Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Recommended Tour of Teotihuacan and Basilica of Guadalupe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2023, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

There seems to be a myriad of pyramid tours available from Mexico City. could someone suggest a particular one? Thanks.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 11:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've been out to Teotihuacan three times, using drivers booked through the hotels. After the first trip I made sure to explain that I was not interested in the pulque/tequila/gift shop stop en route. The driver/guide will give you a short tour of some of the better preserved rooms before setting you loose to climb the pyramids and wander. Make sure you visit The Citadel to see the stunning Temple of Quetzalcoatl. I would also ask the driver to take you to see the nearby murals of Tepantitla. https://uncoveredhistory.com/mexico/...an/tepantitla/

I found one visit to the Basilica of Guadalupe to be enough.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't really need a tour for the Basilica of Guadalupe, IMHO, just read a bit in your guidebook and take a taxi. We are not of that religious persuasion but I found it very moving to witness how deeply so many Mexicans revere the Virgin of Guadalupe (there are many versions of "the Virgin" in Mexico, I'm not sure what the theology of all this is, different places have different versions). The Virgin of Guadalupe, and the image which the peasant, Juan Diego, showed to the bishop, etc....this image is all over the country, it's carried in the wallets of Mexican atheists, it hangs on the mirrors of Mexican taxis, it's all over the place. The new pilgrimage building (the old church is structurally unsound) is, well, sort of garish, people get on a moving sidewalk and slowly pass by the cloth image of the Virgin. But, the whole thing was impressive, for me, sort of gave me a better feeling of how powerful a national symbol this is. All of this FWIW. But do go.
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I did this combo, we just booked a driver through our hotel the day before we wanted to go.