Tips for Seniors

Old Apr 8th, 2023, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for Seniors

We want to take my parents to Italy, but my mom's back can be a big problem. She can't walk super-long distances and she needs hotels with elevators and comfortable beds. Can anyone make recommendations for showing them around Tuscany (and possibly Venice and Rome) in a way that is comfortable, but not horribly expensive?
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 06:34 PM

Cobblestones and uneven sidewalks are ubiquitous in Italy but with a bit of planning it's doable. DH has limited stamina and issues with stairs, so we just plan out activities with built in rest stops. A couple places we simply had to pass on sites with, for example, steep stairs, but by and large were able to make do and enjoy ourselves. We did a couple group tours in Tuscany that worked out well, as the transit time between locations provided a chance to rest and recharge. Venice can require crossing one or more bridges to get around, so group your activities and plan accordingly.

As for hotels, you do not need to spend a fortune to get a place with an elevator, just be sure to confirm that the property does offer it. Sites like booking.com let you specify elevator access for upper floors, but keep in mind that even places with a lift may also require negotiating a few steps to reach the entrance. If stairs are absolutely out of the question, confirm with the property that this is not the case or that they have ramp access.
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 06:39 PM

Could you rent a car and drive in Tuscany?
One person’s horribly expensive may be another’s budget, so what exact price range are you thinking, for how many days? How many people?
Are Rome, Tuscany and Venice your primary focus?
There are golf cart tours in Rome now. That might be good for your Mom.
Florence center is quite flat and compact, so walking should be mostly fine.
Central Lucca is very flat. Siena is hilly, but I think you can get a taxi into the center of Siena. .
If they plan carefully to visit only one or two sights a day, then a hotel with a nice garden, more walking for dinner in the evenings, they will have a great time.
Think about other stops in other towns that are less crowded, but still beautiful and flat for easier walking: Bologna, Padova, Verona.
Use Taxis! The older we get, the more taxis are our life savers.
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 07:20 PM

Just this year I’ve started asking for accessible rooms, with walk-in showers. No more negotiating getting in and out of a deep tub!
Ask for transport in the airports. Wheelchair or electric cart saves steps and preserves energy. Also, would it help your mother to use a cane or walking stick?
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A comfortable and convenient hotel can massively improve both of your stays. Your parents may need more downtime than you so try to find accommodation that is located near the sights you want to see. This will allow your parents to rest while you can explore on your own.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 01:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steep hills can be everywhere, narrow pavements (very narrow) with clutter are pretty common but then bars are also everywhere and for the price of a coffe you can sit down, use the loo etc.

So I might avoid a few very steep places like Cortina and narrow pavements like to the south of Florence. Chose Buonconvento for example or at least if you are doing a tour with someone make it clear what you want.

just seen Sassafrass's comments, spot on as are the others
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

SEAMUS:
That's a really good point about double-checking about accessibility.

Perhaps we should skip Venice and stick to Tuscany?

Last edited by 2Aquilas; Apr 9th, 2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

SASSAFRAS:
We're not comfortable driving overseas.
We're thinking roughly 10 days, give or take.
There'd be four of us.
Is it easy to get taxis in most parts of Italy? Keep in mind that none of us can speak Italian.
I didn't know about the golf cart tours- that's very clever. I'll definitely look into that.
Tuscany is the main focus, but I'd really like to show them Venice and Rome. If that's not possible, though, that's ok.
I don't know anything about Bologna or Padova. Would you recommend them?
Thank you!

Last edited by 2Aquilas; Apr 9th, 2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

K-MARIE:
That's a good point about walk-in showers! I hadn't even thought of that!
I don't think she'll use a cane, but I'm trying to convince her that she should.

Last edited by 2Aquilas; Apr 9th, 2023 at 09:07 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

BILBO-BURGLAR:
Excellent advice.

Last edited by 2Aquilas; Apr 9th, 2023 at 09:07 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
It will be much easier for your mother if you do rent a car after you leave Venice. Or are you considering a tour which gives you less control?
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if she doesn't really need a cane, carrying one will get her courtesy and assistance and maybe even a seat without having to beg.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
Even if she doesn't really need a cane, carrying one will get her courtesy and assistance and maybe even a seat without having to beg.

