Oaxaca day trips - tentative outline

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2023, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (late 60s, mid 70s) will have 10 days in Oaxaca - leaving very soon! I’m developing a loose outline of activities that are either scheduled or should be scheduled. I’m trying to keep a relaxed pace and not over plan but I’m also aware that it’s a popular place and can be quite busy.

So far, I’ve scheduled a walking tour for the day after we arrive and a half day food tour with Me Encanta Oaxaca.

A friend has given me the name of a driver who will be available during the time we are there, so here are my thoughts for day trips from Oaxaca. Each number indicates a separate trip.

1) Hierve el Agua & Mitla
2) Sunday market at Tlacolula & Teotitlan del Valle (for weaving)
3) Monte Alban & Santa Maria Aztompa (green pottery)
4) Thursday market at Zaachila & San Bartolo Coyotepec (black pottery)

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions? I’m trying to avoid doing too much in one day so we don’t feel too rushed or too tired. I’d rather see less and enjoy it than run from sight to sight. The archeological sites, the markets and a weaving town and black pottery town are priorities.

Last edited by progol; Feb 5th, 2023 at 10:06 AM.
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 12:27 PM

Hi Progol, those sound like good day trips. FYI, sun at Monte Alban is super fierce, bring a small umbrella as well as a gallon of sunblock. Suggestion: in addition to visiting the spectacular Santo Domingo church, be sure to visit the ethnobotanical garden behind the church on grounds of the former monastery. Here's my TR from early 2020 with lots of pics, just as covid was about to hit:

Oaxaca for 9 nights
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi, EYWandBTV,
Thanks for the reassurance and the suggestions! Of course, I’ve already read BOTH your trip reports and have taken down lots of notes! It looks like you had some wonderful trips there.

Again, thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 06:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I gotta say that our visit to the Atzompa village (for green pottery) was an eye opener. The little co-op shop had few quality pieces on sale, (the majority of their better work likewise being offered in Oaxaca) and the individual 'talleres' were pretty bleak. But it offered a good glimpse of the lives of the craftsmen and their families. For better or worse.
Another perhaps worthwhile stop not far from Monte Alban might be the ex-convento-de-cuilapam. It's where Vicente Guerrero was imprisoned and subsequently executed. Still visible are some of the original frescoes. It wouldn't take more than an hour to walk through andvtake some pictures. A bit of Mexico history.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

baldone,
Thanks so much! We’re going to play it by ear about which crafts towns to visit, so we’ll see whether or not we visit the green pottery town. The ex-convento-de-cuilapam sounds like a worthwhile stop.

Many thanks!