Traveling to Norway

Old Jul 25th, 2022, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Norway

I am a 25 year old trapped in the body of a reasonably healthy 76 year old and want to visit Norway [first time]. Want to see and experience as much as possible, despite the old guy who has me trapped. Since I will not be hiking, kayaking, trekking, bungie jumping, ziplining, etc, I would appreciate some guidance. This is a bucket list and probably my last overseas, so I want to make it a memorable as possible...with your kind help of course. Thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 01:09 PM

I would need some sense of how you traveled outside your own country in the past to be able to give you concrete suggestions.
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not in any way a fan of cruises, but I very much enjoyed taking Hurtigruten up the coast. Start here for my trip: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...e-kong-harald/ - or go here for Hurtigruten: https://www.hurtigruten.com/
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:21 PM
mjs

Any problems with driving? Are you traveling alone? How long of a trip?
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:56 PM

I would second the Hurtigruten. It is not what it was, but is still better than a megacruise. Not a cheap option either, but then Norway is ever a cheap option.
Maybe fly to Oslo, stay a couple of days and then take the train to Bergen, which is a beautiful journey, with the option of Norway in a Nutshell, stay a night or two, then Hurtigruten either up and back, maybe getting off at Trondheim on the way down as the last leg to Bergen is boring and you are banned from your cabin, or get off at Kirkenes and head back to Oslo from there. If you can do both legs do, as you will see different things each way, even the the route is the same.
If you do do the full back to Bergen route you can get a ferry or a bus down to Stavanger to see a bit more of the coast before getting another train, or flight, back to Oslo.
Or get the ferry from Bergen to Hirsthals in Denmark maybe stopping off in Stavanger and tick off another country while you are at it! Might be a bit ambitious that though.
If you go in spring or autumn or winter you have the chance of the Aurora. Summer is of course midnight sun season but give me the chance aurora any day!
No need to worry about travelling solo, most people on board are very friendly and you will soon find people to talk to if you wish.
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 01:28 AM

Another vote for Hurtigruten.

we are at the far extreme away from large cruise ships. We have travelled to some beautiful, isolated places only to see the effect the ships have on the location.

However, Norways isn’t easily accessible for lane touring. The coastline is huge and the complexity of the fjords is helped by bridges and tunnels but it’s still time consuming to get around.

Thé boats are small but cruise standards and you can hop on off as you choose.
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 07:08 AM

I just found this company, which follows the Hurtigruten route, and offers very similar excursions but with environmentally friendlier ships.
I haven't compared prices. Hurtigruten no longer have the exclusive postal ship rights from the Norwegian government and I have noticed on their sites is becoming increasingly cruise like and commercial sadly, losing a lot of it's charm.

https://www.havilavoyages.com/