I think your Mom's status is about the same as many thousands of other travelers that visit Tuscany and your other possible destinations, and who are able to enjoy many, if not all, of these (perhaps modified) with little or no trouble. I would certainly take the steps suggested above, such as asking for wheelchair assistance from the airline both on departure and arrival. Book this when you book your tickets, is possible. Try for disabled rooms at hotels that offer them, or request a room on ground floor, where possible, and with a step-in shower, not a shower in the tub. I'd also do my best to choose a hotel in a very central location so tht she can easily return to the hotel for a rest of if she has an episode of bad pain.

My partner needs a joint replacement and hopefully, will gat that surgery as soon as we return from Sicily next month. He is in considerable pain when walking even short distances. He does promise that he will take the prescribed medication during our trip; at home he is very reluctant, for no actual, rational reason, I might add!

We usually rent cars outside of cities in Europe, but this time, we are using private drivers to get from place to place. It requires some back-and-forth to find a driver whose price is within your budget, but it is not difficult. And if he is not feeling very well on a particular morning, he is content to grab a bench to survey the street scene, or relax on a terrace or deck or pool at our hotels that offer these. (We've already canceled this trip 4 times due to COVID and various medical issues and are determined not to cancel again!)

Obviously, you might want to offer some idea of your budget so we can better give advice. For example, what is your hotel price range?

Even if you are reluctant to drive overseas, might you change your mind and just plunge in? Outside the big cities, it should not be difficult, especially with all the assistance available today in the form of GPS, etc. (I was very anxious about renting in Spain last month, as I'd never driven in Europe and do not like driving in any place. But I was determined not to let my fear rule me and I was so glad Ii did. It was supremely easy, thanks in large part to my renting a car with built-in GPS...I'lll never fear doing this again!!

How far can your Mom walk without pain? A mile? A block? Does she have good walking shoes? Does she have appropriate medication? Has she had, or considered having, steroid injections in her back?

What destinations are you interested in particularly? When will the trip take place and for how long? Have you been to Italy before? Has she? (Maybe you already answered this questions but I cannot see the original post while I am typing this one)

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 9th, 2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 12:01 PM

Taxis are easy to get in most places (of course not in Venice) and you will be fine language wise.

However, I strongly urge you all to learn a few words. At this point, rather than a regular class, see if you can find a private teacher to give you all some lessons together. Expensive, yes, but I once took about ten private classes and quickly learned so much. A major thing is pronunciation. If you get that, then you can read words on menu or at train stations, etc. and use them.
Print out some menus now and learn the words for basic things. Learn to ask where the toilet is, how much something costs, etc. You will forget stuff later, but it will be good for now. While millions of people visit Italy without knowing a word of Italian, it is a joy to communicate even a bit.

I may have missed it, where are you coming from?
If you can stretch total time to 12 days or more, you won’t feel so rushed. You will feel better about taking it slower.
Do not count arrival day for sightseeing. Do not count travel days. Count nights in each place and days in between will be how many full days you actually have for sightseeing.

Fly into a place you want to go and fly out of a place you will be seeing. That is not two, one-way tickets. It is multi-city. Sometimes people find cheap flights into Italy and think it will be easy to go from there to their actual destinations. It wastes a lot of time and money. So does most RT in Italy. Don’t buy tickets until you have decided on your itinerary.

There are tons of ways to arrange things.
This is only an example: 10 nights in Italy, which is 9 days plus arrival day, but two (2) of those will be half days of travel.
You end up with only 7 full days of sightseeing and two 1/2 days.

Day 1, Depart home
Day 2, Arrive Venice, jet lag? sleep in Venice
Days 3 & 4, Venice
Day 5, travel 1/2 day by train to Florence, Sleep in Florence
Days 6 & 7, tour in Tuscany by hired car and driver or take a train plus taxi to other towns.
Day 8, travel 1/2 day by train to Rome, Sleep in Rome
Days 9, 10 & 11, sightsee in Rome.
Day 12, depart for home.

Is there a back brace or anything your Mom can do to help? Exercises? Shots?
She may have already addressed this, but if not. . .
One thing to make absolutely certain: really good walking shoes. Two pairs. They can make a huge difference. Sometimes what seems to work for a few minutes is killing you later and not necessarily hurting your feet. Some shoes feel fine, but your back hurts after walking in them. I personally like some Born walking shoes, Teva leather sandals and New Balance sneakers. DH wears only New Balance. She should be properly fitted and wear them at home for walks, starting right now! If they don’t work, she would have time to get others.

Do you have your passports?

Rome. Do not skip it. Plan on short walks and short tours and use a taxi to get from place to place. Stay in a central location if possible or at least close to restaurants and make sure lodging fits your needs.

This is all easier than it seems. It is easier to travel in Italy than in most of the US.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 04:25 PM

I'd consider a Hop-On/Hop-Off Tour for your parents while in Rome. Yeah it's touristy, but who cares, especially if it's easier for your mom to get around and see what she wants to see at her own pace.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr:
Driving isn't an option for us, but a tour isn't out of the question. The ideal would be a driver-slash-tour guide or some very small tour groups for some day trips around Tuscany, but I'm not sure how expensive that would get.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

AJ Peabody- I agree with you 100% but my mom is VERY stubborn about carrying a cane.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Ekscrunchy

Great questions. I'll try to answer them below:

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
I think your Mom's status is about the same as many thousands of other travelers that visit Tuscany and your other possible destinations, and who are able to enjoy many, if not all, of these (perhaps modified) with little or no trouble. I would certainly take the steps suggested above, such as asking for wheelchair assistance from the airline both on departure and arrival. Book this when you book your tickets, is possible. Try for disabled rooms at hotels that offer them, or request a room on ground floor, where possible, and with a step-in shower, not a shower in the tub. I'd also do my best to choose a hotel in a very central location so tht she can easily return to the hotel for a rest of if she has an episode of bad pain.

I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE 1,000%

My partner needs a joint replacement and hopefully, will gat that surgery as soon as we return from Sicily next month. He is in considerable pain when walking even short distances. He does promise that he will take the prescribed medication during our trip; at home he is very reluctant, for no actual, rational reason, I might add!

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR PARTNER MAY BE AS STUBBORN AS MY MOM!

We usually rent cars outside of cities in Europe, but this time, we are using private drivers to get from place to place. It requires some back-and-forth to find a driver whose price is within your budget, but it is not difficult. And if he is not feeling very well on a particular morning, he is content to grab a bench to survey the street scene, or relax on a terrace or deck or pool at our hotels that offer these. (We've already canceled this trip 4 times due to COVID and various medical issues and are determined not to cancel again!)

I'M REALLY CURIOUS ABOUT HOW YOU ENGAGED PRIVATE DRIVERS. WAS IT DIFFICULT TO FIND GOOD DRIVERS WHO SPOKE ENGLISH AND HAD COMFORTABLE CARS? IF YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING, HOW MUCH DID THAT GENERALLY COST? (I HOPE YOU WON'T HAVE TO CANCEL AGAIN!!!)

Obviously, you might want to offer some idea of your budget so we can better give advice. For example, what is your hotel price range?

FOR HOTELS, I'M THINKING $150-$250 PER NIGHT, BUT I KNOW THAT MIGHT BE UNREALISTIC. WE'RE STILL RESEARCHING AND FIGURING OUT BUDGETS.

Even if you are reluctant to drive overseas, might you change your mind and just plunge in? Outside the big cities, it should not be difficult, especially with all the assistance available today in the form of GPS, etc. (I was very anxious about renting in Spain last month, as I'd never driven in Europe and do not like driving in any place. But I was determined not to let my fear rule me and I was so glad Ii did. It was supremely easy, thanks in large part to my renting a car with built-in GPS...I'lll never fear doing this again!!

I ADMIRE YOUR COURAGE AND DETERMINATION, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT'LL WORK FOR US.

How far can your Mom walk without pain? A mile? A block? Does she have good walking shoes? Does she have appropriate medication? Has she had, or considered having, steroid injections in her back?

SHE'S HAD SURGERY ON HER BACK BUT IT STILL GIVES HER TROUBLE. I'VE ASKED HER TO TALK TO HER DOCTOR AND A PHYSICAL THERAPIST TO SEE WHAT CAN BE DONE. SHE CAN PROBABLY WALK A HALF HOUR OR SO, IN HER COMFY SHOES (WHICH I WILL INSIST THAT SHE BRING!)

