I want to stay for a month or two in a high rise VIETNAM

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m planning on a trip alone to see Vietnam , maybe another destination. I’m a 52 year old guy and just want to hire a motorbike and travel around from base to explore places within a few hours of base. I don’t want seedy etc.
I have some health issues so I can’t do a long long journey from NORTH TO SOUTH etc and I can’t travel light, Cpap, medication etc so I’d like to maybe do 2 bases a month each , so will maybe do another destination due to visa. Maybe fly somewhere for a few days while keeping the apartment for the month still.
Could do multi centre but I’ve seen some great apartments on YOUTUBE for £400 per month.
I’d like to maybe go regularly as I’ve saved up for some time.
Is this viable? Is there a best hub location for days out on a motorcycle etc?
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 11:58 AM

First off, foreigners riding a motorbike in Vietnam is a really bad idea. Firstly it is illegal. Second if you get involved in an accident it is your fault. Third if you get stopped by police you will be expected to pay a fine (aka bribe). The rate of death and serious injury to motorcyclists in Vietnam is very high. Every time we go we see someone lying on the road either dead or badly injured. The traffic is just mind-blowing in places like Hanoi and Saigon.

My wife and I have often spent extended periods in the country and whilst we travel around the whole country, we usually end up staying in either Hanoi or Saigon for a month. We choose not to rent an apartment as we much prefer to interact with the local people. In Saigon we stay at a homestay where the owners have become personal friends and quite often end up going out and about with them and they allow us use of thier kitchen if we want to cook for ourselves. Frankly though the food is so good and so cheap that we rarely do cook. The cost of staying somewhere like that is not a million miles away from what you are thinking of paying.

We used to get a 3 month visa but check whether that is still possible post covid. To travel from north to south we generally go by train which may suit you if you have a lot of gear to carry.

In addition to Hanoi and Saigon, Hue may be worth a look - a little more laid back than the other two.

I

Here is a link to our blog of some of the places we have visited over the years which may give you some ideas https://accidentalnomads.com/category/vietnam/

I also wrote a post specifically about the traffic in Hanoi - https://accidentalnomads.com/2015/01...urvival-guide/

Old Jul 7th, 2022, 03:03 PM

Thailand a better option, IMO. Motorbikes easy to rent, by day/month. Air BNB, monthly hotels, guesthouses all available and not expensive. What's in VN that's not in TH?
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 11:10 PM

You might want to check out Vietnam Coracle. The guy that writes ti travels all over VN by motorcycle, and may be able to answer your questions. . He even has lots of motorbike guides for vietnam on the site.That said, i would never ride a moto in Saigon or the nearby parts of the mekong delta. On both my trips to VN, we saw many accidents in which the moto drivers did not fare well. https://www.vietnamcoracle.com/browse/motorbike-guides/
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 02:57 AM

Vietnam Coracle as suggested by lcuy is indeed an excellent site. www.travelfish.org is another.

Totally disagree with the suggestion that Thailand is a better option. The issues with riding motorbikes remain and, if anything are worse in Thailand. The single biggest cause of death and injury in Thailand. Vietnam is cheaper and, thankfully lacks the enormous numbers of male expats and tourists that gravitate towards Thailand for the sex industry. IMO as, you seem interested in cities, Hanoi, Hue and Saigon have way more to offer in both in the cities themselves and the surrounding areas than do any of the cities in Thailand.

Old Jul 10th, 2022, 04:19 PM

WHAT? No sex in VN? Have not heard that news.
Of course, if the tourist cannot speak the local, do more VN or more TH speak English? Esp in the countryside where the tourist wants to visit.
Up to U, OP.
Have a great journey. I cannot care.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by jobin
Thailand a better option, IMO. Motorbikes easy to rent, by day/month. Air BNB, monthly hotels, guesthouses all available and not expensive. What's in VN that's not in TH?
EVERYTHING in Vietnam is not in Thailand. It's in Vietnam. I believe it's a different place.

Old Jul 10th, 2022, 06:52 PM

Each country has its own distinct features so Thailand for another trip.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 08:43 PM

First off, foreigners riding a motorbike in Vietnam is a really bad idea. Firstly it is illegal
NOT TRUE !!!! Since at least two years, it is legal provided one has an international driving license. And there are no more accidents than in Thailand !
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Larsay
First off, foreigners riding a motorbike in Vietnam is a really bad idea. Firstly it is illegal
NOT TRUE !!!! Since at least two years, it is legal provided one has an international driving license. And there are no more accidents than in Thailand !
You are correct that it is now legal to ride motorcycles in Vietnam BUT only under 50cc and only if you have passed a motorcycle test in your country of origin.

Vietnam is not the place to jump on a motorcycle for the first time or even for those with limited experience. Sorry, but I don’t get the reference to Thailand. We are on the Vietnam forum.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 11:55 PM

I menat "not more dangerous than in Thailand". Funny, I drive a scooter here since end October 12007 and I never had an accident ! Besides, more and more Western people rent a scooter, young and older. may be you should comeback here to see what is happening.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 11:56 PM

i "meant"
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 12:38 AM

I do come back frequently. Indeed we fly out to Australia in three weeks with a days stop in Saigon to catch up with Vietnamese friends we haven’t seen since before the pandemic. On our way back we have a week in Hanoi - can’t wait!

The traffic never seems any different, nor sadly, the number of accidents. Although, I do remember very fondly my first couple of visits to Saigon in the 80s/90s - no cars, no street lights and very few motorcycles, just millions of bicycles.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by papovisaseo6711
Especially at that age is the big risk.
How rude and so wrong! How is a 52 year old a big risk? The risk comes from twenty somethings riding mother cycles that they have not been trained to ride properly, local car drivers with absolutely no road sense, lorry drivers drugged up on speed etc. bus drivers watching to on their iPads when driving.

totally agree that it is not a good idea to drive in Vietnam but let us not blame the visitor.