5 nights in Italy

Search

5 nights in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2022, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 nights in Italy

Leaving for Italy in about 6 weeks, mid-July. Already doing Venice, Rome, Florence. We have additional 5 nights that I just can't make a decision on! The problem is that we have four people with very different wants.

22 year-old daughter wants to spend some time on the beach but no one else is all that interested. I could do a beach location IF we could find a hotel where I could chill on a balcony with a glass of wine and an awesome ocean view from the room. Would greatly prefer a casual, smaller beach town to a trendy location, as long as they had good food and a few things to do. I've seen some hotels on the Amalfi coast that look great as far as views go but not sure that's really for me.

22DD suggested Sicily. The problem is that I am in my 60s with bad knees and fairly low heat tolerance and I have ZERO interest roasting like a lobster on one of these big beaches I keep seeing. But there are a lot of historical sites there.

My top things to do would be great food, history, local artisans. I was originally thinking Bologna/Parma/Modena or possibly Siena. Cinque Terra looks awesome but not sure my knees are up for it.

Could possibly split up into 2 nights beach location/3 nights not, although 5 nights one location, at least for a base, is preferable. We are not averse to renting a car and my husband has driven in Italy before.

Suggestions?

Last edited by EmeraldCity41; May 28th, 2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old May 28th, 2022, 09:22 PM

What about Camogli which is a small village about 30 minutes drive east along the coast from Genoa. You could stay at the Cenobio dei Dogi where you are right on the sea with lovely views, there’s a pool and also a beach, although it’s a pebbly beach. Good food and wine in this region (Liguria), the home of pesto and focaccia, lots of fresh seafood. Plenty to see in Genoa or take the ferry or train to some of the nearby towns like Portofino and Santa Margherita Ligure, or just explore Camogli and relax.

There are also some nice coastal towns in Tuscany not too far from Florence. Forte di Marmi is one, not sure if there is a hotel right on the beach, but there are bagni -beach clubs. You can book one of these for the day and walk over from your hotel. There are sandy beaches here.
Old May 28th, 2022, 09:38 PM

raincitygirl’s suggestion sounds wonderful to me!
Don’t know the best place to fit it in logistically.
I would definitely not go to Sicily for only four days.
How long will you be in Venice?
Does your daughter know there is a big beach on the Lido?
There are also beaches fairly close to Rome.
Are your flights already booked arriving and departing Italy? Where?

l

Last edited by Sassafrass; May 28th, 2022 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Comment
Old May 29th, 2022, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
raincitygirl’s suggestion sounds wonderful to me!
Don’t know the best place to fit it in logistically.
I would definitely not go to Sicily for only four days.
How long will you be in Venice?
Does your daughter know there is a big beach on the Lido?
There are also beaches fairly close to Rome.
Are your flights already booked arriving and departing Italy? Where?

l
There are actually beaches right in Rome, at Ostia. A lot of people turn up their noses at Lido di Venezia and Ostia, but if you want sun and sand, they have it!
Old May 29th, 2022, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Flying into Rome and out of Venice. Right now the plan is Rome-Florence-XXX-Venice.

I was actually considering Venice Lido as an option, any suggestions for that? I've looked into it and it looks like you need to pay for chairs, umbrellas, etc. I would love a less crowded area but not sure that will be possible in midJuly. I'm not crazy about taking up a half day in Venice by going there because we're only going to have 2-1/2 days in Venice (3 nights) and plan to spend one of those going to Murano/Burano, etc, but that would give us more time elsewhere if I wasn't trying to plan around a beach.

Will definitely look into Forte di Marmi and Camogli.
Old May 29th, 2022, 11:06 AM

On your Murano, Burano day, leave early. On the return, stop on the Lido for a couple of hours. Nice after a day of walking in heat. You could even have dinner there before returning to Venice. I like the Lido, stayed at a hotel there once, and another time, stayed in Venice, but took a long walk on the beach after lunch and walk in Burano. You will have to pay for chairs and umbrellas anywhere unless you have a hotel with a beach and all beaches will be crowded in July. Since it is at the end of your trip, you could add a day to Venice. Have you been to Padua or Vicenza or Verona?

I also still like the suggestion of Camogli.