Reload this Page >

Your Opinions of a Special Place to for 50th Anniversary

Old Mar 15th, 2022, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites~

Now is your chance to promote a favorite place to stay in Washington, Oregon or NM. Would also consider California. Over the years you've all given great advice, so why wouldn't I seek your opinions now.

Here's the info:
  • Planning a 2 week visit to any of the above states; would like at least 5 days or a week in several places. At least one of the places should be a WOW location.
  • Not in a city. Prefer beach front, scenic site in mountains, by a lake or scenic rural area. Since we live in the woods, that is not of prime concern.
  • Late September or October.
  • I am really looking for your suggestions on lodging rather than sights to visit. I can ask about that later, if necessary, but we have visited the 3 west coast states many times and are familiar with many areas. Walking, gentle hikes, wineries are good to have nearby.
  • Have stayed in some lovely Air B&B's, so would consider that and may prefer over condos/resorts. Would like cooking facilities though.
  • This will sound contradictory, but would prefer either upscale or very nice rustic lodging.
  • 2 adults celebrating 50th anniversary. Have rented larger houses in past to get LOCATION, so doesn't have to be 1 or 2 bedroom.
  • Budget: have seen places for $1,500-1,800 per week before all the extra charges. $300-400 for lodge room
  • Looking forward to reading the suggestions you come up with.
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 02:11 PM

For seaside, possibly the Pajaro Dunes between Santa Cruz and Monterey?

https://www.pajarodunes.com/
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 02:34 PM

Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel CA is always fabulous. Lots to see to north within half-hour should you choose to leave the compound. Perhaps split your time with other half at Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, always a pleasure.

Old Mar 15th, 2022, 03:02 PM

The area around Leavenworth, WA would be great, or possibly Sunriver Resort in OR. The area around Leavenworth has some wonderful cabins and the mountains are right there as well as lakes. We use www.nwcomfycabins.com and have been very pleased. September/October is beautiful in this area and it is chuck full of hikes and wineries. Sunriver is the same to a lesser extent. There is a wide variety of lodging options here, and fall is beautiful with plenty of hiking. Not as many wineries in this area. We vacation in both of these areas often and have for many years, FWIW.
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 03:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aliced
Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel CA is always fabulous. Lots to see to north within half-hour should you choose to leave the compound. Perhaps split your time with other half at Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, always a pleasure.
I'm pretty sure the RC won't be anywhere near their budget -- more like $1500-$2000 per night, not per week.

Originally Posted by Michael
For seaside, possibly the Pajaro Dunes between Santa Cruz and Monterey?

https://www.pajarodunes.com/
I was thinking Pajaro Dunes too -- My parents spent two significant anniversaries there - once with the whole family (adult children, one SO and 2 grand kids) and once just the two of them. Love the place! But at that time of year I think their rates would be in the $500-$800+ per night range.
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 05:25 PM

Sea Ranch north of Bodega Bay is another possibility.
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't AirBnB, so can't help you there... But look at Cambria. It's close to Hearst Castle, the Elephant Seal Rookery, Morro Bay and over 300 wineries in Paso Robles and Templeton. I'm sure there is beachfront lodging in your budget range.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 01:44 AM

The Inn at Langley on Whidbey Island, https://innatlangley.com, offers serene rooms looking out on to the Saratoga Passage, excellent breakfasts, a number of good restaurants, and an eclectic mix of shops within a few minutes walk.
A long skinny island, Whidbey is interesting, with a military presence to the north, a farming heritage lovingly preserved within Ebey’s Landing National Historical Preserve, https://www.nps.gov/ebla/index.htm, and locally made arts and crafts. The prairie overlook’s mesmerizing tableau and the Penn Cove mussels, farmed near Coupeville, were two standout memories.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 08:18 AM

North Beach Inn on Orcas Island https://www.northbeachinn.com/
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 08:51 AM

This East coaster spent 2 weeks in Oregon 2 consecutive summers and we loved the coast and Crater lake. ( We never made it out to the eastern side with the colorful rock formations like SD Badlands)
We also spent 2 weeks in Washington another summer vacation but only 1 night in Leavenworth, which we liked.
We LOVED Vancouver Island. It has beautiful coastlines, old growth forests, whale watching (dolphin, sea lion seals also) excursions, and of course Victoria and beautiful Buchart Gardens.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 09:25 AM

Just a reminder... this trip is late September or October, not summer.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 09:32 AM

How about the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite valley? You could combine that with a visit to the Sonoma or Napa wine regions.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 09:35 AM

Laguna Beach has lots of natural areas with some good beaches (of course the water will be too cold to swim in but you can beachcomb). It is an artist community with some great beaches, coves, tide pools, and 74 parks and natural areas. Excellent biking, hiking and beachcombing. It has an outstanding art museum, art galleries, and excellent restaurants.

Last edited by PrairieHikerII; Mar 16th, 2022 at 09:40 AM.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 10:50 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
How important are the cooking facilities? I also thought about the Inn at Langley, which has a 1-br suite with a full kitchen, but it's pretty far north of your price point.

Other thoughts I had were the Salish Lodge overlooking Snoqualmie Falls, or the Inn at Spanish Head in Lincoln City (ugh) Oregon on the north coast. There are no kitchen units at the Salish Lodge, and while there are at the Inn at Spanish Head, there are some reviews that say the place could use a "freshening up," which usually means...

Alderbrook, on the Hood Canal around 90 minutes from Seattle, is another option. It's in a lovely setting, with a good range of accommodtions. Alderbrook Resort & Spa - Washington State Luxury Resort

There's a good range of accommodations, many with kitchens, at the lovely Roche Harbor resort on San Juan Island. Official Website of Roche Harbor Resort San Juan Island's #1 Resort There's lots to do on the island - whale watching, hiking, kayaking, cycling, but it's also a lovely place just to hang out. The San Juans are in the Olympic mountains' rain shadow, so it's drier in the early fall than some other places in western Washington.

I know this is certainly off the wall, but what about Alaska? The Alyeska Resort, 45 minutes down the road from Anchorage, is definitely in a "wow" location, and by late September the crowds have dissipated, the leaves are turning, and the salmon are still biting. Just a thought, anyway.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 01:17 PM

I would stay in Carmel for a landmark anniversary like that. Highlands Inn is superb (now a Grand Hyatt) but well over your budget, maybe take a look at the Mission Ranch Inn in Carmel, I have only eaten in their restaurant, not stayed there, but the rates seem to be in your budget. All the rooms have a mini fridge (except the farmhouse room, per their site) and whirlpools, etc. forget the darn kitchen!
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 01:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KTtravel
How about the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite valley? You could combine that with a visit to the Sonoma or Napa wine regions.
The Ahwahnee is in a fabulous location but it is completely sold out for all of September and for most dates in October . . . at rates far above the OP's budget (plus September is the worst of wild fire season in both the Sierra/foothills and in Wine Country)
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 07:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
For Oregon I would check to see if the Crater Lake lodge (next to the lake) will still be open in late September. If you decide on ocean beach front, go for a hotel or cottage on the beach in Cannon Beach or maybe Seaside.
I just checked the website. Crater Lake lodge will be opening on July 1 2022 and will be closing as of October 11 2022. The boat tours on the lake will open as soon as conditions warrant after July 1.
Early in the season, they will be replacing the roof on the lodge between the hours of 8AM and 5PM weather permitting.

Last edited by tomfuller; Mar 17th, 2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 09:27 AM

I live close enough to go to Carmel whenever I want and it never gets old. If you want cooking facilities look into getting an airbnb. They are not legal in Carmel, unless grandfathered in, but are okay in nearby Pacific Grove. I believe a poster here (ira maybe?) rents an airbnb in Carmel and has a link. You could also split your time with a week there and a week in Paso wine country (where I live). There are numerous vineyards with beautiful rental homes available.
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 10:08 AM

STRs are legal in Pacific Grove but very restricted, esp. for periods of less than 30 days. With fewer legal STRs, the rates have gone crazy. Home-sharing has different rules.

I believe Carmel has gotten tougher on STRs.
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 07:00 AM

Legal STRs in Carmel are located downtown in the commercial zone. Usually these are second story apartments above businesses. They are not legal in the residential zone.

Pacific Grove allows STRs in the coastal zone and commercial areas. In PG you can find STRs that are single family residences.

There are very limited numbers of legal STRs in both cities (more in PG than Carmel) and a permit/license number will be in the listing. It may be difficult to find something in that budget range in late September/October.

I also thought of Carmel Cottage Inn https://carmelcottageinn.com/ but they don't have much availability left. The smallest unit is $425 at that time of year. There are other inns in town that have units with kitchens but I'm struggling to think of any place that feels special or unique.

Last edited by Patty; Mar 18th, 2022 at 07:12 AM.