Portugal hotel (& itinerary) help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2023, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we finally ended up with 12 days in Portugal & I am still feeling that the time is not enough! So thank you all who talked me out of going to Spain as a side trip!

This is what our itinerary looks like now:
We fly into Lisbon but decided to continue on to Porto since our flight gets into Lisbon at 6am. Most of the hotels seem pretty full, so I doubt we would be able to check in early.
Would you recommend flying to Porto (TAP has an 8 or 9 am flight?) Or taking the train?

May 15th-18th 3 nights in Porto - Day trip to Duoro, probably on the 16th. Morning bus to Sintra on May 18th, gets in at noon (Or is the train a better option?)
May 18th-19th 1 night in Sintra
May 19th-22nd 3 nights in Lisbon
May 22nd-25th 3-4 nights in Algarve
May 25th/26th 1-2 nights back in Lisbon, depending on how many nights we spend on the coast
May 27th - Noon flight back to Boston

Initially, we were going to do 3 nights in Lisbon first but it was a long train ride from Porto to Portimao! I think this works better?

Hotel help next please! Many are already booked so it is quite challenging. Looking for a 4 star, trying to keep it around $250-275 euros per night on average.
I have narrowed down a few, but would welcome other suggestions.

Porto-
https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/por...nte-porto.html
https://www.ocahotels.com/en/hotels/...boutique/rooms

Lisbon
https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/altis-avenida.html
https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/mad...ue-hotels.html
https://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/boulevard-dream.html

The Altis Grand & NH Collection Lisboa are more budget friendly but the location didn't seem as convenient?

In the Algarve, is Portimao/Praia de Rocha OK to stay in? We love a good beach/ocean view, suggestions are welcome!

TIA for the help!

Last edited by excited_confused; Mar 14th, 2023 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Adding the airline name
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 03:26 AM

I hope you have gotten to see our trip report. We were very pleased with the location and service at our hotel in Lisbon. Hotel Fa Baixa. One night, when we were too tired to find a restaurant, we ate at the hotel's and it was wonderful and we found it was well-rated, too. The staff went above and beyond to help us orient to Lisbon, etc. In terms of Porto, where we did not get to, we have a voucher at Duas Portas. I don't think we will be returning soon, so we may try to sell it. We purposely were going to stay at this location (a quick tram or bus ride into Porto) because it was flat and offered parking.
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Virginiafish, I have read your TR, it was very informative & helpful! Hotel Da Baixa is unfortunately beyond our budget, it's about $550 per night for the weekend we are there
I have however made a reservation at Altis Avenida in Lisbon & at OcaFlores in Porto but that is still subject to change!
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 05:59 AM

Whoa... we paid about 700 euros for 3 nights including one dinner..
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 09:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at Altis Avenida and liked it a lot. Good location, rooftop bar, friendly people, great shower. Here's my trip report currently on Fodor's.
Falling For Portugal: A Mai Tai Tom (Trip) Report
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 12:33 PM

I see you have the Portugal bug as you are going back so soon! We are going to the Algarve next month! We will be staying in Lagos for a week, not too far from where you are thinking of staying. We will then be doing a week in Spain. We can't wait.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Corpo Santo / Altis Avenida

Just an update - we were debating between the Corpo Santo or the Altis Avenida in Lisbon - went with the Corpo Santo & were very happy with the hotel, but we preferred the location of the Altis Avenida.
I think for short stays I would recommend the Altis Avenida - (just based on location since we did not stay there though we did go to the rooftop restaurant) but for longer stays where one has the time to explore segments of the city leisurely every day, I would definitely pick Corpo Santo.
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 06:33 AM

It's been a few years, but I had planned a Portugal trip after reading about this guesthouse guest house douro in Porto. The guest house lived up to all expectations. The breakfast was a work of art (the way they arranged the fruit), and the owners are delightful (brought them bagels. when they saw we were from NYC they asked if we can bring some, so we did). Not sure if they really expected the bagels but we didn't want to let then down, and they certainly didn't let us down.
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 07:16 AM

Fly back from Faro International Airport in the Algarve to avoid doubling back to Lisbon. That's assuming that that flight allows a same day connection to the flight home.