Indonesia Visa Requirement for U.S. Passport Holders

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2023, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been already reported. I Googled today and found even Google says US passport holders don’t need visa to enter Indonesia. Well, I entered last night and had to pay $34 US dollars (unless you have exact cash, change will be given in Rupias at their lousy “official” rate. It’s called Visa On Arrival (VOA). No more visa free entry. If you use credit card, they will add about 2% service fee.

Also, another big surprise was their ATM. They accept certain type of debit cards only. Mine, American issued “visa” affiliated cards (2 different cards) don’t work. They are happy to exchange your US dollars at money changer’s rate. I am trying to use my credit card at restaurants as much as possible.
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not new. Indonesia has always required visas for U.S. passport holders. The convenience is that we can obtain it on arrival, and it's straightforward.
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 01:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I’ve spent time in Indonesia 3 times and don’t recall the visa process. Which is exactly what I like, not having to keep track of one more detail and I believe tripplanner saying there is one. I do recall that I had no issue whatever getting cash from ATMs. So regarding the visa, I consider their system a plus, not something to complain about. Don’t know what to say about your cash issues.