Obama Portraits in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

The official portraits of the Obamas will be at the de Young Museum in San Francisco beginning on June 18th until August 14th. Much as I dislike the drive I just may have to do it to see these beautiful paintings.

https://deyoung.famsf.org/exhibition...portraits-tour

They'll be at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts after SF, the end of their tour.

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oddly, Mrs. Obama's portrait was not next to the President's when I visited the Portrait Gallery.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 08:05 PM

I am looking forward to seeing it.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 08:49 AM

I"ve seen them numerous times in the Portrait Gallery. I don't really like them at all. The one of Obama is okay, the background weird but at least he looks like himself and it's a decent portrait painting. The one of Mrs. Obama doesn't look remotely like here and looks like some Disney princess or something. Very odd choice, I suppose she approved it, of course, to try to appear as someone above the common people. It doesn't even look like her, anyway (the face). I'm not sure her hair ever looked like that, either. Neither is exactly in the Whistler or Sargent category of portraits. At least better than Clinton's though, his was horrible.

IN case you think I'm saying that because I dislike Democrats or the Obamas, I don't. I just think her portrait in particular is really bad and I think she should have wanted something more believable and down-to-earth. Presidential and first lady portraits are not supposed to be as if dressing up for a fantasy ball, it is a work situation.

But you know what they look like from the photos, so if you think there are going to be greater in person and worth a special trip, go for it.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 09:34 AM

I like Kehinde Wiley's work far more than the artist chosen for Michelle Obama. I liked the one that was on display at the Huntington in Pasadena
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/28/10499...oung-gentleman

The two Obama Portraits were on display in Los Angeles already, and I didn't go then, either.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 01:54 PM

mlgb, I am not familiar with Kehinde Wiley but I like that painting. Now, thanks to you, I want to learn more about that talented artist.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Christina.
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 09:37 AM

In person, the Presiden'ts portait is stunning and emotional.

All of the Presidential portraits are in the National Portrait Gallery. None of them have their wife's portrait next to them.
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 03:46 PM

'''I liked the one that was on display at the Huntington in Pasadena''

Actually, it is in San Marino. About 6 blocks from where I was raised (1947-1970) on De Sales St in San Gabriel. I rode my bike or drove up there quite often - just to wander in the gardens (no admission then). I think "Pinkie" is there with "Blue Boy".

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Jun 19th, 2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by StuDudley
'''I liked the one that was on display at the Huntington in Pasadena''

Actually, it is in San Marino. About 6 blocks from where I was raised (1947-1970) on De Sales St in San Gabriel. I rode my bike or drove up there quite often - just to wander in the gardens (no admission then). I think "Pinkie" is there with "Blue Boy".

Stu Dudley
You are right, Orlando Road is the boundary between the City of Pasadena and the north property line of the Huntington.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelemm
In person, the Presiden'ts portait is stunning and emotional.

All of the Presidential portraits are in the National Portrait Gallery. None of them have their wife's portrait next to them.
The two Obama portraits were shown first side by side in the "new acquisitions" hall of the National Portrait Gallery not long after they were unveiled. After that, POTUS headed upstairs to join the newly refreshed America's Presidents exhibition.

I think Wiley is fabulous. I also like Sherald's work.