Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I allow an extra 2 days in Spain with regard to Sunday and Monday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to spend about 12 days in Spain next year while travelling with a friend which means no matter when I structure my visit, we will not be able to avoid at least one Sunday and Monday.

As *most* places in Spain appear to be closed on Sundays and Mondays (obviously not all but this will need to be thoroughly researched), should we factor in another 2 days of travel or is there still sufficient things to see (in respect of attractions that have opening hours) during these days?

Also, does Spain's lovely neighbour Portugal also have this same practice in place?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:49 PM

You give us no information.

Which cities? What are you hoping to do?

The more touristy cities will have most things open every day. Obviously the beaches will be open and all the other open air attractions. Churches will tend to busy on Sunday and maybe you'll find museums closed on a Monday.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Still narrowing down but looking at Barcelona, Madrid (with possible trips to Toledo and/or Zaragoza), Granada and Seville (with a day trip to Cordoba).

I am confident that there will be some things to do on Sundays and Mondays but wanted to generally gauge whether there are really THAT many things closed to warrant extending our trip to account for the fewer things to do on those days.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 10:06 PM

In the places you mentioned, no concerns at all (I can't preclude that they may not be something closed), but 15 minutes turned up Madrid (Prado, Royal Palace, another major gallery museum that I am to not going to embarrass myself by trying to spell); Granada - Alhambra, Seville- Alcazar, Cordoba - The Great Mosque, all open seven days a week. And in my experience, the big cities don't really shut down at all on the weekends (can't speak specifically about Zaragoza (never been) and Toledo (only been there on a day trip, which was not a Sunday).

Glen
Old May 23rd, 2022, 10:09 PM

For what is worth, I really enjoyed Toledo. I mean, really!
Old May 24th, 2022, 02:51 AM

If you have the opportunity to extend your stay, then I would, irrespective of opening hours! There's more than enough in the cities you mention to fill 14 days.
Old May 24th, 2022, 07:31 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glenmd
For what is worth, I really enjoyed Toledo. I mean, really!
Did you visit as a day trip from Madrid? I'm wondering if we need more than just a day trip there. Would you have found two nights there too much?
Old May 24th, 2022, 09:21 AM

I've never changed a trip in my life to/from Europe just because part of it was on Sunday/Monday. I don't know what you are seeing where you thought everything would be closed, as I don't know what that means. Museums are obviously rarely closed on Sundays as that's one of the big days people go there. Big tourist attractions also (whatever monuments, etc) For example, I think those Gaudi sites in Barcelona are open every day. . You can do anything outside any day.

Some museums in Madrid do close early on Sunday or Monday, I forget, but it's not that big a deal as they are still open some hours.
Museums often close one day a week in a lot of places, usu Mon or Tuesday. And of course you usually cannot go into churches to gawk around as a tourist during services (usually, they do allow that in Notre Dame which I think is terrible). In Barcelona, I think the main cathedral is closed to tourist visits Sunday morning, of course.

I suppose some dept stores, etc might be closed Sundays, I don't remember as I rarely shop in them anyway on vacation, or any store. But nowadays event that is not true that much in big European Cities. I think El Cortes Ingles is open Sunday afternoons from 12-6 pm, for example.

Old May 24th, 2022, 01:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Melnq8
Did you visit as a day trip from Madrid? I'm wondering if we need more than just a day trip there. Would you have found two nights there too much?
mel, if memory serves me well, we spent four nights there October 2015 and were nowhere near ready to leave.
Old May 24th, 2022, 01:40 PM

I've visited Toledo twice, the last time a day trip from Madrid. While it was a wonderful and busy day, it did feel like we had to be selective about where we visited. We packed a lot in (without rushing insanely and had a proper lunch) but we definitely didn't see everything we wanted to see so could easily have stayed longer. It's also a great town at night.
Old May 24th, 2022, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Mine was a day trip from Madrid (which honestly works very well if you are staying anywhere near the train station in Madrid. It is only 30 minutes or so by train.) I have no direct experience, but my guess is being there at night would be a beautiful sight to see.

Glen
Old May 24th, 2022, 04:36 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you all for your responses to my question about Toledo. Sorry to hijack your thread Victoria.