Suggestions for New Years Eve in Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2022, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We will be in Madrid for New Years Eve. It is the last day of our ten day trip and we will be returning from Cordoba late the evening before. My son would like to travel to Valladolid to see the Real Madrid game during the day but I am not sure how easy it will be to get there and back in light of the holiday. Any thoughts? In any case I would like to make a dinner reservation. I know many restaurants will be closed so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of restaurants they know will be open. I have reservations that week for Ornella, Atico, Taberna del Alabardero and Askuabarra. We also plan on trying Casa Dani and Casa Gonzalez. I have been looking on the Fork for restaurants offering dinner that evening but there are not too many.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 12:02 PM

Soccer game. You will certainly have to purchase tickets.
Trains will be running. It maybe too early for the time table to be published. Again you will have to purchase tickets. look at https://www.renfe.com/es/en
With the free/cut price train tickets the Spanish can purchase the trains are full quickly.
NYE You could take in a flamenco show, food is included.Map of locations: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...999999953&z=14
Restaurants-
90€ meal can be found here https://www.theknife.es/
Enigmatium for 130€ https://www.enigmatium.com/nochebuena-madrid.html
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 01:17 PM

ILuvLexie,
It's really too early on The Fork (www.thefork.com) to find definitely restaurants that will be open on New Year's Eve, as they haven't settled on their opening hours (if they will be open) and haven't decided on their menus. The Sagardi group (Cadaqués for rice dishes) and the Oter group (several in the Las Letras quarter) will be open, ime.

In our personal experience, most of those that will open will have very pricey gala dinners, with menus composed of luxury ingredients (caviar, goose barnacles, elvers, truffles, lobster & other pricey crustaceans, etc), the finest wines and champagnes and elaborate presentations. These are elegant, dressy affairs. Last year at Florida Retiro's Pabellón the price was €140--at Dani García's Bibo, €250/p--at the Relais Chateaux Orfila, €375 (I keep a list from year to year).

Some 5-star hotel restaurants will offer a dinner and "cotillón" (music/dancing) afterwards and open bar. The price will be in the hundreds of euros, especially this year due to the much increased cost of these ingredients. In the past, this dinner/music/open bar combo has ranged from €650-980!!! at the Palace or Mandarin Oriental Ritz, for example.

The least expensive NYE menu you'll find will be at an ethnic restaurant, such as a Thai (Oam Thong Thai) or Indian restaurant (Bangalore).

But the historic restaurant, La Bola, known for its classic Madrid dish of cocido, last year offered a decent value NYE menu for €70, if you're up for cocido and the classic Old Madrid roasting house tavern, Los Galayos, offered its menu for €145. Los Galagos would be my choice.
Here was its menu
https://www.losgalayos.net/documento...ja-2021_es.pdf

Last NYE, because we chose not to splurge, we opted instead for a very reasonably priced catered feast from Casa González of cava, charcuterie and cheese platters for our hotel room (we were staying nearby) and purchased our 12 grapes and other items (breads/desserts) from the Mercado de Antón Martín market, also nearby. The former is very popular with locals and offers a great value.

We did have our pricey Christmas Day dinner at Atico, but because we weren't hotel guests, even having reserved far in advance, we weren't able to snag a coveted spot on the enclosed terrace to view the wonderful Christmas lights. The food was fine but honestly the experience wasn't particularly special, probably because we were seated in a corridor and the staff was extremely busy.

Yes, most flamenco venues will have a NYE dinner plus show, if you want to go that route. The Corral de la Morería with 1 Michelin star will offer this, but it will be expensive as it was last year (315-395/p), and dinner is served in their separate dining room, not during the show.
Cardamomo will most likely offer a far more affordable paella dinner with show as they have in the past.
https://cardamomo.com/en/dinners-and-tapas/
(I personally prefer small, intimate flamenco venues like Essential Flamenco that serve no food/drink for the reason this venue states here: "This art deserves respect, attention and silence. That’s the reason we do not serve meals.The din of a restaurant interferes with the creative silence that flamenco artists need, apart from undermining the greatness of this art." but you may feel differently.)

(The Knife is an Argentinian grill chain way up in the northern business section of Madrid---just be aware that taxis won't be circulating as usual on Christmas Eve and NYE, so you would be best to choose a restaurant within walking distance of your hotel--been there, done that!)

BTW, I'm a big fan of Askuabarra, so glad you have that reservation. And that huge pincho of tortilla, bread and coffee breakfast or mid-morning snack at the always bustling Casa Dani in my favorite market, La Paz, will only set you back 5 euros!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Maribel; Oct 13th, 2022 at 02:14 PM.