Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2023 Euro Xmas Market Trip - please give feedback!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!
I have being doing research to take my parents (late 60s) to see some European Christmas markets the first week of Dec 2023. I've poured over articles and these forums and came up with the following itinerary, based mainly on proximity to travel in between by train and getting to see a little something in 3 different countries over 9 to 10 days. I'd love feedback on those who have been to these cities and markets (which all tend to have rave reviews, but of course, I know they will be tourist crazy at that time). Am I missing a better city? Is there an activity in one of the towns that we MUST do? Is my timing too tight? (Of course, I know we'll be busy busy and won't get to see everything each city has to offer.) I would love any constructive feedback you can offer! Thank you!!

Xmas Market 2023 Itinerary:
12/1 Fly into Nuremberg, Germany, 2 nights stay
12/3 Train to Dresden, Germany, 2 nights stay
12/5 Train to Prague, Czech Rep, 2 nights stay
12/7 Train to Vienna, Austria, 2 nights stay
12/9 Fly back to US
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 01:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
12/1 Fly into Nuremberg, Germany, 2 nights stay
12/3 Train to Dresden, Germany, 2 nights stay
12/5 Train to Prague, Czech Rep, 2 nights stay
12/7 Train to Vienna, Austria, 2 nights stay
12/9 Fly back to US

Not a sensible itinerary IMO. Too much territory over too few days . . . Four cities - some quite far apart, in seven useable days. 2 night stays net you 1 full day in each city . . . Which may be all you want in those places -- but it means constant packing and moving.

You have one (likely jet lagged) day in Nuremberg) Then Nuremberg > Dresden by train takes 4+ to 5+ hours .Dresden to Prague is a little better only taking about 2.5 hours. Then Prague to Vienna is another 4+ to 5+ hour journey.

If it was me -- I'd re-think the whole itinerary and simplify it by removing at least one city and maybe subsituting some of the others.

Old Jan 6th, 2023, 02:51 PM

Have you looked at airfares for arriving in Nuremberg (Nürnberg) by air? If you don't pick a hub airport (Frankfurt, Munich) it can be a bit pricier, so check that out. Otherwise you can just land in Munich but that's no hardship, although you will want to know that now for planning purposes.

Germany is where the Christmas markets started - Nuremberg easily the most famous (the Christkindlmarkt), but Dresden and parts surrounding the original home of the markets, so definitely keep those two. You might be better off cutting out Prague and Vienna and just including a city like Munich and finish there, you have so few days on the ground. Or find more days if you want to see Prague and Vienna. With your travelling days (and serious travelling time) you have barely any time anywhere - two nights is one day, think of it like that.

Lavandula
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 04:06 PM

We spent eight days in Vienna in 2019 and that was a perfect time to visit almost all of the Christmas markets (11...large and small) spread over the city. What was nice about Vienna was all the INDOOR sights as well such as the museums, the horse show, the palaces, the treasury, etc (check out my trip report posted under my pen name, Janeyre). Sometimes it was a 2for1, visit the museum and there was a market in front of it, visit a palace and there was a Christmas market. Not that you should spend all your time in Vienna if you want to travel around but think about what the city can offer you all in addition to the markets.

If you do go to Nuremberg, think about Rothenburg as well. We once (2017?) took a 3-hour bus ride from Prague train station to Nuremberg train station. Nonstop ride, comfortable bus, complete with a toilet for emergencies (and I needed that toilet w/ some sort of stomach bug). It was a shorter trip than the train would have been and placed us across the street from the historic area where the Christmas Markets will be.

Agree with lavandula and janisj's comments.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Revising - thanks for great advice

Thanks for the great advice and input all! I have revised my days and towns a bit as well as stay times for us. I think a 4 city effort would leave us all grumpy and exhausted by the end. My parents also added Rothenburg, which I know is said to be the Disney of Xmas cities, but I think they will love it. Here's the latest:
11/30 Take evening flight
12/1 Fly into Nuremberg, Germany in early afternoon, 3 nights stay (12/3 Daytrip private tour to Rothenburg)
12/4 Train (4hrs, leave by noon) to Dresden, Germany, 2 nights stay
12/6 Bus (2hrs, leave by 2pm) to Prague, Czech Rep, 3 nights stay
12/9 Fly back to US

Can anyone recommend favorite things to see (besides the Xmas market) in Dresden or especially Prague? Thanks again!
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 07:42 AM

Wee did the Christmas Markets just last month, but different cities than what you are planning. We have been to Dresden, Prague and Rothenburg though and loved all of them. In Rothenburg, be sure to do the Night Watchman Tour. I know people say the town gets super crowded, but when we were there that tour was the most crowded of anything we saw. It is a very good tour! In Dresden and Prague, I highly recommend taking walking tours. In Prague we did an early morning one that started at 8am, so we were able to see the city before most everyone was up and about. It was stunning to see the sights without anyone else around.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Janeyre
We spent eight days in Vienna in 2019 and that was a perfect time to visit almost all of the Christmas markets (11...large and small) spread over the city. What was nice about Vienna was all the INDOOR sights as well such as the museums, the horse show, the palaces, the treasury, etc (check out my trip report posted under my pen name, Janeyre).
I'm also planning an early December trip to Vienna/Prague London this year - 5 nights Vienna, 4 nights Prague, 6 nights London. I really enjoyed your trip report Janeyre and found it really helpful because it was so detailed. And being from Hawaii, I'll admit that I found your comment on not being able to handle the cold so much particularly relevant lol. I was last in the UK in late October 2019 and I did find myself freezing at points - so I find myself frequently thinking about the kind of clothing I will bring (yes even this early).