Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Dolomite Base in August for Family Vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm exploring a family trip to the Dolomites this August and am overwhelmed by the options. I'm hoping the folks on the forum can help provide some strong opinions.

I'm looking at an 8 to 10 day trip at the end of August with my husband and two children, ages 12 and 7. We are looking for an moderately active vacation (several hikes of 3 to 4 hours, perhaps a raft trip, perhaps renting bikes) in beautiful scenery with delicious food. I've promised my family a more relaxed pace than some of our other sightseeing adventures, with this one including time to simply enjoy *being* in a place: sitting with a good book on a balcony or in a garden (bonus points for a pool), having time to play cards, and just connect with each other in a nice place.

My family does not typically travel abroad in August and we have been going around and around in circles on where to go. (We were exploring Crete and my family vetoed it as too hot.) After much back and forth, we feel like we might have hit on the solution with the Dolomites .I realize this is the high season and we're very late in the game in planning. Adding onto that, I'm absolutely stumped on where to base ourselves.

We typically like to stay in apartment rentals in the middle of charming towns and villages where we can stroll to dinner and have a glass or two of wine without the worry of driving home. I'm finding a lot of resort-type hotels in the countryside which sound lovely with pools and the promise of guided hikes, but we like being able to wander into town to find dinner, rather than sitting in the same hotel dining room with wiggling kids each night. I haven't hit on apartment rentals in the the towns listed in Rick Steves, and I'm thinking we'd do best to branch out to towns and villages not highlighted in that type of guidebook.

Are there villages or towns that you would recommend basing ourselves in? Or perhaps a resort hotel that's a short taxi ride/walk to a town and doesn't include dinner as part of its plan? Or an agriturismo that would be walkable to a town?

We don't have a strong opinion about Val Gardena or Val di Fassa (or others). We're just looking for beautiful with access to great walks and scenery, which I think they all would offer.

In terms of our trip, we're looking at 8 to 10 days total in northern Italy, with most in the Dolomites but also some nights in either the Lakes or Trieste. Opinions on that are also very welcome, though I realize they are totally different options and probably require a different post : - ) We haven't rented a car in the past, but from what I've read, the Dolomites sound like a destination that would benefit from having our own vehicle.

Thanks so much for input, opinions and expertise!

Last edited by greengiant; May 23rd, 2022 at 12:22 PM. Reason: adding a question
Old May 24th, 2022, 03:25 AM

Greengiant, I speak from limited but enthusiastic experience, having stayed in Ortisei for three nights in 2017, https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...verona-1657983 (Ortisei begins at post 22). One of my favorite areas anywhere.
Old May 24th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you @bon_voyage! Your description of Ortisei sounds like it might be a great fit for my family. (Especially the mention of hot chocolate at Café Demet!), but perhaps with a different hotel. Thank you for giving me an area to hone in on.

Others with thoughts on hotels (or other opinions on home bases), please chime in.

Thanks again! Your photos are really making me want to get this trip set!
Old May 24th, 2022, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stayed at Hotel Grones in Ortisei and can recommend it.

With a 10-day trip you could conceivably stay in two areas.

p.s. Hi, bon_voyage, I hope you are well!
Old May 24th, 2022, 02:07 PM

Greengiant, an apartment might also work for you, clicked on this website at random, https://www.val-gardena.com/en/apartments-ortisei-italy.

p.s. Leely, so good to see you, had missed your posts lately. Very busy here, wanted to respond though to gg, as I knew others with more info were out there.
Old May 24th, 2022, 04:14 PM

We too love Ortisei and love Hotel Grones.
When we have stayed in warmer weather lots of families are staying and their children seem to love the pool.
The food is wonderful but I think you can opt out of having the evening dinner if you want to...need to check with them.

As Leely2 suggests two locations might be worthwhile. There is a wonderful trip report by Adelaidean that covers part of this region.

Envious that you will be visiting our favourite region .
We are just starting to make tentative plans for Europe after such a long time away!
Old May 24th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you love_travel_Aus! and Leely2! I had read rave reviews about Grones but thought it required half board. I checked their website more thoroughly and found dinner is not required. I've sent a message in about dates. Now I'm just oping they have room and at a somewhat swallow-able price. (I realize we are traveling at the high season...)

The more I read the more set I am getting on this area. It seems totally different from any places we have been before. Fingers crossed it works out.
Old May 24th, 2022, 10:33 PM

Hi!

My daughter stayed in Bolzano. Charming town with a chairlift to the top of the mountain, as well as easy buses to the Alpe di Suisi where she walked hut to hut. The best of both worlds!
Old May 25th, 2022, 04:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We enjoyed our stay in Ortisei and highly recommend it. We loved where we stayed, Hotel Grones.
Old May 25th, 2022, 07:04 AM

Bolzano/Bozen in August may be as hot (and much less windy) as Heraklion, Chania, Sitia, Paleochora or Ierapetra.....
Ortisei is very popular with American tourists, but there are tons of other places. All depends on your interests.
Check airbnb for accommodation without meals, or may be https://www.suedtirol.info/en/accomm...h/appartaments
Many Italian hotels request to book half board or even full board in August (top high season) only.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 11:22 AM

I've been to Val di Gardena (where Ortisei is) 2 or 3 times.

It's great.

For this August and September, I'm looking to spend some time in Cortina for a change.

One thing I've noticed in my research, there doesn't seem to be as many organized activities in Cortina as in Val di Gardena. For instance if you stay at a participating hotel, you can take advantage of Val Gardena Active, which offers guided tours and classes either for free or at a discount.

https://www.valgardena-active.com/en/summer

For instance, this 5-6 hour e-Bike guided tour is free to Val Gardena Active members (who stay at a participating hotel) but €45 to those who are not members. You still have to rent an e-Bike and helmet on your own.

https://www.valgardena-active.com/en...bike-tour-9035

When I look at Cortina, there are no such programs and even the bike rental shops don't offer guided tours.

However, Cortina is suppose to be very beautiful and I will be going there after spending a few days in Trieste, which is on my bucket list, and then going down to Venice after Cortina.