Turkey-Croatia - Slovenia- Vienna - Salzburg- Prague - Netherlands -Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2022, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning on flying into Turkey and out of Paris. Want to travel to Croatia , Slovenia , Vienna and Salzburg ,Prague and spend time lastly in the Netherlands and then onto Paris . I have 7-8 weeks . I am up for 1-2 internal flights but mostly want to train travel and have no idea of a sensible route. Can you make some suggestions please.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done that kind of trip, multiple times. I always start with a railway map of Europe - on paper. Like this: https://www.europeanrailtimetable.eu...ded-1111-p.asp

I also advise spending time here: https://www.seat61.com/index.html Then print off some blank calendar pages so you can plan your schedule.

I'll take a look at your route later. Where in Turkey? Do you just want to see Istanbul? Also, just cities, or smaller places?
Old May 22nd, 2022, 08:06 AM

I'm not a fan of flying in Europe, where the train service is so good, but it may make sense for the start of your trip. According to Rome2Rio there are direct flights on Turkish Airlines to both Dubrovnik and Zagreb. Doing that leg by train you would go Istanbul - Sofia - Belgrade - Zagreb. Getting to Dubrovnik instead you would take the scenic train from Belgrade to Bar in Montenegro and then a bus.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know most people will pass this by but don't ignore this walk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultans_Trail
Old May 22nd, 2022, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
I know most people will pass this by but don't ignore this walk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultans_Trail
Looks like an updated version of part of Patrick Leigh Fermor's trek. Probably not suitable for someone trying to get from Istanbul to Amsterdam in two months, lol.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think he should walk all of it, but that doesn't mean he may not walk part of it.

Some people think taking a plane means you see more, others think walking means you see more. Both can be right.

Old May 22nd, 2022, 10:56 AM

Ljubljana to Vienna, Vienna to Salzburg and Salzburg to Prague (with one change) are no problem by train.

Are there no places you want to visit between Prague and Amsterdam??? If not, you can do it by train in one long day, with a change in Berlin. Again, Amsterdam to Paris is easy.

Note that while there is no night train option from Prague to Amsterdam, there is one from Salzburg, with one change, if you reverse the order. There is a direct night train from Salzburg to Paris three days a week.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a direct night train from Vienna to Amsterdam.
Prague Amsterdam several options including a single change in Berlin. If you are going to be in Berlin might as well see something of the place and stay a night or two. Either way it is a long train journey.
As always the earlier you book these trains the cheaper they are.