sleeping car on California Zephyr to Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2023, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are thinking of taking the California Zephyr from SF to Chicago and getting a roomette. One thing that is concerning is I've read that you can only lock the sleeping car from the inside. So if you spend a few hours in the observation car to watch the scenery go by then all your luggage is sitting in your room that anyone can walk into. Are there restrictions on who can get into the sleeping cars? Have people taken this train and felt ok with this?
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the California Zephyr back in 2012. I really don't remember whether the roomettes locked from the outside or not. Not a big deal for me, I wear a money belt under my clothes for cash and cards, and took my camera to the observation car. I was also carrying an iPad but my bag was locked. How much luggage do you have, anyway? There wasn't that much room in a roomette for just me and a 22 inch two wheeler, you may have to leave it outside or check it. See photo here: https://www.seat61.com/UnitedStates....ak-trains-like
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 08:35 AM

Hi,

I have taken long-distance trains many times on Amtrak, although it has been awhile since I have taken the California Zephyr specifically. In my experience on these trains, it has been universally true that the doors lock from the inside but not the outside.. I was never too bothered by this since 1. I closed my door and curtain when I would leave my room to eat in the dining car or sit in the observation lounge, so no one could tell if there was anyone in the room or not. 2. It is only sleeper car passengers allowed in the sleeper car area. 3. I would bring my wallet/phone with me when I'd go sit in the observation car. 4. Any thief who happens upon my stuff would probably be very disappointed.

That's just me though. It is a gorgeous ride if you decide to do it, especially from Emeryville to Denver.

Best wishes

Daniel

Old Mar 29th, 2023, 08:58 AM

I agree with the other posters. I have ridden the Zephyr and other cross-country trains many times and have never felt a concern with roomette security. When I leave the room, I close the door curtains and the door and no one passing by can tell if the room is occupied or not. It's not a foolproof method but I have never had any problems with it. I also don't leave valuable in the room when I leave.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 09:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwooddon
I agree with the other posters. I have ridden the Zephyr and other cross-country trains many times and have never felt a concern with roomette security. When I leave the room, I close the door curtains and the door and no one passing by can tell if the room is occupied or not. It's not a foolproof method but I have never had any problems with it. I also don't leave valuable in the room when I leave.
Same here. I took the CZ from Winnemucca to Chicago with my wife in a roomette. Report any missing items to your SCA. Please tip your SCA when you leave the train. When i dropped my watch next to the bed the SCA found a coat hanger and got it pulled out for me. If you make online purchases, join Amtrak Guest Rewards (free) and get points toward Amtrak trips. You also earn points on fares, rental cars and hotels.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 02:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
It's been a long time since I traveled on my own from Denver to Emeryville in a roomette, about 1995, but I do recall that our sleeping car attendant ran a tight "ship" and no one who wasn't a passenger in that car was allowed in. Sometimes I ate in the dining car and sometimes he brought me my meals and I felt absolutely secure. It's worked for a long time so I wouldn't be concerned. You'll love the trip.

Old Apr 5th, 2023, 07:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm wondering if miket123 ever came back to read the responses we gave. The recent Amtrak news is that now coach passengers can come back to the dining car for a fixed price meal with a reservation. (cash only). For more than a year, only sleeping car passengers got their meals in the dining car and the poor people in coach got to eat from the cafe car or bring their own food. The dining car and the Sightseer Lounge separate the coach cars from the sleepers. The Conductor is often sitting in the dining car when it is not mealtime.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomfuller
I'm wondering if miket123 ever came back to read the responses we gave.
Yes I did and appreciate people taking the time to answer!