Old Jan 16th, 2023, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain travel by train

We are planning to traveling by train in April and May from:

Madrid to Granada
Granada to Malaga
Seville to Madrid

When I looked at the RENFE and trainline Websites it said there were no trains available. I must be doing something wrong.

What is the best site to book tickets in advance?
What is the main train station in Madrid and Seville?
Do you have any other guidance on how to navigate the websites to book train tickets?
It asked for a departure time. How can I look at the schedules to see the options?

Thanks for all your help!.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 10:29 AM

I think fares only become available for most trains 60 days in advance. Presumably the schedule become available at the same time. More info @ https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-spain.htm inc how to book.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As crellston says, it is probably too early to book. Especially for Spain, which tends to load its system late. Have you read the info here? https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-spain.htm
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 02:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same problem when planning our trip to Spain. I was unable to book train tickets until about two months prior - and even then I had to check periodically because they weren't available when I thought they'd be. Here are a few articles regarding Renfe that you might find helpful.

https://www.livingthedreamrtw.com/bu...ckets-on-renfe

https://www.spain-traveller.com/en/r...-availability/

Don't overlook the bus options either - you can book those tickets on Alsa - much earlier and much cheaper than the train, but I'd probably stick to routes of three hours or less personally.

The main train station in Madrid is Estación Madrid - Puerta de Atocha. In Seville it's Sevilla Santa Justa.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Spain rail pass, Stations in Granada, Malaga and Cordoba

Thanks for the information.

Has anyone used the Spain railpass? From what I understand it's good for 1 month for a designated amount of trips (4,6, 8 or 10). Do you know if there are any restrictions when you can book and on the available departure times?

What are the names of the main stations in Granada Cordoba and Malaga?
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

Granada has a small railway station that is located in the heart of the city, in Avenida de Andaluces.

Córdoba railway station, also known as Córdoba Central is the main railway station of the Spanish city of Córdoba, Andalusia.

Málaga María Zambrano railway station (Spanish: Málaga María Zambrano) is the principal railway station in the city Málaga in Andalusia, Spain on the Córdoba-Málaga high-speed rail line.

Google is your friend.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Is there a train from Granada to Malaga?
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 05:37 PM

Yes, I’m taking the Málaga Granada train in late February. It’ the Avant. In theory Renfe loadsthsfares 60 days in advance, but not always, especially this year when it’s been busy booking the AVE trains first because of competition with the new Italian IRYO, which has already egun service on the Madrid-zaragoza-Valencia route and will Commence service onte Madrid-Córdoba-Sevilla rte on March 31.

Just keep checking. Those fares will be loaded eventually. With Renfe patience is a virtue. .
Do not buy a rail pass. It will not be a money saver for you.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 05:44 PM

I don’t understand “it asked for a departure time”. On renfe.com you simply choose your departure station, your destination, select one way or round trip and put in your departure date. I use the Renfe app and keep my tickets in my account. Renfe purchases go more smoothly if you register first.

The Madrid Atocha station is named Madrid Puerta de Atocha Almudena Grandes, recently renamed for a recently departed famous female novelist.

The new competitor to Renfe starting March 31 on the Madrid-Córdoba-Sevilla route,
www.iryo.eu

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 16th, 2023 at 05:51 PM.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2OnRway
Thanks for the information.

Has anyone used the Spain railpass? From what I understand it's good for 1 month for a designated amount of trips (4,6, 8 or 10). Do you know if there are any restrictions when you can book and on the available departure times?

read the info on the Man in Seat 61 link posted above. It tells you how best to book trains,and also all about the Spain Rail Pass, and station names.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
read the info on the Man in Seat 61 link posted above. It tells you how best to book trains,and also all about the Spain Rail Pass, and station names.
I’m taking 12 train trips here in Spain in the next 8 weeks. What is financially more beneficial
to me: as soon as the fares are loaded on Renfe, the sooner I book, the lower the fare—dynamic pricing.
In all of my Spain travel I’ve not purchased a rail pass, just point to point. Ut read more about the pass on the website referenced above.