LI to Upstate NY (Fear of Bridges)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2022, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a few similar posts to this one on the forum. I have to drive from Long Island to upstate New York (St Lawrence County). Is there any way to do this without crossing a major bridge? I have a phobia when it comes to bridges that cross over water. I don't have problems with small rivers or gorges, just large bodies of water. I can take the ferry to Connecticut, boats don't bother me, but the thought of crossing a bridge like the Tappen Zee or the Throgs Neck scares the hell out of me.

Last edited by sieveseals; May 25th, 2022 at 11:10 PM.
Old May 26th, 2022, 02:46 AM

Take one of the ferries from Long Island to Connecticut and head north until you are far enough so that the bridges are not troublesome. Otherwise use bridges that are wide enough that you feel like you are still on the highway if you stay in a middle lane where you do not see the edge.
Old May 26th, 2022, 02:48 AM
J62

You could go from Queens to Manhattan via the Queens-Midtown tunnel, then straight across Manhattan to the Lincoln Tunnel into NJ. From there, head north through NJ onto the NYS Thruway and further upstate.

If you take the ferry to CT you still have to cross the Hudson River at some point. I'd say the first bridge that meets your criteria of ok would be I84 to Newburgh. It's a 3 lane highway straight across. Or you could take I84 to the Taconic, and head further north to I90 and cross the river on I90/NYS Thruway Berkshire spur. That one doesn't even feel like a bridge.

Last edited by J62; May 26th, 2022 at 02:54 AM.
Old May 30th, 2022, 04:06 PM

You could also go to Manhattan via the Mid-Town tunnel, up the FDR Drive to connect to the Major Deegan via the Willis Ave, bridge (small bridge over the East River) and take the Major Deegan until you connect with the Sawmill River Parkway to the Taconic Parkway which will take you up north.