Search

3 weeks in Europe with teenager and baby

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks in Europe with teenager and baby

Hi,

My daughter will be finishing a teen tour in Greece at the end of the month. My plan is to meet her in Europe and spend 3 weeks together. It's me, my 6 month old, and my daughter. Our current plan is to visit: Paris, Lake Como, Venice, and Nice. We'd like to end up having relaxed at some beaches, hence Nice.

I'm thinking to spend 5 days in Paris, 4 in Lake Como, 4 in Venice, and 9 in Nice. Does this make sense? I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to travel by train when possible, though Paris to Lake Como may involve a flight to Milan first, I suspect.

I don't want to run around too much, given the baby. But I'm also pretty active and would prefer to see a bit more, especially given that we'll be ending up with a good few days at the beach.

Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where would you meet up with your older daughter?

JMO, but you've picked destinations that don't offer easy/quick transits by train, esp. traveling with an infant. I would fly into Venice, then go to Lake Como, then Nice and fly home from Paris. Or the reverse, Paris-Nice-Lake Como-Venice. If you buy train tickets in advance, don't lock yourself into really quick connection times, and travel as "light" as you can with a 6 month old because getting on/off trains with a lot of stuff (and in warm/hot temps) will be challenging.

Venice will likely be hot and humid and very crowded.

Train rides:

Venice to Varenna (Lake Como) is 4+ hours (one change)
Varenna to Nice is 7 hours (2 changes)
Nice to Paris is 6 hours (no change)
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 07:23 PM

Venice has a beach, on the Lido, nice for an afternoon. Is your baby still small enough to carry comfortably and safely through crowds in a backpack carrier? Up and down bridges in Venice with a stroller will be a bit of a pain, somewhat limiting in getting around. Evenings should be nice, but daytime will be very crowded, especially getting on and off vaporettos.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 09:46 PM

Where do you plan to fly home from? Where can you easily fly home from?

The places you've chosen are all great but they're far flung, with long journeys between each. My daughter just travelled from Nice to Milan by train - things went okay but not perfect and it took them all day (they didn't arrive in Milan until 9:30 due to a hiccough enroute). Jean's proposal to travel Venice - Como - Nice - Paris (or vice versa) isn't bad if you want to visit these destinations. Try not to travel on or around 15th August. But, if it were me, I'd be inclined to choose places closer to each other. Maybe France or Italy but not both as each offer a vast number of places to enjoy. You could venture into Switzerland if that appeals.

btw I recall Nice beach as being pebbles and steeply shelving into relatively deep water. Others may comment on that. There are other beach destinations along the Cote d'Azur as well. We did really enjoy our time in Nice and there are heaps of good day trips from there if you fancy being more active.
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
Where would you meet up with your older daughter?

JMO, but you've picked destinations that don't offer easy/quick transits by train, esp. traveling with an infant. I would fly into Venice, then go to Lake Como, then Nice and fly home from Paris. Or the reverse, Paris-Nice-Lake Como-Venice. If you buy train tickets in advance, don't lock yourself into really quick connection times, and travel as "light" as you can with a 6 month old because getting on/off trains with a lot of stuff (and in warm/hot temps) will be challenging.

Venice will likely be hot and humid and very crowded.

Train rides:

Venice to Varenna (Lake Como) is 4+ hours (one change)
Varenna to Nice is 7 hours (2 changes)
Nice to Paris is 6 hours (no change)
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. I'll meet her wherever we start our trip, meaning she'll fly solo to meet me.
We wanted to end the trip someplace relaxing, having been on a beach for a few days. Is there someplace you recommend?
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dreamon
Where do you plan to fly home from? Where can you easily fly home from?

The places you've chosen are all great but they're far flung, with long journeys between each. My daughter just travelled from Nice to Milan by train - things went okay but not perfect and it took them all day (they didn't arrive in Milan until 9:30 due to a hiccough enroute). Jean's proposal to travel Venice - Como - Nice - Paris (or vice versa) isn't bad if you want to visit these destinations. Try not to travel on or around 15th August. But, if it were me, I'd be inclined to choose places closer to each other. Maybe France or Italy but not both as each offer a vast number of places to enjoy. You could venture into Switzerland if that appeals.

btw I recall Nice beach as being pebbles and steeply shelving into relatively deep water. Others may comment on that. There are other beach destinations along the Cote d'Azur as well. We did really enjoy our time in Nice and there are heaps of good day trips from there if you fancy being more active.
Yeah I suspected it would be a lot. Maybe we skip Venice. I just wanted my daughter to see it before it disappears