Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What’s the inflation situation in Greece these days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2022, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting Parikia (Paros), Athens & Nafplio in July. At the moment, the U.S. $ is almost at parity with the euro, which seems positive for my visit. In upstate NY where I live, all expenses are at high levels - gas for my car and groceries are particularly inflated. What do things look like these days in Greece?
Old May 25th, 2022, 05:06 PM
J62

The price of gas is around 2.10 to 2.20 euros per liter right now
https://www.fueldaddy.gr/en/results?...hens,%20Greece

2 euros per liter is approximately 8 dollars per gallon.

But that doesn't answer your question about inflation, just the current cost.....
Old May 26th, 2022, 01:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Probably the best way to protect ones wallet from the current inflation epidemic is to sanitize it frequently, put a mask on it
and keep a two meter distance from cash registers and credit card machines.
Old May 26th, 2022, 02:25 AM

LOL cdnyul.

A simple search will give you the current inflation rate in Greece, same with fuel prices.

But to save you the trouble of typing all that in, here you go:
https://www.inflation.eu/en/inflatio...on-greece.aspx

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/G...soline_prices/

Other sites are available if you can be bothered to look.

Old May 26th, 2022, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Gee, it’s no wonder people find these forums to be hostile and unhelpful. My question was anecdotal, not one to be answered by statistical data. I’m not sure who pissed in your cornflakes, but you might want to consider your purpose in responding to a reasonable question. Is it to be dismissive and obnoxious? If that’s the case, goal met.

Here, in Albany, NY, some grocery items have literally tripled in price in the past year. I was seeking responses to determine if the near parity in currency would carry through to Greece continuing to be the bargain it has been in my limited experience or, if the rate of inflation on typical goods will erase any financial advantage to the surprisingly strong US $.
Old May 26th, 2022, 04:05 AM

Inflation is a generalized increase in prices over time. In the short term it doesn't factor in substitution effect or anything else.

How much that matters to a tourist? I've no idea. Look at the things you want to buy and figure if it fits your budget.

The strong US$ means anything priced in US$ is that much higher in the € zone. In €. It may work out that in US$ terms the increase is less. It may not. Markets aren't that perfect.
Old May 26th, 2022, 04:44 AM

I'll be in Greece late Sept/early Oct. so can't answer your question about the current inflation issues in Greece.

Inflation, high prices and shortages are a world-wide problem so expect some higher costs.

Having said that in my many trips to Greece I've found it to be one of the least expensive countries to go to.

However, if you are spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to go to Greece then I guess you can afford accommodations, dining, souvenirs, etc. regardless of inflation.

Old May 26th, 2022, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. Yes, I can afford the trip (especially after having my wings metaphorically clipped during the earlier years of the pandemic), but I'll be interested to see if groceries in particular are significantly more expensive this year as compared to 2019 when I last visited. I'll let you know after my return!
Old May 26th, 2022, 06:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
nylily,
I did not read any hostile nor unhelpful posts replying to your question, just other travelers trying to help you.
Old May 26th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

I understand that tone can be difficult to discern, however, when I read things like this:

But to save you the trouble of typing all that in and if you can be bothered to look

I hear the suggestion that I'm being lazy or somehow out of line to have posed my original question.
Old May 26th, 2022, 06:47 AM

The increase in fuel prices is affecting Greek ferries, although fares were set for the season months ago. According to Danae.gr a basic economy ticket for Piraeus to Paros on Blue Star is €44.50 this year, Highspeed 4 is €63, and ChampionJet 2 is €67.70.

I’m told many cafes are charging €4 for a cappuccino these days, while I remember paying €3 a few years ago.

Don’t know how accurate this is because I’m not in Greece right now, but here is a website showing “Athens and Greece prices” in supermarkets:

https://www.globalprice.info/en/?p=g...ce-food-prices
Old May 26th, 2022, 07:27 AM

Sorry, I was snippy. But you really can look these things up for yourself just as easily as asking here. You can find the answer you are looking for that way, not the answers that you don't like or don't think are not relevant.

Inflation is high throughout Europe - as result so are fuel and food prices. They will continue to be high and to rise over the coming months. Whilst for travellers it might mean cutting down on a few drinks or whatever for many of those living in Europe it is going to get increasingly hard to afford basics, never mind a much longed for and needed holiday.
Old May 27th, 2022, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your always helpful and informative input. It's exactly what I was seeking and I appreciate your cordialness. That site you shared is very illuminating!
Old May 27th, 2022, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Way to negate your apology with an attempt to make me feel privileged/entitled to be in a position to afford to travel whilst for "many of those living in Europe it is going to get increasingly hard to afford basics, never mind a much longed for and needed holiday." Since you don't have the answers I'm seeking, maybe you might refrain from responding?
Old May 27th, 2022, 05:07 AM

That is not what I meant at all. I am sorry if you took it that way.

I just get frustrated with people who find this forum and ask questions about things they could just as easily find online for themselves.
Old May 27th, 2022, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
That is not what I meant at all. I am sorry if you took it that way.

I just get frustrated with people who find this forum and ask questions about things they could just as easily find online for themselves.
Then don’t respond at all. Move on, with all do respect hetismij2, snotty answer is your norm!
Old May 27th, 2022, 06:26 AM

Most of us do not begrudge you your ability to travel. but we do get weary of persons who ask questions that they cana find the answers to, with a minimum of effort, but they do not. I have had people ask, what is the distance between the cities of Chania and Heraklion in Crete. To answer that, one of the regular contributors would have to google "distance Chania to Heraklion." THe inquirer could also do that; why not do it before asking us to? In order to answer NYlilly'ls question about inflation accurately (not just saying, y esterday at my grocery, milk was more expensive) a contributor would have to google "official Greece inflation rate May 2022". WHy could Ms NYlily nott do that tfirst, and if not satisfied, THEN ask details.

Of course, if we don't doing simple research for others, we could just not respond. But itt may be useful to raise awareness that Fodor responders are here to add from their experience, for info not searchable, not to substitute for a basic initial "google" query . .
Old May 27th, 2022, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
never seen heti be snotty and not seen it now

Yes we do get some pretty lazy questions at time, sometimes you just realise people want to chat so chat, sometimes you realise that the question is not what people are actually asking, sometimes people like to be school masters, sometimes people like to hold grudges......

At the end of the day, everyone here is here as volunteers even those who ask and those who answer.

Being kind is not difficult, recognising that this is a monologue not a dialogue is important
Old May 27th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

I'm a librarian. I have an advanced degree and am quite adept at research. I was seeking personal, anecdotal information. PS. No one, other than my mother when I was a child, has ever called me lazy.
Old May 27th, 2022, 08:17 AM

I don’t think heti was being snotty either [just now when I typed in “heti”, autocorrect changed it to yeti 🤣]. I’m glad I caught that before posting!

Not sure about Netherlands, but British residents got a shock at the beginning of the month when the price cap on electricity and natural gas was increased, virtually doubling the fuel bill for many. There will be another price cap rise in October, just when people turn their central heating on.

Nevertheless, I find it’s just as easy to be helpful as to give a lecture, and when looking up references I usually learn something new. 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -