interests. There are many smaller towns not too far such as Mondsee, St. Wolfgang, St. Gilgen... I believe would be accessible by bus? (We've always had a car.) Many guidebooks can provide lots of suggestions depending on their interests. Booking.com for hotels.

Apologies if this isn't specific enough, but it's hard to suggest when one doesn't know what they're looking for.

Since you will be in Dresden, that city is certainly worth a visit for them, as well as nearby Leipzig, if they would be interested in something in the vicinity of where you will be.

Have fun on your trip.

Last edited by Trophywife007; Apr 13th, 2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 01:57 PM

I would definitely include a visit to Herremchiemsee, to the lake one afternoon for swimming and to the palace one day, afternoon or evening for a tour, concert or event. It is about a hour by train from Salzburg. With a group, you might prefer having a car. We took a boat for a tour and an evening concert many years ago. It was wonderful. I don’t know how it works now. You can check the event schedule. We did the reverse and stayed with a family near the lake, and drove into Salzburg for tours. The lake was a lot of fun for our kids back then. You will have to see how it is now.
https://www.herrenchiemsee.de/englis...st/opening.htm
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 02:07 PM

Berchtesgaden is absolutely gorgeous. The mountains and lake are beautiful. Google images. You can rent a boat and it is lovely. It is roughly an hour from Salzburg by train or bus. Again, a car might be easier here. Hitler’s Eagles Nest is there, and worth a tour. There is also a salt mine, which I did not tour, but my in-laws found really interesting.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 02:11 PM

I would also strongly consider visiting Hallstatt. The whole area is beautiful and June is perfect.
https://www.viator.com/Salzburg/Hall...ps-d451-d25793

You might also enjoy some of the big, community swimming pools in small towns.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 02:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I suggest that they take a look on the "Things to do" link on Tripadvisor and see what catches their interests. "

There is also quite a bit of info re Salzburg in the Fodors Destinations section linked at the top of this page.