Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 1/2 days in the French Riviera -- where to base ourselves?

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I disembark in Monaco from a cruise on the first Monday in May, and we are flying home from Nice on Friday. Our dilemma is where to stay for the 3 nights before flying home. (And I'm assuming that the weather will be cool enough that I won't want a day lying on the beach...)

Ideally we'd like to stay somewhere other than Nice (mainly because we've been there before) that has easy access to public transport (we're not planning on renting a car, although we're not necessarily against it). I can envision spending our three days: visiting a market, going on a hike/coastal walk, visiting one or more of the villas on the coast (Villa Kerylos or Villa Ephrussi Rothschild), wandering through a picturesque town, and seeing some of the art the region is known for (perhaps the Musee Picasso?).

We started thinking we wanted to stay in Antibes, but as I read about the area, it seems that a lot of the things we are drawn to are between Nice and Monaco, rather than between Nice and Antibes.

I've read a lot of posts and a lot of guidebooks, and haven't been able to come to a clear resolution. So, my questions are:
  1. If you were staying in Antibes for 3 days without a car, how would you spend the time?
  2. If Antibes doesn't seem like an ideally located spot, where would you stay?
  3. Is it possible to get easily to one of the hill villages on public transport, or if going to a hill village is a priority, do we need to change our minds and rent a car?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 10:38 AM

If you disembark on Monday, and fly home on Friday - that seems like 4 nights & 3 1/2 days. Not 3 nights.

I would still stay in Nice. Best by far for train & bus transportation elsewhere. If not Nice - Antibes would be my second choice, although transportation is better from the following 2 choices. Then Menton and finally Villefranche. Not Cagnes.

In 3 days - you can't do much. That's why I would stay in Nice (for the excellent bus service).

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stu -- your answer and your document are really helpful

One of the reasons for staying in Antibes was the appeal of the old town with small, windy streets, with cafes and shops. If I look for accommodations in Nice instead, is there an area of town to consider that would have that same sort of atmosphere?

It could be that we're looking for something that doesn't exist -- a small, village feel with convenient public transport access...

Cheers,
Annette
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 04:22 PM

Vieux Nice has small, winding, carless streets and a farmer's market nearby (Au Cours Saleya) - but I would not stay in Old Nice. Instead stay near the Negresco & visit Old Nice, Antibes, St Paul de Vence, Villefranche, Menton by bus (Antibes by train). You won't have time to visit all of these and it might take you a day or two to figure out the bus system - unless you do a lot of research ahead of arriving in Nice.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 08:42 PM

You could do Antibes and stay in the Old Town, and take the coastal walk there, go the market, hit the old town. You can then take the train the Beaulieu-sur-Mer and walk to Villa Kerylos. You then head back to the Gare and take the bus (15, the buses have been renumbered, formerly known as 81) to the Villa Ephrussi. You can then take it to Villefranche-sur-Mer, walk down to the village, have a apero on the dock and then take the train back. Just note the train station is a bit away from the old town (and even further away from the beach hotels on the gulf side)

Nice is more convenient to points towards italy. In Nice you can stay in the Carre d'Or or the Vieux Ville (Old Town). Just take care with the latter to avoid staying on one of the main squares, as it can be noisy.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 11:18 PM

the Villa Kerylos and the Ephrussi estate can easily be seen on the same day if you can get to the Ephrussi de Rothschild estate first thing in the morning.

https://flic.kr/p/277Fmdj https://flic.kr/p/28uDpZ6
https://flic.kr/p/28M9Yq3 https://flic.kr/p/MJZh7b