Search

Transportation from Venice to Hvar

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2023, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation from Venice to Hvar

HI-
What is the best way to get to Hvar from Venice by water? I believe there is a ferry from Venice to Pula and a ferry from Split to Hvar, however I can't find a way to get to Split? Are there private transfer water taxis available? I'm trying to avoid taking several busses and trains.

Thank you,
Danielle
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 12:06 PM

Danielle, do you plan to do this journey in one go or over a week or more? What is your overall plan? As a single journey out of context, it doesn't make a lot of sense to attempt this, not least because you'll be wizzing past some beautiful places.

Ferry timetables are definitely seasonal so it will depend on when you're travelling. An alternative would be to travel south through Italy (by train) to somewhere like Ancona. Look out for ferries from Italy to Zadar as well. You could check rome2rio or one of the Croatian ferry websites (if you haven't already).
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 12:27 PM

There is no way to go the whole way by water using public transportation. You could take the catamaran to Pula, and there is a nonstop flight between Pula and Split but it doesn’t fly every day. The flight is operated by Trade Air but you can book it through Croatian Airlines.

Or, so as dreamon suggests and take the train to Ancona and the ferry from there to Split, then catamaran to Hvar.

Last edited by rialtogrl; Mar 8th, 2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 01:06 PM

We also need to know which month in addition to how quickly you need to make the journey. It's lots of pieces unless you fly.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Croatia

Thanks for your responses. I’ll give you a little more context…we’re heading to Italy for a family reunion which starts in Teramo, Italy. After Teramo we’re heading North to Florence and Venice for 2 days each. After Vence we plan to spend approximately 1 week in Croatia - Hvar, Split, Dubrovnik. After Croatia we’re flying into Barcelona and driving up the coast to Collioure, France for 1 week with day trips to La Cerdagne (taking the yellow train out of Perpignan) and Aix-en- Provence.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

....Our trip starts July 6th. We'll most likely make it to Croatia on July 14th.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 08:11 PM

I think I'd work out how long it will take for each of your proposed journeys. To my tastes, there's a disproportionate amount of travel between some. For example, a day trip from Collioure to Aix-en-Provence is not really a great idea; Croatia to Collioure will be a whole day; Venice to Hvar is a long journey; etc. It sounds like you're buzzing around a lot (which of course some people like but I find less rewarding).

You may wish to consider visiting Venice and Florence (I assume that's 3 nights in each) before Teramo, then catch the ferry from Ancona. Anyway you look at it, it's a long journey from Venice to Hvar.

Do you fly home from Barcelona?
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 08:53 PM

Collioure to Aix is some day trip! I love Aix, but I for sure would not take a six to eight hour round trip for only a few hours there. You need at least a full day there, preferably a day and night or more.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 05:38 AM

Would you consider spending your time in Croatia in Istria instead?
Otherwise, flying is the only potential way to make it happen. Check Skyscanner.

Have you been to Florence or Venice before? Another option would be to go somewhere else in Italy instead of Croatia. I'd do that rather than spend all that time in transit.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 06:21 AM

Cheapest solution from Venice:
Venice dp by plane (easyjet) Saturday July 15th at 21.15 - Dubrovnik ar 22.30
Split dp by plane (Volotea) Sunday July 23th at 22.30 - Marseille ar 0.25, sleep there, rent a car and proceed to Aix (visit) - Collioure

Solution from Venice by ferry:
Venice dp by train 12.26 - Ancona ar 16.31, dp 19.30 by Jadrolinija ferry resp SNAV - ferry - Split ar 7.00am, dp 9.00 - Hvar ar 9.50

My proposal:
Teramo - train - Ancona or Bari - ferry - Split - Coratia thing - Dubrovnik - plane (easyjet) - Venice - train - Florence - plane (volotea) - Marseille - car rental - Aix - Collioure
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I looked into flights. Flying is more expensive, however it may be a more efficient way to get around. We could fly to Split from Venice for +$220 (3hr 45min), and fly from Dubrovnik to Barcelona for +$110 (2hr 25min). We would pick up a car in Barcelona and drive to Collioure. Possibly stop in Cadeques for lunch (We were there last year, absolutely beautiful) on the way. Aix-en-Provence would be more of an over-night trip with our home base being in Collioure. My husband lived in France as a child and has traveled there many times. We all love the train and soaking up all the landscapes.

Once we're in Split I was thinking of staying there for a night or two to see Plitvice Lakes and the city of Split before taking the ferry to Hvar for 3 days then another ferry to Dubrovnik for 3 days.

If we could leave the states earlier we would travel to Venice and Florence before Teramo. My husband and I have been to Florence and Venice several times and would like to show our kids a few sites before continuing on to Croatia.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 11:45 AM

If you're going to Plitvice, another land alternative would be to travel via Zagreb. There are multiple alternatives but Venice to Ljubljana (bus) and Ljubljana to Zagreb (train) is the most obvious. Maybe also check whether there is a GoOpti service from Ljubljana to Plitvice more directly. Still a long journey but half that of Venice to Split without flying. You can't really see both Split and Plitvice if you're only staying a night or two in Split. It's not feasible.

I always try to minimise any flights because I'm concerned about their environmental impact and because I find flying less relaxing than trains, ferries and buses. I find that even a two hour flight soaks up most of the day when considering the door to door journey. If nearly 4hours flying time, that flight Venice to Split sounds like it's not direct, which adds another flight.

If you include Plitvice, Split, Hvar and Dubrovnik in one week, I think you're packing things in too tightly and it may not be enjoyable. It feels like you have itineraries for multiple separate holidays.