Itinerary Help - Germany/Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2023, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am planning a trip for myself, husband and two sons - ages 18 and 20. I would love any thoughts/feedback. We will be utilizing trains for this trip - not renting a car.

May 25 - Arrive Munich 8:20 am - leave airport, take Train to Nuremberg (allow 2.5 hours for travel) - spend afternoon exploring Nuremberg - trying to stay awake until after dinner!
May 26 - Day trip to Bamberg
May 27 - Explore Nuremberg
May 28 - Train to Salzburg (allow 3 hours for travel) - possibly spend morning in Nuremberg, travel in afternoon? Would like to get to Salzburg by late afternoon
May 29 - Sound of Music Bike Tour / explore Salzburg
May 30 - Eagle's Nest / Salt Mines
May 31 - Salzburg / afternoon train to Munich
June 1 - BMW tour / Olympic Park
June 2 - Day trip to Zugspitze - weather depending, if not exploring Munich
June 3 - Spend day in Munich - possibly walking tour / beer hall tour
June 4 - 10:20 Flight home

It's a fast paced schedule, but we are fine with being on the go. Trying to pack as much as we can in the amount of time we have but still leave enough time to wander and enjoy cities. Any input or suggestions on things you have done in these areas that you would recommend or city tours - walking tours etc. would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 05:53 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
With such a tightly orchestrated itinerary, you'll want to be very organized and hit the ground running. I've visted the areas on your list several times across different trips - two of them fast paced, but still longer than yours - and I found both trips exhausting.

I personally feel you're giving Salzburg short shirft. Instead of the day trip to Eagles Nest, you miight consider a day trip to the Salzkammergut. The Eagles Nest is supposed to open on May 12 this year, but subject to weather.

Old Mar 20th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

It is a fast paced itinerary for sure, but I think we are ready and excited for the adventure. My kids are really interested to see Eagle's Nest, but I will definitely look into Salzkammergut as a back up if the weather doesn't cooperate. Thanks for the tip!!
Old May 21st, 2023, 08:10 AM

As an alternative side trip from Salzburg, if you decide not to do Eagle's Nest, consider Burg Hohenwerfen and the ice cave (Eisriesenwelt) close by. All three of these are on our list for July trip, not sure which we'll end up doing.

https://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/hohenwerfen-castle/

https://www.eisriesenwelt.at/en/
Old May 21st, 2023, 11:39 AM

I think it is a great itinerary, and you have some built-in flexibility, like when you go to Bamberg (also consider Regensburg). You have your overnights set, you have your ideal sights to see, then every day get up and decide what fits best (as with your astute 'weather depending'). Bavaria and the Salzkammergut are your oyster.