Search

Germany and Alsace

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2022, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany and Alsace

Hello
I am looking for some advise about the best use of 8 days in the middle of a 3 week trip to Austria, Germany and the Alsace region of France. I am pretty settled on the Austrian portion, as well as the days in Munich and Frankfurt. But I have 8 days to divide between a base in Stuttgart and a base in Strasbourg. We will have car in both places. I have tentatively put the following together:
From Stuttgart
Day 1 Lichtenstein Castle and Esslingen
Day 2 Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Schwabish Hall OR Nordlingen and Ulm, Advise requested
Day 3 Hohenzollern Castle and Tubingen
Day 4 Ludwigsburg Palace and night train to Strasbourg.
From Strasbourg:
Day 1 Strasbourg
Day 2 Eguisheim, Colmar and Bergheim
Day 3 Kientzheim, Barr and Obernai
I am not sure where to add the 8th day. Should I add a day in Stuttgart and maybe day trip to the Black Forest? or more towns on the Romantic Road? Or should I add the day to Strasbourg and see some of the more renowned towns. Or change it all up? The more I google and look at the towns and nearby castles, the more confused I get. We are going to Heidelberg on our last day heading to Frankfurt so no need to add that town. Any advise? Thanks!!
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 11:44 PM

Ludwigsburg is 2 hours by train from Strasbourg. I can't see taking a night train for such a short journey. If you rent a car, you can take it from Germany to France, but drop it off in Frankfurt at the end of your trip to avoid cross-border fees. The fastest route between Ludwigsburg and Strasbourg by car is a little over two hours. A small detour to Maulbronn on the way to Strasbourg or on the way to Heidelberg might be worthwhile.

https://flic.kr/p/7z2xPr https://flic.kr/p/7z2jFD
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

I guess I meant the evening train, from Stuttgart to Strasbourg, so we would have time to visit Ludwigsburg Palace earlier in the day. Maulbronn looks like another worthwhile town to visit! Thank you!
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you not looking at Mosel?
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 03:34 PM

<<I am looking for some advice about the best use of 8 days in the middle of a 3-week trip to Austria, Germany and the Alsace region of France.
I am pretty settled on the Austrian portion, as well as the days in Munich and Frankfurt. But I have 8 days to divide between a base in Stuttgart and a base in Strasbourg. We will have car in both places.
I have tentatively put the following together:
From Stuttgart
Day 1 Lichtenstein Castle and Esslingen
Day 2 Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Schwäbische Hall OR Nordlingen and Ulm, advise requested
Day 3 Hohenzollern Castle and Tubingen
Day 4 Ludwigsburg Palace and night train to Strasbourg.
From Strasbourg:
Day 1 Strasbourg
Day 2 Eguisheim, Colmar and Bergheim
Day 3 Kientzheim, Barr and Obernai
I am not sure where to add the 8th day. Should I add a day in Stuttgart and maybe day trip to the Black Forest?
or more towns on the Romantic Road? Or should I add the day to Strasbourg and see some of the more renowned towns.
Or change it all up? The more I google and look at the towns and nearby castles, the more confused I get.
We are going to Heidelberg on our last day heading to Frankfurt so no need to add that town. Any advice? Thanks!!>>

Hi Lisa
Your trip looks good as I understand it.
A little more info would help in understanding the details which are needed to make advice.
What month is the trip?
Are you getting to Stuttgart the day before you are visiting Lichtenstein Castle and Esslingen? Or the same day?
What time of the day are you arriving to Stuttgart?
Where are you coming from before Stuttgart?
Where are you going when you leave Strasbourg?
Can the order of Stuttgart and Strasbourg be flipped?
Why are you not driving Stuttgart to Strasbourg since you need a car in both places?

My tweaks:
I think you will enjoy Ulm more than Esslingen and Rothenburg more than Norglingen so I dropped both Esslingen and Nordlingen from your itinerary.
I dropped Schwabish Hall as I don't think you will have time for it and Rothenburg on the same day.
I think Colmar is a full day trip from Strasbourg therefore Eguisheim and Bergheim have to go or added to another day.
I added Chateau Haut Koenigsbourg at the expense of a village or two. As far as the added 8th day I would not add it for a Romantic Road town.
A day to meander the Black Forest is good but a lot of driving.
Since you only have one day for visiting Alsace villages, I might use my day for seeing more villages.
If you want to see the Black Forest, you might drop Colmar to see more Alsace villages.
Don't let Google confuse you. It's all good.

Late day arrival Stuttgart (4 nights, 4 days)
Day 1 Hohenzollern Castle and Tubingen
Day 2 Lichtenstein Castle and Ulm
Day 3 Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Day 4 Ludwigsburg Palace
Train Stuttgart to Strasbourg. Evening arrival Strasbourg ( 4 nights, 4 days)
Day 5 Strasbourg
Day 6 Colmar day trip by train.
Day 7 Obernai,Barr, Chateau Haut Koenigsbourg
Day 8 Eguisheim,Kayserberg/Kientzheim,Bergheim,Riquewihr OR A drive through the central Black Forest
Day 9 Frankfurt with a stop in Heidelberg?

A drive through the central Black Forest

https://goo.gl/maps/eLjRpwv9DiAwFGP36
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

We are arriving from Munich to Stuttgart the late evening before our first day. We are leaving Stuttgart straight to Strasbourg. And from Strasbourg to Frankfurt We plan to leave early and visit Heidelberg on our way to Frankfurt and from Frankfurt to The Netherlands. So the order of Stuttgart and Strasbourg are set. I had not thought of driving from Stuttgart to Strasbourg since we like to travel from one destination to the next in the evening and don't like to drive (in a foreign country) at night. But I could use the extra day to drive through some of the black forest towns so I may rethink that. I like the idea of adding Ulm. It looks like such an interesting town. I am making adjustments to my plan! Thanks so much for all your help!!