Help with planning a trip in Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2022, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are finishing a Rhine river cruise in Basel and would like to see some more of Switzerland. There are 6 adults ranging in age from 68-80. Should I try to plan our own trip or book a tour? We would like to do a scenic train either Glacier Express or Bernina Express. We will be departing from Geneva. I’m concerned with getting to hotels from train stations with luggage and finding hotels in the areas.
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 09:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would plan it yourself. I would use the trains to get around. Since you are leaving from Geneva, you might look at staying in Lausanne, Vevey, or Montreux. Beautiful towns on Lac Leman that are approx 1-hr (+/-) from the Geneva airport by train. There are taxis at train station you an use if you book hotels too far to walk with luggage. You'd research your hotels online in advance. That part is not difficult. Switzerland is an amazing country. Also very organized -haha- so not difficult traveling on your own. I predict you'll have a wonderful time. suze
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 06:44 PM
twk

Like suze says, you can plan this yourself. Glacier Express is much longer, but it does pretty much take you in the direction that you want to go, The Swiss public transport system is incredible. Download the SBB app, and see what is involved in getting to any hotel that interests you if you want to minimize transfers that will require you to handle luggage, or, if you are willing to spend some money, you can have SBB move your luggage to your final destination each day for you.

For Lake Geneva, we stayed at Auberge de la Gare at Gradvaux, just outside Lausanne. This is primarily a restaurant, but they have several nice rooms and this would be an ideal place for a group of six if they have availability. It's less than 100 yards from the station with trains that will take you anywhere you want to go on the lake (including the airport in about 1.25 hours with one change in Lausanne), with great views and very good food. You can also stroll through the vineyards and sample the wines.
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 07:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In that same area you can see visit places like Chateau de Chillon, take the scenic tram up the mountain at Rochers de Naye, a day trip to the Castle of Gruyères, the Saturday morning street market in Vevey.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Need opinions on this plan:
1. viking cruise ending in Basel. Spend one night in Basel
2. Direct train to Chur Spend one night in Chur
3. Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt ( will miss section of route from Chur to St. Mortitz
4. spend 2 nights in Zermatt
5. Train to Lucerne - spend 1-2 nights
6. Train to Zurich to fly home

hotel recommendations or other suggestions to this plan?
thank you
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 01:04 AM

First, when does this cruise end? Our recommendations (we live in Basel) would be based partly on the timing. Is this a summer or Christmas market cruise? Also: you give your party's ages, but no mention of mobility or other health issues (if any).
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Cruise ends sept 7 - morning. No mobility issues for anyone except luggage on trains.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 06:35 AM

There is an IC train that runs Basel SBB to Chur and will get you to Chur in time to catch the Glacier Express - in September there are normally 3 Glacier Express trains per day. See www.sbb.ch/en for the schedules. I would strongly suggest having the additional night in Basel rather than a night in Basel and a night in Chur. There is a LOT to see and do in Basel and not much in Chur.

In Basel the print out of your hotel reservation acts as your bus or tram ticket to get you to the hotel and they have an excellent network of local transport. Once you check into the hotel you will be given a Basel Card which gets you free local transport for the duration of your stay (and the day you check out). It also gets you discounts on museum entrances...and Basel has some 40 museums. I find that a medium size wheelie suitcase combined with a back pack carry on (day pack size) for things like my computer are manageable on public transport and on the short walks from the bus or tram stop to my hotel.

Don't forget to book the GE seats - you can do this 92 days out on www.glacierexpress.ch First come, first served! And consider getting some kind of train pass or Half Fare card. See the SBB site's section on International visitors re that.

Zermatt to Luzern - is via Visp and Bern if you want the quickest route. if you want a very scenic route then go via Visp, Spiez and Interlaken Ost. It takes a bit longer but the views from the train between Interlaken Ost and Luzern are lovely.