Search

Traveling with a puppy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling with a puppy

Hello I am trying to get as prepared as possible. Gathering all information I can get before I my travel time comes.
I will be traveling with a medium size puppy that will be 15 weeks old (too big to travel in the cabin with me) from Germany to SanFrancisco, California. Flight is about 12 hours long. The puppy will be traveling in HOLD alone in a crate with pee pads, blanket. I am thinking of freezing water in the bowl that comes with the crate so the water does not spills through the flight, but I am not sure if that is something I can pull off.
Anybody has any experience with traveling with a puppy on long flights and what should I pay attention and have with me and ect.
Thank you for help
Ali
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 12:37 PM

What breed of puppy? Some dogs & cats for that matter cannot travel in the hold, for example snub nosed breeds.

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 12:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just very quick -- Is the flight non-stop? That will make a HUGE difference. Most airlines in the States will not allow pets in the hold in summer when the temps at the departure, transit or arrival airport is in the mid 80°'s F or above. SFO is usually not an issue with temps seldom over 80-ish, but if you are connecting through somewhere else in the States you most likely would not be allowed to ship the dog.

If it is nonstop -- Here is a handy hint for providing water for a longer flight https://www.petaircarrier.com/pet-tr...er-pet-travel/
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 12:44 PM

And yes, snub nosed breeds wouldn't be allowed even if it is a non-stop flight to SFO.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
And yes, snub nosed breeds wouldn't be allowed even if it is a non-stop flight to SFO.
my post was about getting info from people who traveled with dogs on a plane. I don’t care about what breed can or can’t go on plane and why.
please read my post. Have a great day
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mrnous
my post was about getting info from people who traveled with dogs on a plane. I don’t care about what breed can or can’t go on plane and why.
I suggest you do your own research since the answers here are not to your satisfaction. I have travelled with a dog in the hold transatlantic. Does that help you?
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mrnous
Please understand that on this forum, people may offer more information than someone specifically asks for. No one knows everyone and often people do not know something they should be asking. Extra advice never hurts and I know personally, I have been appreciative when I asked something and someone offered a different option about a place to stay or how to get to a place, etc. I will give you just one example. Someone asks about traffic in Florence, Italy, on a Monday because they are stopping there between Venice and Rome to go to a museum. We could just say, traffic is not heavy and let it go, but a kind hearted soul might also say, the museum you want is closed on Monday, or traffic is not bad, but you have to watch for the ZTL zones. Now, isn’t that nice that they would take time to supply that information?

Oh, by the way, I have experience shipping dogs.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Please understand that on this forum, people may offer more information than someone specifically asks for. No one knows everyone and often people do not know something they should be asking. Extra advice never hurts and I know personally, I have been appreciative when I asked something and someone offered a different option about a place to stay or how to get to a place, etc. I will give you just one example. Someone asks about traffic in Florence, Italy, on a Monday because they are stopping there between Venice and Rome to go to a museum. We could just say, traffic is not heavy and let it go, but a kind hearted soul might also say, the museum you want is closed on Monday, or traffic is not bad, but you have to watch for the ZTL zones. Now, isn’t that nice that they would take time to supply that information?

Oh, by the way, I have experience shipping dogs.
I did not mean my reply to come across harsh or mean. But on most of airline they have warnings about breeds that can not travel. And back in March they changed the rules about age for dogs to fly. It’s no longer 8 weeks but 15 weeks.
Dog can get rabies shot at 12 weeks so it’s 21 days before traveling on plane, because Germany requires that.

yes, I agree that was nice from the people to let them know the museum was closed on Monday. That is what I am looking for, that kind of information. I guess I did not specifically mention that I know about the dogs that can not travel for varies reason or health issues.

i am looking for information on how to make it pleasant and safe for the dog in my ability. Is it better to buy bigger dog crate or just the right size so the crate is not too big, so if flight gets bumpy the dog doesn’t fly up and down inside the crate like beans in maracas.

or when you buy your ticket and flying w a dog, how long in advance you make a reservation for the dog to get on the plane, since there are only two spots on flight. I am going to try reserve a spot right when I get my ticket.

i am not shipping the dog, I am flying to Europe and flying back with him.

one of the post mention about freezing water and not feeding the dog prior to flying for minion sickness.

Thanks for your reply
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balthy
I suggest you do your own research since the answers here are not to your satisfaction. I have travelled with a dog in the hold transatlantic. Does that help you?
I’m sorry if I came across as meanie on my reply regarding snub nose breeds. I am bringing a shepherd dog to CA. I should have mention that in my original post. But once I submitted that I could not edit my post.

That’s great you traveled w your dog. How was your experience? Would you do something different? How much in advance did you make a reservation for your dog to get on your flight? What information did you have to provide to get dog registered for the flight?
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balthy
What breed of puppy? Some dogs & cats for that matter cannot travel in the hold, for example snub nosed breeds.
the breed is Bohemian Shepherd, too big at 15 weeks to fit under the seat and too heavy to fly in cabin.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:13 AM

Since my animals were not actually in the cabin with me, but in cargo, I called it shipping. Perhaps wrong term. We have done both ways, shipped with a pet company (which I do not know if they are still in business) and also in the hold.
You are not moving to Europe? Frankly, even though we had to fly them because we were moving, or give them away (which we have never done), it has never been a good experience for the animals. I do not think it is possible. There may be some really chill dogs who do not mind noise, but ours have seemed frightened, battered sometimes, and one cat got loose by a careless inspector.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Since my animals were not actually in the cabin with me, but in cargo, I called it shipping. Perhaps wrong term. We have done both ways, shipped with a pet company (which I do not know if they are still in business) and also in the hold.
You are not moving to Europe? Frankly, even though we had to fly them because we were moving, or give them away (which we have never done), it has never been a good experience for the animals. I do not think it is possible. There may be some really chill dogs who do not mind noise, but ours have seemed frightened, battered sometimes, and one cat got loose by a careless inspector.