What destinations are you interested in particularly? When will the trip take place and for how long? Have you been to Italy before? Has she? (Maybe you already answered this questions but I cannot see the original post while I am typing this one)
MY PARENTS ARE MOST INTERESTED IN TUSCANY AND THE LAKE COUNTRY. I'D LOVE FOR THEM TO SEE VENICE AND ROME, TOO, BUT I KNOW THAT THAT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE. IF WE GO, WE'D GO IN MAY 2024. MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TO ITALY A FEW TIMES, BUT MY PARENTS HAVE NEVER BEEN. IT'S BEEN A DREAM OF THEIRS FOR YEARS AND WE WANT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN FOR THEM!

Old Apr 9th, 2023, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Sassafrass

Comments below (thank you for taking the time to help us!)

Originally Posted by sassafrass
taxis are easy to get in most places (of course not in venice) and you will be fine language wise.

However, i strongly urge you all to learn a few words. At this point, rather than a regular class, see if you can find a private teacher to give you all some lessons together. Expensive, yes, but i once took about ten private classes and quickly learned so much. A major thing is pronunciation. If you get that, then you can read words on menu or at train stations, etc. And use them.
Print out some menus now and learn the words for basic things. Learn to ask where the toilet is, how much something costs, etc. You will forget stuff later, but it will be good for now. While millions of people visit italy without knowing a word of italian, it is a joy to communicate even a bit.

We'll do our best to learn a little bit! I have some books to start.

I may have missed it, where are you coming from?

We are coming from the washington, d.c. Area.

If you can stretch total time to 12 days or more, you won’t feel so rushed. You will feel better about taking it slower.
Do not count arrival day for sightseeing. Do not count travel days. Count nights in each place and days in between will be how many full days you actually have for sightseeing.

Fly into a place you want to go and fly out of a place you will be seeing. That is not two, one-way tickets. It is multi-city. Sometimes people find cheap flights into italy and think it will be easy to go from there to their actual destinations. It wastes a lot of time and money. So does most rt in italy. Don’t buy tickets until you have decided on your itinerary.

There are tons of ways to arrange things.
This is only an example: 10 nights in italy, which is 9 days plus arrival day, but two (2) of those will be half days of travel.
You end up with only 7 full days of sightseeing and two 1/2 days.

Day 1, depart home
day 2, arrive venice, jet lag? Sleep in venice
days 3 & 4, venice
day 5, travel 1/2 day by train to florence, sleep in florence
days 6 & 7, tour in tuscany by hired car and driver or take a train plus taxi to other towns.
Day 8, travel 1/2 day by train to rome, sleep in rome
days 9, 10 & 11, sightsee in rome.
Day 12, depart for home.

12 days should be doable. I think you make some very good points about accounting for travel days.

Is there a back brace or anything your mom can do to help? Exercises? Shots?
She may have already addressed this, but if not. . .
One thing to make absolutely certain: Really good walking shoes. Two pairs. They can make a huge difference. Sometimes what seems to work for a few minutes is killing you later and not necessarily hurting your feet. Some shoes feel fine, but your back hurts after walking in them. I personally like some born walking shoes, teva leather sandals and new balance sneakers. Dh wears only new balance. She should be properly fitted and wear them at home for walks, starting right now! If they don’t work, she would have time to get others.

She's had surgery, but her back has never been great and it's still not. I'm going to insist that she talk to her doctor and a physical therapist before we try this. Comfy shoes are non-negotiable!

do you have your passports?

Yes! Thank you for checking.

Rome. Do not skip it. Plan on short walks and short tours and use a taxi to get from place to place. Stay in a central location if possible or at least close to restaurants and make sure lodging fits your needs.

This is all easier than it seems. It is easier to travel in italy than in most of the us.
thanks for the encouragement! We really want to make this work!
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Wtm003

Originally Posted by wtm003
I'd consider a Hop-On/Hop-Off Tour for your parents while in Rome. Yeah it's touristy, but who cares, especially if it's easier for your mom to get around and see what she wants to see at her own pace.
I hadn't thought about that, but it's a great idea. My husband and I did that in London when we first arrived and it was a great way to get oriented to the city while we were still recovering from the long trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -