Ireland with Family Kilkenny vs Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are fortunate to be able to travel to Ireland as a family (kids will be 14, 12, and 10. Unfortunately, we only have 7 nights.

My plan is:
2 nights in Kilkenny - flying on a red eye so first day will be rough
2 nights in Killarney
2 nights in Galway
1 (last) night in Dublin with a 12PM flight out

Should we switch and do 1 night Kilkenny and 2 in Dublin?
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 07:36 AM

What do you want to do in either Kilkenny or Dublin? Two days is not a lot in Dublin as there is so much to see and do. Kilkenny is a great little town though so would repay the longer stay and give you a chance to get over the jetlag.

Best not to try and drive too far if you are hiring a car - and if you are, you won't want one in Dublin.

If it were me I'd get the bus to Kilkenny from the airport and do the rest of the trip by car (if I needed one) dropping it off in Dublin at the end. Or do the whole trip using buses and trains - are you ready for driving on the left and can you drive a manual gearbox? Car hire is expensive this year and automatics will be even more expensive.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding.

Originally, I had planned on 1 night in Kilkenny and then 2 in Dublin. I was worried about the redeye and that's why I switched.

Do you think 1 night would be enough in Kilkenny? We've done a similar redeye flight before and usually take a 3hr nap then get out and explore.

My husband is comfortable driving on the left and with stick. He is blessed with being able to sleep on the plane. It's a direct flight so he'll be good to drive
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 09:02 PM

If you only have 7 days I would skip Galway. Also is it possible to fly back from Shannon? you'll save a lot of time. Recommend dingle rather than galway. Killarney is not a charming town - recommend Kenmare instead!