Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need a clean, safe hotel near Naples train station

Old Feb 1st, 2023, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I messed up our plane reservations to Italy, but not in a terrible way.

We are going to Sorrento and Rome with a choir group (and will stay extra days in Florence). We are to meet the group at the Rome airport to transfer to Sorrento, or to get to Sorrento on our own. I bought the plane tickets for one day too early. Again, an extra day in Italy is not a terrible problem to have.

Because we would have to change trains to get from Rome to Sorrento anyway, I was thinking of spending the extra day in Naples....see a few sites, eat some good food, etc. There won't be much time, so I thought it would be good to stay very near the train station.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 08:52 AM

I've stayed here twice and been very comfortable. The location was easily accessible and near transportation, the water and plenty of restaurants and shops. It's my unofficial home in Napoli!
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 08:56 AM

Lucky mistake. You do not need to stay near the train station. Central Naples is not that big. There is bus service, cheap and easy in some areas. Taxis are plentiful.
I have stayed near the airport a few times and in Sorrento or nearby, but others can make better recommendations in city center.
How many people do you need rooms for? Price range?

People can also give good transportation advice if you say when you arrive in Rome and when you join your group in Sorrento. Also, sometimes, a hotel will be listed as Sorrento for a group when it is actually just close. I took student groups to Italy and our hotel in Sorrento was never in central Sorrento. Give your hotel or the location for advice getting there if you need it.

Try to see the sculpture of The Veiled Christ in Naples. Herculaneum is definitely worth seeing if you have time as well as the archeological museum. The underground excavations are also interesting.
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smart hotel was a fantastic experience. It's quiet, modern, safe and right on the harbour. There's nothing like waking up next to a cruise ship. We loved it.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 08:06 AM

If you were considering getting to the National Archeological Museum in Naples (fantastic) look at Piazza Bellini Hotel and Apartments, 5 minutes away. The hotel is a 5 minute taxi ride or 12 minute tram ride to the train station.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 12:06 PM

Ditto to what annw suggested. We’ve stayed at Hotel Bellini twice and loved it. The archeological museum is one of the best. And it’s a pretty quick and inexpensive taxi ride from the hotel. It took about 15 minutes and maybe €20 when we were there in 2021.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. There will just be my husband and I. Price range is under $200; under $150 would be better.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

One more question (I know I may need to start a new thread.) Should the train from the Rome airport to Naples be pre-booked? I don't know how long passport control, etc. in Rome will take.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by realgirl58
One more question (I know I may need to start a new thread.) Should the train from the Rome airport to Naples be pre-booked? I don't know how long passport control, etc. in Rome will take.
Always risky to pre-book trains on arrival day.
After arrival, buy your tickets for the Leonardo Express which will take you from the airport to Rome Termini station.
Once there, buy your express train to Napoli Centrale station.
A few extra euros, but no chance of missing your train.

Personally, I'd continue on to Sorrento and just check in a day early at your hotel there.
You can easily backtrack to Naples for the day while waiting for the rest of your group.
(Checking in/out of a new hotel will eat up more time than the short commute from Sorrento to Naples)

Old Feb 20th, 2023, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!