Tight Connection in MIA

Search

Tight Connection in MIA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2022, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tight Connection in MIA

We are traveling via AA from STL to ELH (Bahamas) and connecting through MIA. The connection was already tight but AA changed our flight times to make it only 49 minutes. There is only one flight per day from MIA to ELH so if we miss it, we are delayed for a full day. There are no earlier flights from STL to MIA on that day. The only other STL-ELH option is through CLT with a 65 minute connection, so not a lot better. We are flying first/business class so will be nearer the front of the plane for quicker deplaning. I know it surpasses the minimum connection time of 45 minutes, but just barely. I am not sure if AA is any more likely to hold the plane from MIA to ELH given the once per day flight circumstance but wouldn't want to bank on that. Appreciate any insight you all may have. I typically fly SWA due to direct flight availability from STL and don't fly AA enough to have experience with how things flow. How worried should I be?
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 07:02 AM

At one time our FF miles were on AA and based on our experience the short connect time is not enough.
We have missed connecting flight on AA 3+,times even with as much as 3 hr connecting time. Even if you do make your flight, your luggage may not. Do you have a long walk between gates? That needs to be figured into yor time. Will you need to go through security twice? If so, ditto.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 01:46 PM

A 49 minute connection time, even when on the same airline, is cutting it close. It's doable but doesn't give you any wiggle room. You are right to be concerned, since the next available flight is the following day. You can't count on any airline, American Included, to delay a connecting flight's departure time if a random inbound flight that happens to have a passenger nor two on the manifest. That decision, if it occurs, is based on a number of different factors so it may or may not happen if your flight arrives late at MIA. Fortunately, since both flights are on AA you won't have to leave the Secure Area but it is possible you may have to walk between Terminal D and Terminal E as AA operates out of both. For what it is worth, I've made 45 minute connections on AA in MIA several times without a hitch (even a couple that involved walking between Terminal D & E. On the other had, there have been times when I was glad I had longer connection times because my inbound flight was delayed.

What time of day does your inbound flight depart STL? If it's early in the morning changes are very good it will depart on-time and you'll be fine. If it's later in the day and the plane you are on originates at another airport the chances your flight could be delayed will increase. Unfortunately, without a crystal ball I doubt anyone here can give you the assurances you seek so have a Plan B in mind in case things don't work out.

Old Apr 19th, 2022, 09:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I read your whole thread over on FlyerTalk . . . you got just tons of good info there. One lonely post on the thread is what I would have recommended . . . since there is only one flight to ELH, and with the current level of disruptions/schedule changes/crew issues etc etc -- I would definitely fly in to Miami the evening before. I don't remember any other responses advocating that and it sort of got lost in the thread, but it jumped out at me as the most logical solution.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 09:19 PM

RoamsAround: "What time of day does your inbound flight depart STL? . . ." Per the FT discussion, the SLT flight is very early AM (05:30/05:45 - something like that) which means its almost 100% sure the plane will have overnighted at SLT so that helps, but even first flights of the day can run into operational issues.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 09:22 PM

. . . and to clarify, really the only reason I'd fly in to Miami the night before is due to only one flight out to ELH. If there were multiple departures, the 45 minute connection wouldn't scare me.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

You are right, I did get tons of great information over there. I am amazed at all of the great input. I think I am stuck in a rut of traveling to the same locations via SWA that are always direct so these connections always worry me a bit. There was a suggestion on the other site of taking the early-early STL-CLT flight and then the CLT-ELH flight that creates a 3 hour layover.

Honestly, I don't have experience with AA and their willingness to accommodate changes driven by a schedule change that took it from 69 minutes to 49 minutes. I don't have status with AA to help either. I haven't called them yet.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 02:12 PM

IME AA is usually very accommodating but unfortunately in this case there really isn't that much to 'accommodate' - the time change is minimal and it is still a 'legal' minimum connection time. If it was say a multi hour schedule change or the connection was now under 45 minutes it would be different. I'd definitely either take the longer connection in CLT or fly into Miami the evening before.

Me personally -- I'd rather enjoy an evening in Miami than 3 hours in CLT (though I do have a transit through CLT un July on a really convoluted LHR > JFK > CLT > SMF trip)