Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

South coast Spain - visit interior July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites
Change of plans :
We now have a rental car hire starting 13th July til 30thJuly
Departing Lagos Portugal and heading east along the coast to Spain
I’ve booked our first three nights in Cadiz (Casa Patio del Panadero in the old town )

Next four nights I’ve got us into Marbella at Paloma Blanca ( a bit out of centre but it has parking outside the hotel unlike the old town in Marbella)

Any suggestions as to the next leg?
Nerja?
Almeria?
Mojacar?

we will need to head back from wherever we end up to Lagos around the 28th July to get the car back at 10 am in Lagos Portugal on the30 th
that gives us 15 full days of exploring

So what do you think?
Im keen to see Seville Cordoba Granada Ronda but initially when I booked the Seville accommodation the hotel staff told me it would be 40 degrees in July (104 F) hence the 10% summer discount 😆

I don’t mind the heat ( live in Australia) but I think that’s a lot of wasted touring time if you’re restricted by temperatures

Apparently the coast is about ten degrees cooler so my thinking is that we stay there and venture inland if we think it’s bearable that day
otherwise we just stick with exploring the coast only

Its not ideal but I need to work out a compromise

Our interests are old towns history and culture
We aren’t great foodies and we don’t drink

We will be based on our boat in Lagos, from early July to September 7th
Car hire is expensive ( $100 euros a day or more) and it’s hard to get…
we can’t even get an extension on our existing rental at the moment

We will do a little sailing around Portugal but predominantly it will be a land based adventure

Has anyone stayed on the coast and done trips inland in July?

We may be able to secure another rental later but even if we postponed the Seville/ Granada trip to later in August, I don’t think there will be much reprieve from the heat
September is out because we will be preparing the boat to winter over in Lagos and then flying home

Thank you in advance !
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 10:18 AM

The Costa de la Luz is usually much cooler , probably around 10oC cooler than Seville . It’s personal but I never found the heat that much of an issue in Seville compared to somewhere like Singapore- with low humidity I’ve kicked a football round with local kids on the park in Seville during 44oC - I couldn’t walk in Singapore with 26oC and sky high humidity.

There are some lovely coastal towns and incredible beaches - my friend runs a surf school in Conil.

Zahara de los Atunes has some very good upmarket restaurants, Bolonia has in incredible beach , Tarifa has great shops.

Jerez is worth a visit for the Sherry bodegas.

yes, I agree about the car hire - prices are crazy in Europe this year.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by lanejohann
Hi Fodorites

Has anyone stayed on the coast and done trips inland in July?
Honestly that sounds like a bad idea. The way to beat the heat is to get out early. Then take the mid day off in a cool restaurant or even head back to the hotel. Then wander the evening.

Staying on the coast would make that much harder.

I'm not saying the only reason to hit the coastal towns is the beach but mid summer you'll be fighting all the beach traffic. You'll be paying for the privilege of staying on the coast. In short stay on the coast if you want to see the coast not if you want to drive inland.

No doubt Seville will be hot .
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:06 PM

Hot or not - I think Seville is an absolute must-do! Take the advice up-thread - explore in the mornings and evenings. Get out of the sun in the middle of the day (just like at home!)

Granada is wonderful - near the Sierra Nevada, so probably a tad cooler.

I don't think taking day trips from the coast is practical.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
The Costa de la Luz is usually much cooler , probably around 10oC cooler than Seville . It’s personal but I never found the heat that much of an issue in Seville compared to somewhere like Singapore- with low humidity I’ve kicked a football round with local kids on the park in Seville during 44oC - I couldn’t walk in Singapore with 26oC and sky high humidity.

There are some lovely coastal towns and incredible beaches - my friend runs a surf school in Conil.

Zahara de los Atunes has some very good upmarket restaurants, Bolonia has in incredible beach , Tarifa has great shops.

Jerez is worth a visit for the Sherry bodegas.

yes, I agree about the car hire - prices are crazy in Europe this year.
thank u
i agree
humidity is tough so maybe dry heat is bearable
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Honestly that sounds like a bad idea. The way to beat the heat is to get out early. Then take the mid day off in a cool restaurant or even head back to the hotel. Then wander the evening.

Staying on the coast would make that much harder.

I'm not saying the only reason to hit the coastal towns is the beach but mid summer you'll be fighting all the beach traffic. You'll be paying for the privilege of staying on the coast. In short stay on the coast if you want to see the coast not if you want to drive inland.

No doubt Seville will be hot .
noted
thank u
we will explore coast and leave a week to head inland
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margo_oz
Hot or not - I think Seville is an absolute must-do! Take the advice up-thread - explore in the mornings and evenings. Get out of the sun in the middle of the day (just like at home!)

Granada is wonderful - near the Sierra Nevada, so probably a tad cooler.

I don't think taking day trips from the coast is practical.
thank u
will look at booking Granada accommodation
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 11:22 PM

Beaches will be busy as it is vacation time in Spain.
The cost of fuel is expensive too.
There are toll roads in Portugal to pay for as well. https://www.portugaltolls.com/en