4 day trips from Madrid

Search

4 day trips from Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2023, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 day trips from Madrid

When in Madrid in May, we'll have time for 4 day trips: Segovia, Escorial, Cuenca and Aranjuez. Those will be for Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon.
I know the Escorial and Aranjuez Royal Palace are closed on Monday, but other than that, is there anything to look into when deciding which day for which trip? Does it matter? Thank you.
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 10:15 AM

Are you skipping Toledo?
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

We'll have a few days in Toledo before Madrid, so not a day trip.
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 09:05 PM

xyz99,
Just so that you'll know and be prepared, I wrote in your other post that you could take the cercanías suburban/commuter train from Nuevos Ministerios to El Escorial, rather than from Chamartín, but starting in February the tunnel for the cercanías trains that runs from N.M. to Chamartín will be closed until December for construction.
So for both Segovia on the AVANT train and to El Escorial on the Cercanías train you'll need to catch both from Chamartín.

We just returned from San Sebastián through Segovia to Chamartín, and the Chamartín rail station is undergoing a years-long metamorphosis and is currently a giant construction site, so be prepared for long walks and watch for the temporary signage.
The Chamartín taxi rank has been moved to an area below and east of the station, and from the taxi area you'll take an escalator up (or elevator up), then walk west on a long outdoor corridor to reach the front of the station. Inside just look for the monitor to direct you to the AVANT train to Segovia.

The alternative to avoiding Chamartín--
the bus to El Escorial that leaves from the Intercambiador de Moncloa
HORARIOS_661.pdf

the Avanza bus to Segovia-- (also leaves from Moncloa)
https://www.avanzabus.com/rutas/madrid-segovia/
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 10:31 PM

About the Chamartín transformation
https://www.railjournal.com/infrastr...artin-station/
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Great info, Maribel, thank you. Not happy about it, but at least I know and can prepare for it. Even with all the construction at Chamartín, I think I'd prefer the train...although I read that going to El Escorial the bus is a good option, as the stop is closer to the monastery. Still a few more months to decide, thanks again.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by xyz99
Great info, Maribel, thank you. Not happy about it, but at least I know and can prepare for it. Even with all the construction at Chamartín, I think I'd prefer the train...although I read that going to El Escorial the bus is a good option, as the stop is closer to the monastery. Still a few more months to decide, thanks again.
I took the bus because of convenience to the monastery.
If I remember there were two local buses to Escorial,, each taking slightly different route.. One makes fewer stops, I think.

Last edited by danon; Jan 23rd, 2023 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 08:11 AM

I lived in El Escorial for a summer, and yes, the bus stops very close to the monastery, walkable, and the train stops at the bottom of the town and one takes a local bus, line 1, up to the upper town or it's an uphill walk.

I'll be taking the Alvia the first week of February from Chamartín to Salamanca and back, so I'll get to learn how to navigate around the construction and let you know.

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 23rd, 2023 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

It seems that bus to El Escorial and train back might be a good alternative.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 09:54 PM

The Madrid- El Escorial 661 and 664 buses terminate at the bus station at Calle Juan de Toledo in the upper town, San Lorenzo de El Escorial. It departs from the Intercambiador de Moncloa (take the metro, line 3). The bus ride takes 55 minutes.

The C3a cercanías train departs from Renfe station at El Escorial (the lower town). The walk down will take about 30 minutes, but there's also the local bus 1 that will take you to the train station. This bus is timed to coordinate with the train arrivals and departures.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Is the bus a crowded, commuter bus? In other words, can we get there and be a "standing only" bus? Or are they more touristy buses, that even if they don't have assigned seats only take as many passengers as seats? I want to avoid standing on a bus, for both comfort and security, and take the train even it that means figuring out Chamartín under construction.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by xyz99
Is the bus a crowded, commuter bus? In other words, can we get there and be a "standing only" bus? Or are they more touristy buses, that even if they don't have assigned seats only take as many passengers as seats? I want to avoid standing on a bus, for both comfort and security, and take the train even it that means figuring out Chamartín under construction.
If I remember the buses go often..they are local, not tourist buses, but I had no trouble finding a seat. As I said , the bus ( I cannot recoil the number) made a lot of stops. On the was back from the monastery, I made sure I took the other bus which made fewer stops.
If I was doing it again I might consider the train.

Last edited by danon; Jan 24th, 2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, danon. After all this back and forth, I guess we might stick with the train...
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 09:50 PM

The bus is a commuter bus. The bus numbers are 661 and 664.

Schedule for 664
https://www.redtransporte.com/madrid...-escorial.html

Schedule for 661
https://www.redtransporte.com/madrid...-escorial.html

If you stick with the train, remember that there is a city bus 1 that coordinates with the train arrivals and departures that will take you up and down from El Escorial Renfe station to the bus station at the top in San Lorenzo de El Escorial.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Maribel,
It's because your prior post where yo mentioned this bus 1 that I'm thinking the train is not a bad idea. It's more comfortable, shorter ride and getting to the site is not complicated. Win-win!
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 07:08 AM

Yep!
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you daniel, great destinations, but these are not day trip destinations... Knowing me, I'll need at at least a week in Barcelona, probably more. We're spending 3 nights in Cordoba and 3 in Toledo on this trip. Segovia will be a day trip from Madrid. Valencia and Salamanaca longer stays on a future trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 07:48 AM

Salamanca is a bit difficult to do as a day trip as you must take an Alvia train, not a much slower MD, from Chamartín that departs at 8:50 and arrives at 10:51, then take the return Alvia either at 3:50 pm or the last train at 8:40 pm, which arrives back in Madrid at 10:21 pm. There are only 3 of these Alvias per day, and they do sell out.
This is why I’m staying for 3 nights in Salamanca in February. It’s magical to sit on the Plaza Mayor in the evening and watch the goings on in this beautiful square.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maribel
Salamanca is a bit difficult to do as a day trip as you must take an Alvia train, not a much slower MD, from Chamartín that departs at 8:50 and arrives at 10:51, then take the return Alvia either at 3:50 pm or the last train at 8:40 pm, which arrives back in Madrid at 10:21 pm. There are only 3 of these Alvias per day, and they do sell out.
This is why I’m staying for 3 nights in Salamanca in February. It’s magical to sit on the Plaza Mayor in the evening and watch the goings on in this beautiful square.
I couldn’t agree more. Salamanca is golden , it literally glows. I wanted to visit Salamanca ( again) when I was in Madrid in October.
It was unplanned …the trains were sold out for days a wanted to go. Next time !
A personal preference , but I wouldn’t spend 3 nights in Toledo.

Last edited by danon; Jan 26th, 2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

>> A personal preference , but I wouldn’t spend 3 nights in Toledo.

Why not, danon? It's technically 2 days, not enough things to see/do to fill them? If so, I guess we'll just take it easy and relax before Madrid, which will be tiring with all the day trips.
I don't think I want to reshuffle the days and hotels anymore...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -