hotels in Hanoi

Old Oct 30th, 2022, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in Hanoi

We are holding reservations at Sinfonia del Rey and at Peridot; also considering Sofitel. We're traveling late November so time to make up our minds. Any suggestions among these three hotels? Also, any suggestions for hiring a driver from the Halong Cruise Port to Sapa? Thanks
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 02:50 AM

I have stayed I more hotels than I can remember in Hanoi but never in the Sinfonia or the Peridot. from what I can see they are in decent locations in the Old Quarter at the top of Hoan Kiem Lake. There are lots to choose from in that price range in Hanoi. A few weeks ago we were in the La Siesta Hang Be which was very nice. Great staff and a wide range of room options.

I have stayed a couple of times in the Sofitel Legend aka The Metropole. It is situated further away from the action at the bottom of the lake in the French Quarter, perhaps not so convenient but good enough. It is of course a famous place having welcomed guests like Ho Chi Minh, Churchill, Graham Green and many others. I have mixed feelings about the place. Having stayed in a lot of Sofitels around the world it is not quite up to the same standard as many others. The new rooms are fine but the ones in the old part of the hotel seemed a bit pokey for a 5* hotel. It is expensive for what you get at around three or four times the rate of the others you mention.

As for a driver from Halong to Sapa. That is a very, very long drive and I wouldn't advise it in one go. Even on the new highway, I would bank on spending 10 hours in the car. The best way to organise this would be to book the cruise and Sapa with the same agency in Hanoi and get them to sort it out. I would consider spending a night in Hanoi after your cruise. Your boat wont dock until 13:00 or thereabouts. Much of the drive would be in the dark which is never a great option in Vietnam.

An easier alternative would be to get a driver to take you from Halong to get the night train to Lao Cai from where it is an hours drive to Sapa. You would be there for breakfast.

I would also mention that neither Sapa nor Halong Bay would be amongst my first choices ( but some love them) mainly because, IMO, they are vastly over touristed. Though when I was there a few weeks ago tourist numbers were still way down and things were a lot quieter.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 06:45 PM
mjs

What is the problem driving in the dark from Halong Bay to Sapa? Google has it as a 7 hour drive and if you leave at 1200 with some stops one might think you could make it to a hotel near Sapa by 8pm-9pm. i understand sunset at the end of November will be about 5pm.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 10:36 PM
mjs

I suspect you think it unsafe to drive in the mountains at night even with a taxi? I actually do not like driving in the mountains at night where I live and I suspect our roads are better than going to Sapa.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 11:53 PM

As regards your first post MHS, only an eternal optimist would rely on Google maps for a reliable indication of travel time! I confess 10 hours was a ‘guestimate’ but one borne out of many months of travelling throughout Vietnam over the years. The problem with driving in the dark in Vietnam is that there is a high incidence of RTAs in the country, more likely at night that during the day. The OPs cruise may well dock at 12. IME it will likely be later for many operators. Allowing time for disembarking etc. 13:00 or 14:00 is more likely ( OP should check with their operator) . Add to that a realistic estimate for the drive and allowing for stops, I can’t see an arrival time anything like 8-9pm.

With regard to your second post. Disagree by all means and put forward your own suggestions but please don’t suggest what I may or may not think. I have no idea of "where you live” or what your roads are like so it is impossible to compare with Vietnams roads. All I would say is that over the years I have witnessed many serious RTA, some clearly fatal and most at night. It doesn’t take an expert to work out that many are a direct result of little to no driver training and no regard for any traffic laws or rules ( if indeed there are any!). These issues are only exacerbated at night.

