Calgary - Banff - Lake Louise July 2022

Old May 9th, 2022, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calgary - Banff - Lake Louise July 2022

Flying into Calgary late July with my husband and 16 year old son. Planning on staying 5-7 days. We were thinking of staying in Calgary and using it as a base for day trips to Banff, Lake Louise etc. using public transportation (Roam bus?). Is that a good idea, do-able?

We were hoping to do some biking (using rental bikes), light hiking and sight seeing. I note the tours can be pricey. I have no issue perhaps taking one tour from Calgary (any suggestions?) but wondering what can be done via public transit or shuttles from Calgary?

Suggested initeraries welcomed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 04:55 PM

I only went there once as a tourist (maybe you would get better advice from a local), but it's something like a 2-hour drive one-way to Lake Louise. That's a 4-hour round-trip from Calgary. And the ride back is after a day of hiking when you would likely be tired. So I would recommend staying at a hotel in the Banff area if that's where you are planning to spend most of your time (or split the trip with half in Calgary, half in Banff). Just imho.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 10:27 AM
cba

hinking of staying in Calgary and using it as a base for day trips to Banff, Lake Louise etc. using public transportation (Roam bus?). Is that a good idea, do-able?
No that is NOT a good idea
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Advice

Make sure you avoid tourist traps in that area. Worth it to venture a little further to find areas that aren’t crowded.