What I worry the most is noise. Animals have such a good hearing and being under the plane with that level of noise for 11 hours seems too harsh. I wish there would be like a bonnet w strings that could be put on their heads to cover their ears.
anyway, I will hope for the best.

i am not moving to Europe, I’m going over there to pick one up. Just waiting till he hits 15 weeks
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you subject the unfortunate animal to this kind of trauma, when you could pick a breed with greater availability in the US?
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Why would you subject the unfortunate animal to this kind of trauma, when you could pick a breed with greater availability in the US?
With some of our experiences, I have to agree 100% with Thursdays.

I have become an absolute fanatic about “shipping” or “flying“ if you will, pets. Most are fine until they are not.

Not what you want, but why? I understand if you have a pet and it is already part of your family, but a new little puppy?
Have you ever had ear pain at take off or landing? They give babies something to suck on and adults have something for their ears or gum to chew. Imagine a baby dog.

None of this is likely advice you are seeking, but it is my experience. If you are determined to do it, a few of things.

Having done one long flight, we just don’t do it. With so many possibilities, having a non-stop is no guarantee of a problem free flight. One of our flights encountered storms. We went to a different airport, then had several hours delay. I demanded they take my pets off the plane and let me have them during the delay. It was a real fight, but they finally did. It was awful. We drive or take multiple flights now.

Last time my daughter moved with pets, she got a ticket for NY from Europe and spent the night in a hotel with all of her pets, before catching an early flight the next morning on home. Of course, it was dreadfully expensive, but there was less risk of a flight being detoured or delayed in some way. We actually drove several hours to meet her and help with transporting the pets to and from the hotel.

Sometimes, inspectors take the pet out to search a crate for drugs. When you get to the airport, ask if they will be doing that. Request they take you to an enclosed space to do it. Animals that get out in a terminal get really frightened. Dogs are less likely to run than a cat, but it happens and is a nightmare. Voice of experience here.

If you do not know if this young dog chews on things, a blanket in the crate can be very dangerous!

The same for any kind of foam, pad or plastic lined wee wee pad! There may be something made now that is safe, but I am not aware of it. Hope someone else is.

Don’t know which crate your airline will require. They do a better job with pets now, and I think most are the hard plastic, but If the crate is wire, buy a heavy, thick, hard vinyl tray with a rim that fits precisely the bottom of the crate, nothing the puppy can get their teeth into to chew. Older dogs may hold urine for hours, but not the puppy. It may be wet and cold when it arrives.

Crate should just be large enough for puppy to stand and turn around, no bigger than necessary. If there is turbulence, you sure do not want his head banging around.

Those crate doors with squeeze closures can be accidentally opened. Figure out a way to guarantee that does not happen, but nothing the puppy can eat or chew.

Assume you have checked and know current requirements for entering US.

Well, enough of my gloom and doom. Others probably have more positive experiences.

Old Jun 24th, 2022, 11:30 PM

My post will be a whole lot more doom and gloom than Sassafrass'

I HAVE flown transatlantic with dogs (and a cat) and this won't please you - but hey what the heck. . . . I personally would NOT do it. I will never take a pet in cargo ever again. Just too many things can go wrong - and you would hate yourself if your actions ended up hurting (or killing) your puppy.

My animals survived but the Scottie was truly traumatized and had a total personality change - was never the same again. The Airedale was a very mellow 5 year old and did better but it was nearly a year before he could tolerate loud noises - not talking fireworks here, but just the dishwasher (had an old clunky / loud one at the time) or whole house fan coming on triggered shaking. The cat probably managed things the best. And this was long before air travel fell apart because of staffing shortages the last 2+ years.

If I were ever again to move to Europe and had pets at the time -- I would not fly them but would find them good homes here in the States. It would kill me but taking a pet across the world would be for MY benefit and does nothing good for the dog/cat.

With all the travel disruption in this new post-covid age just too many things can go wrong. Luggage handlers are overworked and understaffed just regular luggage is being lost/delayed/sent on different flights to be delivered days later -- same thing can happen to a dog crate. Or - hundreds of flights are being delayed/cancelled/diverted every day - what if you are on a flight that sits on the tarmac for 4 hours, then you have to return to the gate because the air crew times out and you can't get re-booked until hours or days later. Happens multiple times every day with every airline.

And for a puppy you don't even know his personality. Just don't do it.

(And, yes - lots of pets do fly successfully - but the odds are a lot worse now. )

Old Jun 25th, 2022, 12:14 AM

I would not be buying a puppy from Europe, I would not buy one full stop. Too many in rescues. I’m not a fan of breeders.

I would not put a young puppy in the hold.

On my recent flight from SXM to CDG, there were several cats & dogs in the cabin, a couple of them were crying when coming into land, rest of the time they were quiet.

If I was moving transatlantically with my pets I’d consider a ship that takes pets if such a thing still exists.

Last edited by balthy; Jun 25th, 2022 at 12:22 AM.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cunard allows pets: https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/inspira...duckduckgo.com

Cunard is still doing Transatlantic voyages out of New York.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 06:03 AM

Thank you! It looks like a great way to travel with a dog.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:05 AM

Yes -- back when I lived in the UK I was friends with one couple who had two Irish Wolfhounds and another woman who bred shelties. Both returned to the States (different years) they opted for the QEII as the only viable option at the time. Neither would consider flying their animals.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:32 AM

I had forgotten that. It is the only humane way to travel with pets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -