Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Daughter/need suggestions

Search
View Poll Results: Best Itinerary for a mother daughter trip.
Italy (Florence, Venice, Tuscany, Rome)
0%
Paris/London/Amsterdam
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2023, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am wanting to take my daughter to Europe for 10-14 days in May or June to celebrate her college graduation! Two different generations/ages and interests (I'm 60 and she's 22)... so need an itinerary that appeals to both. Am thinking either Italy or Paris/London or Greece. I know this post is very general but wondering if anyone has suggestions on a fun itinerary for this length of time... also am on somewhat of a budget so need to take that in consideration because airfares are crazy. Thank you!

Rina
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 10:17 AM

Hi there,

In general, this question is far too vague for us to answer without knowing more about both of you.

There must be something about each of these destinations that appeal to you. Once you determine what those are, come back and those here can offer suggestions on an itinerary.
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 10:43 AM

You are busy this year, you have cruise and a trip to Denver.
But as you are on a budget then limit yourself to one country this trip.
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 10:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where would the daughter like to go? What would be YOUR first choice?

If it's 10-14 days, I'd pick only two destinations if they are some distance apart. Hopping on a plane in the middle of the trip (to, say, Greece) could use up most of a day. You'd also save some money if you didn't move around a lot.

Check the flight options were you to fly into one city and out of another. London/Paris is probably easy. Athens might involve a connection, and you'd also have that additional flight in the middle.
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Jean!
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 01:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO 10-14 days is not long enough for 3 or more destinations - ESPECIALLY if that is the total home to home. Using the max 14 days - that nets you 11.5 days on the ground and then you lose more rime every time you move locations. 10 days = 7.5 free days.

The number of countries isn't an issue -- the number of stops is. London and Paris are 2 hours apart by train. A London/Paris trip is just about perfect for a 1.5 to 2 week trip. But if you are more interested in Italy -- Venice and Rome with maybe a day trip or one overnight to Florence. Don't try to squeeze in a bunch of places unless you can add more time.
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 05:20 PM

I just voted in your poll. I agree with janisj - restrict yourself to 1-2 destinations (you could spend two weeks just seeing London, it's so vast that you wouldn't run out of things to see and do). But clearly you have a pair of destinations in mind. Hope this helps you find one to lean towards.

Lavandula
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 07:33 PM

Hi Rina,
As opposed to London, Paris or Rome, your dollar will probably go furthest in Greece. For me, a Greek itinerary includes a visit to the fabled Greek isles. In my opinion, those are best experienced with a more relaxed pace, not a go-go-go whirlwind itinerary.
London is of course a destination unto itself, but it could also involve any number of daytrips. Paris more or less ditto. Rome offers plenty itself but it too presents travelers with daytrip options.

I like Janis' suggestion of Rome-Venice. IMHO, and with all due respect, Amsterdam is just not in the same league.
With a mind towards your trip resulting in you and your daughter not strangling each oth Beware the straining effects of tryna see too much in 10-14 days.
Bon Chance!
I am done. the poll
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 10:56 PM
mjs

I would do London and Paris or Venice- Florence- Rome with 14 days
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 09:45 AM

There is no answer to this except what you want to do as any of those would be fine trips for some people. Some would prefer one over another. Also, depends on past history, etc.

I frequently do at least 3 destinations in a 10-14 day trip to Europe, in fact, I'd be bored spending two weeks in one location. But the issue is for many of use, there are many places to see that interest us, and spending all our time in one location is a waste of money and time (time meaning how long the flights to these places are from the US, and time in terms of vacation time off, also) as then we couldn't see lots of things in the world we wanted to.

I don't find it difficult at all to see that many places in a couple weeks. I suppose that depends what is meant by "destination", also. For example, even when I spend a week in Provence, I will move hotels at least once to stay in different areas. I usually visit at least two cities in a country in a week. There is only one city where I travel that I spend a week routinely for personal reasons. I wouldn't pick 3 destinations a 6 hour flight or train trip apart on the same trip, no. It also does not take me an entire day to just move to a new place, I'm usually there by noon and checked in.

For example, on my last trip to Europe I spent 3 days in Gdansk, 2-3 days in Poznan, 4 days in Berlin and I was supposed to spend another 4 in Paris but I went home as it was summer and they had a horrible heat wave in Paris that year. Train from Gdansk to Poznan took a couple hours I suppose, and then bus from Poznan to Berlin took maybe 3.5 hrs but I enjoyed the excursion and seeing the countryside, actually. The direct train wasn't running at that time or it would have been quicker.

So you two just have to decide which place calls to you and excites you the most, any of those would work and be do-able.

You'll have to check airfares but I suspect the flight to/from London is cheapest. For me, second is probably Paris and Italy always costs more as it is farther away.

You could fly into London and out of Paris I suppose. Hard to say as I don't know where you are flying from. If you really wanted to do more, you could take the train from Paris down to Avignon or Marseille for a couple days and fly home from MRS maybe. It should be fairly decent weather down there at that time. So 4 days London, 5 days Paris, rest down south, for example. I put 5 Paris as one of those days is morning train to Paris from London.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 01:51 AM

Paris and London would be fun for both of you and perhaps "easier" to manage as can take train between both. Otherwise would go to one spot and Greece and just stay in that area and relax. Paris and London both have loads to do. I lived in both cities and love each...Paris has gotten better lately while London has sort of devolved a tad. Both big and really depends where you go and what you do as both have rich, poor, residential, business, culture, night life etc..it all depends as long as you plan ahead and leave some things open you will have a great time exploring and bonding together!
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 03:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"both big" Paris is pretty small in comparison surely
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 03:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Which destination interests your daughter the most? That is the #1 question before further discussion.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 04:26 AM

actually greater Paris and greater London roughly the same. I lived in Paris for 5 years, London for 7. Its just that traditional borders of Paris havent changed whereas London gobbled up towns once outside.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 10:20 AM

Paris and London will always be there, so I say go to Greece.

Of course, Greece will always be there too, but I what I mean is that it's so easy and relatively cheap to get to both places and your daughter will always have other opportunities to go. Both cities are such a magnet for Americans.

The Greece trip will be amazing. After Athens, I would head to Meteora.