Search

Mexico in August?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2023, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico in August?

We are interested in going to the Caribbean or Mexico in early August. Searching the Internet and the forums it seems August is not an ideal time because of hurricanes and it’s the rainy season. Has anyone gone in early August and it wasn’t as bad as stated? Also which island did you visit? The options are endless. If you have recommendations for alternative sunny locations that are kids friendly please provide. Thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 02:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Correct. About the weather that is. Most (ocean/coastal) places August is one of the hottest and rainiest months of the year. Honestly I have not been to give a 1st hand account because I knew this in advance. I've been in the Caribbean various times, but July being the "latest" in the season. Jamaica most often (also DR and USVI a few times, but too long ago to comment on those).
For Pacific coastal Mexico (I am most familiar with Puerto Vallarta and a bit of the Baja) I would go anytime from about mid-October thru early June. July/Aug/Sept - no way - too hot, humid, wet, and buggy for me to even be willing to try. I've been to PV 30+ times. The Baja only twice.
Alternative locations? The Hawaiian islands are fantastic. But will be hot there too in the summer-time.
sincerely, suze
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Correct. About the weather that is. Most (ocean/coastal) places August is one of the hottest and rainiest months of the year. Honestly I have not been to give a 1st hand account because I knew this in advance. I've been in the Caribbean various times, but July being the "latest" in the season. Jamaica most often (also DR and USVI a few times, but too long ago to comment on those).
For Pacific coastal Mexico (I am most familiar with Puerto Vallarta and a bit of the Baja) I would go anytime from about mid-October thru early June. July/Aug/Sept - no way - too hot, humid, wet, and buggy for me to even be willing to try. I've been to PV 30+ times. The Baja only twice.
Alternative locations? The Hawaiian islands are fantastic. But will be hot there too in the summer-time.
sincerely, suze
Thanks Suze for the insights. Definitely looking for weather that is 70 - 80 degrees during that time so I think I’ll stay state side and go to the Pacific Northwest.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 09:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It can be hotter than that in Seattle (my location) in August We do have heatwaves here in the summer occasionally where it can be 90F+ but no hurricanes -haha.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by pd87
Thanks Suze for the insights. Definitely looking for weather that is 70 - 80 degrees during that time so I think I’ll stay state side and go to the Pacific Northwest.
Where I live in Central Mexico, the average high temperature is 70-80. No islands, however.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 09:13 PM

I have personally been to Mexico multiple times throughout my life from June-September and have not experienced much rain during August. I visited Oaxaca, Mexico. A place I highly recommend, full of so much rich culture. You can visit el Templo de Santo Domingo de Guzman and visit nearby towns like Etla

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 17th, 2023 at 07:27 PM. Reason: removed bolding
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no problem visiting coastal areas in July or august but we went to Merida once in July to visit a friend and omg was it hot and humid. I e never sweated so much on a trip as I did there. I still loved it but yikes
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 04:08 PM

Jess, you may not have experienced much rain in August, but August is in the middle of the rainy season. Oaxaca de Juárez may not be as rainy as coastal areas with probably only 4-5 inches monthly.