Scotland: Isle of Bute Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2022, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my first overseas trip since Covid and am going to Glasgow, plus would like to spend a few days on the Isle of Bute. I've spent a lot of time on the Visit Bute site and various blogs, but Fodorites are always a fountain of information so am asking for help on what I'm struggling with:

I will be arriving at Glasgow airport either late Sunday, May 8 or early-ish Monday, May 9. If I arrive on Sunday, I will stay at an airport hotel. Either way, I will take the train to Wymiss & ferry to Rothesay, planning on arriving around noon on Monday. I will not have a car. On Bute, my main objective is Mount Stuart (house & gardens) and based on my prior visits to homes/gardens, that will occupy most of the day. I would also like to wander Rothesay, do some of the less strenuous West Island Way walks, and PERHAPS, rent a sea front cottage for 3-4 days to watch the water, walk, etc.

The issue is that I won't have a car. I know there's a hop on, hop off bus; local buses; and taxis but I like the freedom of having a car and going hither & yon on my own schedule. Initially, I planned to to rent a car at the airport but the rates are too sky-high for me. Anyone have experience with taxis and buses for a multi-day stay on Bute? (I'm picturing a one-man taxi service but maybe I'm doing them a disservice.) I was thinking about staying in Rothesay as my base. Haven't investigated accommodation options yet. Reluctantly, I think my idea of renting a cottage may be too difficult without a car but would appreciate any thoughts.

I'm very excited to be traveling again so I will make it a great trip, even if I end up doing an abbreviated Bute trip focusing on Mount Stuart. Thanks for any two cents or suggestions!
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 07:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't even consider renting a car at GLA if you are just visiting Bute. I'd rent a car for a couple of days from a local garage on the Isle and use it to visit the farther reaches of the Isle, and use buses a couple of days (caveat . . . I haven't searched to see which garages have hire cars but I'd be shocked if there weren't several who do).

Or . . . how are you with cycling? You could rent a bike.
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Janisj - I had to laugh - cycling and I don't get along. Good idea about garages who might have hire cars, I'll see what I can find out.
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 02:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vickiebypass
Janisj - I had to laugh - cycling and I don't get along. . . .
Me neither -- but lots of folks on Fodors bike so I just threw it out there as an option.

I was curious so did a little searching and found this -- might be helpful. Seems like a car share site and mentions car hire by the day. https://fynefutures.org.uk/carbute/what-is-carbute/

Old Apr 5th, 2022, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - that sounds great. I'll check it out.
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

I wanted to close the loop on this, in case anyone else is interested in car rentals on the Isle of Bute. I contacted the Car Bute company (which is part of Fyne Futures, a local organization focused on local, environmentally projects) and they were very helpful. Unfortunately, they only have one car now and it is not an automatic, so it won't work for me. They suggested their electric bike rentals, but my biking days are long past.

So I've decided to use the local buses and taxis to explore the island for 3 days which will work out fine I think.