Changing trains and stations in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of our trip, my husband, daughter and I will arrive at Gare de Lyon around 13:04 on a weekday. They'll stay on in a Bastille hotel, while I have until 14:28 to check in for the Eurostar at Gare du Nord. I'm wishing now I had a flight from CDG, as they do.

I suppose I can check my phone at the time for the fastest public transport, but I'm confused by what it's telling me now. Walk 7 min to what looks like a bus stop on r.d. Bercy? Is D a train?

I'm super rusty on Paris, which is one reason I don't want to whisk myself up there underground if i don't have to. (The last time we took a bus from the Marais to catch the Eurostar, we were stopped for 30 min a couple of blocks shy, by a traffic incident. Tense. We finally rushed in panting, to learn that there was a strike, no trains that day. So I'm allowing two days to get to LHR.)

With <1.5 hours, normally, is there time to walk them to their hotel, then catch a bus on Richard Lenoir or thereabouts?

Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, I guess it's telling me to catch D from inside the station. Duh.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 05:40 AM

Just take the RER (the express metro) line D to the Gare du Nord.
It runs every 3-7 minutes, journey time about 7 minutes, total journey time concourse to concourse including walking and waiting, typically about 27-30 minutes.

A taxi will take 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic, and cost €18-€25.

Eurostar check-in opens 90 minutes before departure and closes 30 minutes before departure.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

man in 61, thank you so much. I owe my upcoming trips up to and across Scotland to your expertise.

Maybe we can find a café near gd Lyon to hang out briefly, soak up a bit of Paris, then I take the more prudent option D.

I seem to remember being penned in at St. Pancras after checking in early. I imagine that's how it is going west.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by stokebailey
man in 61, thank you so much. I owe my upcoming trips up to and across Scotland to your expertise.

Maybe we can find a café near gd Lyon to hang out briefly, soak up a bit of Paris, then I take the more prudent option D.

I seem to remember being penned in at St. Pancras after checking in early. I imagine that's how it is going west.

You need to get more acquainted with Paris

https://www.le-train-bleu.com/fr/

We will be arriving at and departing the Gare de Lyon 7 times in '22, '23, and '24. My wife won't let me dine anywhere else!!

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I've gazed up at le Train Bleu from the concourse, StuD. Also watched a Mr. Bean movie that must be set there. Does that count?

Would ~ 1 hour be long enough to savor the experience?