Search

Oh, Big Surprise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2022, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, Big Surprise

Delta Airlines is going to start testing whether or not waiving checked bag fees will speed up the boarding process by reducing the number of carry-ons. The test will be conducted on selected customers departing from Boston. Like the airline doesn't already know the answer to this? OR, is thing going to be one of those, "We listened and have decided to implement what you actually want?"
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be great news!
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How would they know the answer to it if they haven't tested it yet? Personally, fees or no fees on checked bags would not impact whether I bring a carry-on or check a bag. I don't bring a carry-on to avoid a checked bag fee. I bring a carry-on for my own convenience. Maybe there are lots of people like me out there.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Southwest doesn't charge for the first two checked bags. I started checking one, or two, bags and only taking my purse on board. It is so much easier. Yes, I have to wait to collect bags, but that isn't a problem for me. I can see why, if you have a short time to catch another flight, you would want to avoid doing that. Charging for checked bags might have made people reconsider if they really need to take the kitchen sink for two weeks vacation, but it's also a huge moneymaker for airlines.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:37 AM

We were printing our boarding passes for an American flight in Dec. and the question came up asking if we wanted to gate check our carry on at no cost. We checked them in at the ticket counter.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Barbara
Charging for checked bags might have made people reconsider if they really need to take the kitchen sink for two weeks vacation, but it's also a huge moneymaker for airlines.
Right. And if they stop charging for checked bag, they will find a way to make that money back another way.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tom42
How would they know the answer to it if they haven't tested it yet? Personally, fees or no fees on checked bags would not impact whether I bring a carry-on or check a bag. I don't bring a carry-on to avoid a checked bag fee. I bring a carry-on for my own convenience. Maybe there are lots of people like me out there.
Well, personally I suspect there are a LOT of people who are bringing all their worldly goods on board because there ARE checked bag fees. And then there are those who are hoping the airline will announce that they will check your bag for free and how many times have we heard that announcement at the gate? I bring a carry on aboard for convenience, too, and I sit there and wait, and wait, and WAIT while all the other people are bringing theirs on board and struggling to store them and ignoring the airline announcements about putting at least one under the seat, and waiting and waiting and waiting some more for the pushback.
I'm certain there are a lot of people just like you out there but if you really believe they don't know the answer, well enjoy that feeling.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 10:00 AM

People now seem to take the kitchen sink as carry on. The amount of things some people get away with always amazes me, and then they cram it into overheads with no regard for other passengers, always need to disturb their neighbours to get something they forgot out of it just as the neighbour is starting to doze, or has a drink, in addition to spreading what doesn't fit up top all around them, and then take ages extricating it all again, risking hitting others with their bags.
I always used to check a bag. I carried my photo gear on board. That went under the seat, and stayed there all flight. It really didn't bother me having to collect my bag - by the time I'd got through immigration my bag was on the carrousel.
I am happy I have decided not to fly any more so it ceases to be a problem for me.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I check my bags because as a small person it’s just easier for me.

My husband OTOH would never pay extra for something if he doesn’t have to so only checks if it’s included.

(It’s a family legend how he made his 18 year old daughter weigh and repack her bag she was taking overseas to college several times until it was correct. When she got to college with her two bags lots of kids showed up with U- Hauls! And, his tearful 14 year old sat on the floor at Swiss Air taking precious “peepee” (Swahili for candy) she’d been collecting out of a bag bound for a service trip in Tanzania - again he was not paying an overweight fee.)
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dukey1
I'm certain there are a lot of people just like you out there but if you really believe they don't know the answer, well enjoy that feeling.
Yes, I am reveling in it. There are a few questions they need to answer - one is does it reduce the number of carry-ons. If yes, does that reduce the amount of time it takes to board the plane. And if yes, by how much and is it significant enough to implement a policy that includes free checked bags. Not sure how they would know that without testing it.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 10:41 AM

No one has mentioned how long it take to get off the plane. I personally take a photo bag and "purse." These are not large and can be grabbed quickly. If people want to drag everything and the kitchen sink on board, I wish they'd be relegated to the back of the plane. It takes too goddam long to get off the plane with everyone having to grab all of their crap, and if you have a tight connection? End of grumpy rant.

PS - I haven't flown since a trip to Italy in 2018, due to you-know-what. I really miss travel. But I don't know about flying anymore. Very sad.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 11:00 AM

Like tom, I would still just bring a carry-on instead of checking bags regardless of fees. I don't need a lot of stuff, and we usually have two and sometimes three connections.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 11:01 AM

Add me to the list of people who think they should enforce the carry-on rules. I mean, "free" checked luggage is fine (and agree with everyone who says they will just make up the difference elsewhere), but they also need to stop carry-on abuse. Maybe have every carry-on bag checked for size before boarding, and if it doesn't pass the test, make them pay double to check it.

Or, I can see the airlines choosing a path I would not want -- such as charging more for carry-ons than checked luggage, to de-incentivize people from bringing a carry-on while also making more money from it. Or, I'm sure the airlines can think of something even more diabolical than that.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 11:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
My understanding is that they are not eliminating the checked bag fee but are giving passengers the opportunity to check their carry-on bags for free by sending a text to passengers the day of the flight.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...-for-carry-ons
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 04:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
gruezi, your husband sounds like our family as far as packing very light, carrying it on. Our kids have continued this way as adults after being trained to travel light!!
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 04:42 AM

I take a carryon JIC the checked bag gets lost...this way I have a change of clothes and meds, etc.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 09:57 AM

I think some people have indeed avoided checking bags because of the carry-on fees. FYI, on my recent Frontier Airlines flight the cost to bring on a carry-on was $10 MORE than checking a bag.

But I will NOT check a bag if there is any way around it. I've had luggage lost (or stolen) and I detest having to wait for my bag to be delivered.

Thirty years ago, my checked bag never showed up in the Cayman Islands. Thinking it was just delayed, I bought a swimsuit, a pair of shorts and a T-shirt to tide me over. I washed out my underwear each night, certain my bags would arrive the next day. I'm still waiting. I realized how little I really needed. I have never checked a bag since then.

I spent 5 days in Rome followed by a 10-day cruise of the Greek Isles -- with only a carry-on bag and a computer bag. A dark sport jacket and the matching dark pants I wore on the plane worked for formal nights. Several ties made it look like I was not wearing the same thing every night. I carry only travel-sized toiletries. Of course, it is easier when traveling to a warm weather destination and lodging that has a washer/dryer, but I've managed it in Norway and Ireland in the winter. I wore a sweater and travel vest (with tons of pockets) on the flight, and they served double duty as pillows. It is doable.

Disclaimer: I'm a sweatshirt and jeans kind of guy and I rarely go to fancy restaurants.

I will NOT be checking my bags.
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 05:14 AM

I remember the days when airlines NEVER charged for checked baggage. It was included in the price as it should be. Carry-ons were usually a small tote bag and sometimes a shopping bag filled with purchases on the return flight. Travel back then was civilized and for the most part, so were most passengers.

The worst part of carry-ons today is that people don't follow the rules and airlines don't enforce them. The boarding process is one of the worst parts of travel today.
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 01:04 PM

>> is thing going to be one of those, "We listened and have decided to implement what you actually want?"

that is a good one, lol