Search

Should Go to Kingston Ontario more often

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2022, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should Go to Kingston Ontario more often

Hi Fodor’s

I know for many, this city of about a hundred thousand souls is probably off your radar, but for one such as myself living a few hours away in Montreal, I’m wondering why on earth my last time here was 2005.

2005 was my first visit and only a day trip. Then, I was struck the abundance of 19th century historic buildings, many built of limestone and brick (due to an explosion and fire in the 19th century) especially in the downtown area and on Queen’s University’s beautiful city campus. The water views are delightful as I had remembered, as the city is situated at the confluence of the Saint Lawrence River, Cataraqui River and Lake Ontario, with some of the larger islands of the Thousand Islands visible. Maybe my eyes play tricks on me, but the water seems to change colour as river flows into lake.

This time I did some activities in Kingston I had not done last visit, so just wanted to share my thoughts on them with you.

Fort Henry tour— A definite highlight. It was not difficult to see why this was a strategic point given control of the Great Lakes and Saint Lawrence Seaway. Even those not interested in military history I think might appreciate for the beautiful views of the rivers, bays and Martello towers one gets from up high. The tour was well-done and despite the beautiful location, life in the fort seemed quite brutal for the soldiers, if a good deal less so for the officers.

Wolfe Island ferry—A free way to get out on the water for a 20-minute ride to the largest island of the 1000 Islands. It’s not glamorous but there is an indoor and outdoor area to sit on the ship. Mostly used by cars; one can take an additional ferry to get to Cape Vincent in NY state. Currently the ferry docks a few miles outside the main Wolfe Island settlement of Marysville, with a free shuttle to the village on weekdays only, so I ended up only doing a round trip on the ferry since I did the ride on a Saturday. They are switching the ferry from diesel to electric and it is supposed to return to Marysville in the upcoming years.

One hour boat ride on the Island Belle in Kingston harbour— Nice if one wants to get out on the water but doesn’t want the 3 hour commitment of the 1000 Islands tour (that one was sold out anyway). One gets commentary, so learns the names and history of places one sees. I did find the commentary although interesting at times a bit lacklustre. Cinema-like concessions are available.

Kingston Trolley— A 75-minute tour of historic Kingston. Had an excellent and dynamic guide who really seemed to love Kingston; she told interesting stories throughout while going to the Royal Military College, Fort Henry, downtown, through Queen’s campus to the asylum and penitentiary. Would recommend this fully!

Kingston is a great destination for a car-less visitor. Arriving by VIA Rail, I took a cab for $23 into the city (lots were waiting), stayed at a Holiday Inn which was within easy walking distance of many restaurants, and caught a city bus back to the VIA Rail station from the corner of centrally-located Brock & Bagot streets for only $3.25.

May we all be thankful for many things this Canadian Thanksgiving!

Best wishes

Daniel
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

View from Fort Henry

City Hall from boat

Old Oct 10th, 2022, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the report! Always interested in places that work well without a car.
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

thursdaysd—Kingston is a nice choice also as there are multiple daily trains from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal that stop there.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 06:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
If you are still learning Polish.

"Cudze chwalicie,
Swego nie znacie,
Sami nie wiecie,
Co posiadacie.
A boć nie śliczne
Te wioski liczne?
Ten kraj kochany?

You praise others, you don't know yours....

I have to admit to being guilty of never having been to Kingston.

Old Oct 11th, 2022, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Bardzo dziękuję cdnyul

Czy piękny wiersz jest sławny?

I do from time to time still listen to a YouTube channel “Easy Polish” although I do spread myself thin wanting to master many languages. I know in Polish I need to work in Polish to develop confidence in active communication with declensions and vocabulary. I do tend to focus on one language and these days, my focus has been the German language as I feel I’m taking my skills in that language to the next level, now starting to be able to read a German novel much more fluidly (albeit in bilingual format).

I hope you visit Kingston one day.

Mam nadzieję, że miałeś też dobry Thanksgiving.

Daniel
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 09:37 AM

What a pretty city, Daniel, thanks for sharing.. I asked the computer to translate the happy thanksgiving....it has a pretty sound.
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 09:41 PM

Daniel,

What a beautiful country! I will most surely visit there with my family at the end of this year. Super excited!

Thanks for sharing.
Stella Leo
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Tdudette, Stellaleo—Thanks for reading!