Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on my 2-week itinerary plan for Argentina?

Old Jan 1st, 2022, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! I was playing around with a 2-week sample itinerary for Argentina. Hoping to get there next December, Covid permitting.

Day 1-3 Buenos Aires
Day 4 Buenos Aires to El Chalten
Day 5-6 El Chalten
Day 7 El Chalten to El Calafate
Day 8 Perito Moreno
Day 9 Flight to Salta
Day 10 Cachi, Cafayate, Quebrada de las Conchas
Day 11 Salta
Day 12 Jujuy, Quebrada Humahuaca, Salinas, Tilcara
Day 13 Salta
Day 14 Flight to Buenos Aires

What do you think? Is it too much? And I honestly can't decide between El Chalten and Torres del Paine.
I will really appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts.
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 09:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't comment on the Salta portion (currently planning a trip there!), but we visited both El Chalten and Torres del Paine in the same trip a few years ago. They're so different and both beautiful. Torres del Paine seemed more spectacular to us, but El Chalten is no slouch. I'm so glad we did both. The challenge you'd have with your itinerary is that getting to Torres is time-consuming. You'd probably also want to cut Perito Moreno if you chose Torres del Paine over El Chalten. Any way you can add a few days to do both?
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Yeah I'd prefer to spend more time in Patagonia but unfortunately, that's all the time I can get off of work!
What about the hikes in Torres? Were they difficult? I opted for El Chalten only because I've read somewhere that the most beautiful hikes can be done as day trips, but this isn't the case for Torres I think? I have zero experience with multi-day treks.

Also, how did you get from El Chalten to Torres del Paine?

Thanks
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are you getting from BsAs to El Calafate? I flew to El Calafate and a couple of days later took the bus to El Chalten. Then I took the bus back to El Calafate for one night, and another bus (booked when I arrived in El Calafate) to Puerto Natales for Torres del Paine.

I chose Iguazu falls over Salta, so can't help with that section. For info on my trip, start here for Iguazu falls (came between Rio and Uruguay and BsAs), links at the top of the page: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...y-spectacular/ or here for just El Calafate and El Chalten: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...more-glaciers/
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, that's very helpful! Your pictures are incredible.

Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! I found the scenery in South America stunning. The cities, not so much.
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 07:51 AM

There is quite a split on Fodors about the merits of Buenos Aires. Put me in the "meh" camp. There are other large cities in SA that I enjoy, but BA was not one of them!

If Torres del Paine was a goal, it is easier to do from Chile. Since you will be on the Argie side, then El Chalten makes more sense.

I have only been to TdP, and hiked several legs of the "W".The hike up to the Towers is more difficult since the last bit is through a moraine field. On other legs along the lakes you are generally dealing with wind the entire time, which can make even a moderate hike difficult. Unfortunately if you are doing an out and back hike, then you will have wind in your face at least part of the time.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 5th, 2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 04:59 AM

"What do you think? Is it too much?" I think it is way too much ground to cover in the time you have.

We have spent a lot 9f time in Argentina, especially in the north west. To visit those places in and around Salta , you would really need a min of 5 days and that would be pushing it. 7 would be much better. To do the Salta Cachi, Cafayete loop requires a night in each. Preferably two in Cafayate. Allow a min of three night for the other NW portion and time in salta city because of connections etc.

a link to our blog covering one of our road trips in the region https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...ica/argentina/ just click on the title of each post for the full post.

Crossing borders in covid times adds extra risk and expense so I would be inclined to stay in Argentina rather than TDP though in Dec , who can say.

too little time in BA for me and way too rushed for me but it’s your trip. To get from PM to Salta requires a connection in BA. Bear in mind that flights rarely go to plan in SA!

Old Jan 11th, 2022, 04:30 PM

Great choice - I am definitely not of the "meh" camp.
Some suggestions: San Telmo (wished I spent more time there)
Crossing the worlds biggest boulevard , 9 de julio, stand in the middle for a while
Palermo & Barrio Norte area, great french architecture
Puerta madera - for dinner.

For iguazu - take a cama or semi cama bus. Costs little, luxurious with food, wine, view and entertainment on board. Easy sleep and you are there. These leave at the train station area (which hilariously enough does not function anymore itself).

I did not visit the areas you mentioned, but yes: Mendoza & the Andes. Even though you chose that too be it more southbound. From Mendoza however easier to go for a day or two day trip through andes to Santiago, Chile. In between highest mountain of the Andes.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 04:32 PM

Oh - also option: take a boat from Bs As to either Colonia or Montevideo in Uruguay. Day trip, high speed ferry.
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 04:09 PM

It is way way too rushed. I can't comment on the northern part of your trip but we did Southern Patagonia in one trip and we had almost three weeks to do just that,

Flying to El Calafate and either getting a car or the bus to El Chalten is an entire day of traveling. This leaves you with two days to hike. Yes, they are all day hikes but all are weather dependent. We have been to El Chasten twice and never stayed for less than four days. Your plan could work. Changing to Torres del Paine most definitely will not. Trust me in that this is not an option for you in the time frame you have for it. You should really decide if you want to go to Patagonia or to northern Argentina, with your time it is difficult to do both enjoyably, I think,

Here is our trip report from El Chasten and TdP in tithe same trip.
Patagonia...You took our breath away

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 11:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
With regard to Torres del Paine, we did just what Thursdaysd did - round-trip bus from El Calafate to El Chalten - then round-trip bus to Puerto Natales. There we rented a small SUV for a few days to explore TDP. Agree with Odie1 regarding travel times - don't underestimate them. Here's my trip report from BA and Patagonia: Patagonia in lovely April

Whatever you decide, enjoy! Argentina is wonderful.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 06:23 AM

Althom- We rented a car for El Chalten but then did the bus one way to Puerto Natales from El Calafate - an all day experience, then rented a car to explore, returning the car in Punta Arenas where we flew back to Santiago and then on to the States.