How was your Booking.com experience?

Old May 4th, 2022, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How was your Booking.com experience?

Hello...I am planning on visiting SE Asia in the first few months of 2023. I am starting to look at accommodations for the different countries (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, Malaysia). I usually book directly with the hotel but I have noticed that most of the hotels are listed on Booking.com at a cheaper price. If you have used this service for these countries, were you happy with your experience? Did you have any problems? Did you get bad rooms or bad service? I worry about getting to the hotel and not having a room especially since it is high season

Just wondering if I should step out of the box and try something new. 🤔

Thanks for your help.

Dawn
Old May 4th, 2022, 01:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've used Booking.com (as well as similar sites) for years and years in many countries and cannot think of a single issue I've had (well, maybe one, but it was my fault).

As long as you read the fine print (look closely at add-ons - like cleaning fees for apartments - cancellation policies - and any additional taxes) and know what you're booking, you should have no concerns.

Not once have I felt I've gotten an inferior room, let alone service (why would that change just because you're using a booking site?). The room categories are described on the Booking.com site. so you know what you've booked.

I have occasionally run across different categories on the hotel's site and the booking site, but this is usually resolved with an email to the hotel asking for clarification.

The only drawback I've found to using Booking.com is regarding apartment rentals - I can usually get a more lenient cancellation policy when booking directly with an apartment owner, whereas Booking.com tends to have stricter cancellation policies on apartment rentals - and often higher cleaning fees.

If you're worried about your room not being there when you arrive, just send the hotel a note after you've booked on Booking.com under the guise of verifying the booking. Then you've got it in writing from two sources. FWIW, I've never had a problem with a room not being available after booking on Booking.com.
Old May 4th, 2022, 02:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've also had good luck always with booking.com, have had them take care of the occasional difference of opinion with properties, always in my favor which is why I use the site whenever I can. I've just booked with them for Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand & expect the same good service. Though I used to be an advocate of booking directly with properties I now appreciate the confidence of knowing they've got my back in case there's a misunderstanding, not often but it can happen. So I use Booking even when their rate is slightly more. I think you'll like using the site.
Old May 5th, 2022, 10:23 AM

I have used booking.com for years and have booked literally hundreds of rooms with them throughout all of SE Asia and the rest of the world. I have never had any problems with them. I usually get cheaper rates than I could get booking direct but not always. The exception is often with with the big hotel chains who often have "lowest price guarantees” - Accor, Hilton. Intercontinental etc. where it is almost always better to book direct.

One of teh things I like about booking.com is to have all your bookings in the one place which makes it very easy to cancel or alter bookings as you go. Only ever book fully cancellable rooms. Most can be cancelled up to 24 hours before arrival (take note of the time zone!!)

Conversely, if you are looking to stay in smaller , owner managed accommodation in place lie Vietnam and Cambodia you can often just turn up and organise good deal on the day.

Given the state of the global tourism industry at present , I wouldn’t be too worried about not being able to find a room! It may be different by 2023 unless of course, the rampant inflation around the world put a brake on people travelling.
Old May 5th, 2022, 06:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto all the above. I especially use Booking when I'm not quite as familiar with an area, but have also used it in places I know like the back of my hand because it winnows out the properties that't have no availability for my dates without having to check every hotel's website.
Old May 6th, 2022, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel so much better about this app. 😀
Old May 6th, 2022, 07:27 PM

Agoda probably gives you more choices in Asia... but I have had success with all of them.

Now, for booking air tickets, it's always best to book with the airline. So much easier to resolve a problem.