The roads to both Sapa and Halong have been upgraded in recent years and are much better than a few years ago. However I doubt there have been a corresponding improvement in driving standards. Indeed, faster roads means faster driving and probably bigger problems. Would I do that journey in one go? No!
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 04:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved the Sofitel Hotel Metropole but stayed on their Concierge floor where we found a great deal.
Old Nov 29th, 2022, 11:01 PM

The Metropole is aRIPP-OFF, for its regular rooms are like small closets and, though they KNOW that most clients arrive from overseas around 6h30, they charge one night if you register before 12 noon, which means a room at 300$ becomes 600$. You want de luxe, and MUCH better ? The APRICOT, perfect, for it is on lake Hoan Kiem, has a roof-terrace with bar and pool (great panorama of the town) and full of 230 superb works of art (lithos, paintings, etc.) since the owners also own the famous painting gallery Apricot.
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 04:56 PM

Drving in the mountains at night

Originally Posted by mjs
I suspect you think it unsafe to drive in the mountains at night even with a taxi? I actually do not like driving in the mountains at night where I live and I suspect our roads are better than going to Sapa.
Practically NOBODY drives in the mountains at night, much too dangerous ; cattle in the middle of the road, scooters with lights not working, etc.
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 07:43 AM

Hanoi is the capital city of Vietnam and is known for its rich history and cultural attractions. Here are a few recommendations for hotels in Hanoi:

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi: Located in the heart of the city, this luxury hotel is housed in a historic building and features a swimming pool, a spa, and several dining options.
InterContinental Hanoi Westlake: Located on the shores of West Lake, this luxury hotel offers stunning views of the lake and the city. It features a fitness center, a spa, and several dining options.
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 06:00 PM

The Metropole??? NO GOOD ! The less expensive room are big like cabinets and, above all, KNOWING that most foreign clients arrive early in the morning (around 7:00), they charge DOUBLE if you arrive before noon, which means that the room at 350$ becomes 700. A rip-off !! As for the Sofitel, it si an ugly concrete cube in the middle of nowhere far from Old Hanoi, with nothing to do and see around.

You want perfect 5 stars ??? The APRICOT, the only hotel on beautiful Lake Hoan Kiem; The owners have the famous Apricot Art Gallery, so the hotel exhibits over 200 pieces of art. Moreover, there are a bar and a swimming-pool on the roof, with a large panorama of the town.

Since we are with hotels, I recommend LA SIESTA as the 4-stars and the SERENITY VILLA as a 3.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 08:43 PM

Better report on Hnaoi hotels (and restaurants): I have tried them myself (I live in Hanoi since 2007) ne sleeps in Old Hanoi. In 2-star hotels (25-30$), the Especen (4 in two lanes near the cathedral and Hoan Kiem Lake) are the best. In 3-star 3 (35-50$), definitely the Serenity Villa, with its large bedrooms, and the very elegant Maison d’Orient, listed by Guardian UK as one of the 5 most beautiful Hanoi hotels. All those hotels are around Ngo Huyen St, famous for having many backpackers hostels. In 4 stars (60-140$), La Siestais perfect.

In 4-star Luxe, run away from the Sofitel Métropole, which regular rooms are large like closetsand everything atrociously expensive(600$ for a suite !!!!), but, above all, knowing very well that most tourists arrive at Hanoi Airport around 6:30, they charge double if you check in before noon, which means that a 350-dollar room becomes 700 the first night. Go to the excellent Apricot, the only Hanoi hotel on Lake Hon Kiem ; moreover, its owners having the most famous art gallery in Hanoi, it exhibits over 250 works of art ; panoramic roof-terrace with swimming-pool and bar.

The best Vietnamese restaurant of Hanoi, probably of Vietnam, is the Chao Ban, 98 Tô Ngoc Vân (north of Lake Hô Tây), which Chef is not other than the one of the famous Porte d’Annam, closed in 2020 for lack of clients because of covid. Try the Cha Ca fish, an Hanoi specialty, at the Cha Ca Van Long, 107 Nguyên Truong Tô (the original one at 14 Phô Châ Ca is bad). The best pho restaurant is the Pho 10 at 10 Ly Quoc Su. Another delicious (and elegant) Vietnamese restaurant is the 5 Spices, 27 Hong Phuc (behind Dong Xuan), with reservation preferable for dinner at 024 37 15 30 20. One excellent Indian restaurant is the Foodshop 45, 59 Truch Bach, south of Hô Tây Lake.