Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Early September Honeymoon Recommendations to pair with the coast of Italy

Old May 24th, 2022, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*I apologize for the long post but I'm just trying to give some detailed info that may help you make a suggestion that would fit best for us.

Hello! My husband and I got married in February and are finally able to get around to planning and taking our honeymoon! We are planning to go to Europe for 10 days at the end of August/beginning of September. We have traveled to Europe before (Paris, Florence, Barcelona, Amsterdam, London, Munich). We are looking for something that is relaxing (not go go go 24/7 like our previous trips) but we do need a little bit of action and sight seeing because I would be bored laying on a beach for 10 days, haha.

The one place we for sure want to go is the coast of Italy. We loved Florence and just Italy in general so much when we visited and both love beaches/water so the Amalfi coast is a must for us. However, we don't want to stay there the entire time as we do like to travel around while in Europe since its much cheaper than traveling in the US, so we are looking for a 2nd option to add to our trip. Our ideas are below, in no particular order. I would love advice on what would be the best option to add to the Amalfi coast.

1. Paris- we have been before but it truly is my favorite place in the world and such a romantic place for a honeymoon. Would also give us a good contrast to the the Amalfi coast with it being a city. We were only there for 3 days last time so there are lots things we didn't get a chance to see or do. I had planned on going for my 30th birthday next May, but we plan on starting a family soon after the honeymoon, so that may not happen. Wondering if this is the best opportunity to get it in but I'm also torn about wanting to see new places.
2. Greece- not sure which island. Like I said we love beaches and being on the water. Greece is obviously so beautiful.
3. Switzerland-not sure which city and honestly don't know too much about Switzerland. It does look super beautiful though and I feel like it could be be both relaxing and have activities if we choose to do that.
4. Finally, we have also talked about staying in Italy the entire 10 days but doing Lake Como/northern Italy for half the trip and the coast for the other half.

Other suggestions are also welcome! Thanks in advance!
Old May 25th, 2022, 07:39 AM

Do not try to do 2 countries in only 8 days. You are going to get arguments for each country from its proponents ... I could send you for a wonderful 7-8 days on the Island of Naxos .. with views like these from my friend and fellow Naxophile "stanbr" --
NAXOS SUNSETS -
TRIP around NAXOS -
/TEN DAYS in NAXOS -
/page2/... but I for one am not going to twist myself into a pretzel trying to work out an itinerary that also includes the Italian coast; that's just an exercise in futility. My old mom used to say you can't pour a quart into a pint bottle.
Old May 25th, 2022, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thirty-six years ago we split our honeymoon between Positano and Rome. Still married.
Old May 25th, 2022, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly you could fill 10 days very easily just on the Bay of Naples. Naples itself is a jewel of a city with loads to see, then Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, plus the ruins of Pompeii and Ercolano to explore. And if they weren't enough you have Capri and Ischia to visit as well. Those 10 days will fly by.
Old May 25th, 2022, 10:05 AM

Fra Diavolo that is a split among areas of Italy --- NOT between 2 countries. I said 2 countries.
Old May 25th, 2022, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by travelerjan
Fra Diavolo that is a split among areas of Italy --- NOT between 2 countries. I said 2 countries.
I was responding to the OP, not you.
Old May 25th, 2022, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Naples. Ischia. Capri. the Amalfi Coast. Vesuvius. Pompeii. Herculaneum. Path of the Gods. A ferry cruise along the coast. Paestum. Eating. Shopping.
You won't have enough time with just one region.
Old May 25th, 2022, 12:57 PM

Agree with Annhig. The first time we went to the Amalfi Coast, it was to be for a couple of days out of a ten day vacation. We got to Sorrento, staying at the “old” Lorelei et Londres, thought we had died and gone to heaven, cancelled everything else and stayed on the AC the entire time. Well, actually Sorrento is on the bay of Naples, but we took ferries and the train to other places. Because we had not reserved ahead for Sorrento, we had to move locations a couple of times, but it turned out good to try different places.
Annhig already listed all the places to go. Even though they are close, each is very, very different from the others and each is worth seeing. You can stay really busy.
Even in September, you might want a hotel with a pool. Good hotels are often booked way ahead, so book soon if you can, with ten days, you might split into two places.
Many people discount Sorrento, saying it has no views, but that is not true. From higher on the bluffs, of Via Capo, it has magical views over the bay filled with sailboats and Vesuvius in the background. We like Sorrento up on the hills overlooking the bay and down by the ports, because it is pretty and has easy train and ferry transport. The town center, though very small, is very busy at night, so we do not care for that for more than a night or so. There are also a lot of vespas in town.
Positano is stunning, fabulous views from everywhere. There are other towns scattered further south that look lovely.

https://www.minervasorrento.com.
This hotel in Sorrento is one of our favorite hotels anywhere. It is really beautiful with a gorgeous terrace for evening drinks, good food, etc. It is a nice, short walk from town, but there is also a shuttle and taxis. It is worth the quiet and views. It is often booked a year ahead. They do have a honeymoon suite. It is very simple, but on a separate level from the rest of the hotel with a huge, private terrace overlooking the bay. There are other nice hotels nearby.

https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/c/lorelei-londres
This is another hotel with just amazing views and terrace and food. Look up the history. It was closed for years for renovations. We were lucky to stay there years before the renovations and would love to stay again. The pool is small, but the location is incredible. Expensive, but for a couple of nights of a honeymoon would be nice.

https://hotels-with-great-views.com/sorrento-italy/

https://hotels-with-pool.com/sorrent...y/rooftop_pool

Old May 25th, 2022, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
Naples. Ischia. Capri. the Amalfi Coast. Vesuvius. Pompeii. Herculaneum. Path of the Gods. A ferry cruise along the coast. Paestum. Eating. Shopping.
You won't have enough time with just one region.
Absolutely! About a month back we spent four days in Atrani on the Amalfi Coast, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello are stunningly beautiful in different ways. We then went to Naples for another four days and didn’t do any day trips except Pompeii, there’s so much in the city itself.

For a honeymoon I’d suggest the AC, you won’t regret it!
Old May 27th, 2022, 11:56 AM

If you can swing it, I'd recommend couple nights, if not the whole time, at Le Sirenuse in Positano. Doesn't get any more luxurious than that.