Splurge Birthday in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts

Back late Sunday night from 5 nights in London - hope to get to the full TR in the next day or two but will start with some background and a few of the highlights.

The trip was originally booked for early July '20 mostly for the HCP flower show . . . of course that went down the tubes. The flower show initially re-scheduled for Sept '20 cuz OF COURSE this silly covid thing would be over by then - not. Then it was scheduled for July '21 cuz OF COURSE . . . oh - never mind The show did go forward in July but without any overseas visitors since the UK was still closed. I had booked via AAVacations business class flights, three nights at the Royal HorseGuards (which made it a 'vacation' and big discount), and 2 nights booked independently at he Mitre in Hampton Court. I had booked half $$ and half miles and cancelled/rescheduled/cancelled/rescheduled - cancelled again. When the UK opened up this Fall I decided to re-book for my birthday in early Dec.

But then I kept waiting for the miles to be redeposited and it didn't happen. I was dreading phoning because I'd heard horror stories about 4-5 hour waits on hold only to be cut off. One morning I made a pot of tea and settled in for the long haul . . . and called AAVacations and I was on hold about 4 minutes before a real person answered (so don't believe everything you read). And they explained because it was a Vacation the miles wouldn't be re-deposited and had been converted to real money - and I could just search for flights and hotel availability, put them on hold and call back to have the Vacations people ticket it. So with a boatload of cash to play with I went to work and discovered that with current room/exchange rates Instead of 3 nights at the (very nice) Horse Guards . . . by tossing in a measly $72 I could get 3 nights at the bleedin' (usually far above my pay grade and on my bucket list) SAVOY . Then going decidedly down market I booked the final 2 nights at the Citadines Holborn (which was perfectly fine - but the Savoy it ain't) because I wanted to be on the Piccadilly line for travel back to LHR.

Main Highlights in chronological order:

• Major room upgrade . . . woo hoo
• Afternoon tea at the Savoy
• Visit of the newly re-opened Courtauld
• Christmas at Kew including pre show dinner at the Botanist
• Frans Hals: the Male Portrait at the Wallace Collection
• Major splurge birthday lunch at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester
• Fun GTG with PatrickLondon, kmowatt and flanneruk
• HMS Pinafore at the ENO
• Dr. Johnson's House

Next: Ins and outs of the covid-19 situation in London, coping with changing testing rules, practicalities . . .

Last edited by janisj; Dec 7th, 2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look forward to the rest of the report Janis! Great to see you again!!
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by kmowatt
Look forward to the rest of the report Janis! Great to see you again!!
Ooh janisj, the Savoy, with afternoon tea… needless to say it was a fabulous birthday! It’s wonderful many Fodorites got to take trips, albeit rescheduled, waiting for your full TR…
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 04:12 AM

Let's go!
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 04:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on for the ride
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 07:22 AM

@janisj https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59579077
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 11:55 AM

Sounds like a great trip!
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Ins and outs of the covid-19 situation in London, coping with changing testing rules, practicalities . . .

Now, my trip was Nov 29-Dec 5 and both the US and UK rules have changed once just a few days before boarding my flight, changed again while I was in London, and have changed yet again since I got home. So my main advice is don't make any un-changeable plans, and definitely don't book/pay for any covid tests until the last possible moment. Some of the testing companies like ExpressTest will give you full credit towards a different test if you have to cancel/reschedule - so be sure to read all the terms and conditions.

A few days before I flew out the UK requirement was what is called a Day 2 PCR test. That only means it must be taken by the 2nd day after getting to the UK. Arrival day is Day 0 so you actually have 3 days. But that was it, pre-book and pay for a Day 2 test, then complete the UK PLF (Passenger Locator Form) within 48 hours of boarding. You need a special confirmation code # from the testing company before you can complete the PLF so you need to do things in order.

I booked the normal PCR test through ExpressTest right at LHR. They have locations inside Terminal 5, in Terminal 2 and in the forecourt of Terminal 3. Then, a couple of days before flying out the UK added the kicker that one must self isolate until the Day 2 test results are released - results are only guaranteed by 10 PM the following day. Oh Crap major spanner in the works -- I'm only in London 5 full days and would have to isolate for 2 of them. Soooo I decided to spend the extra money (lots) to get an additional rapid (3 hour) PCR test to get me out of jail sooner. Express Test only offers rapid tests for departing passengers at LHR. So I went ahead and booked a rapid test from a clinic on Wimpole Street for 11AM . . .

Crazy Chronology:

06:05 Plane arrived at the gate . There was not one person ahead of me in the priority immigration queue and since I had no checked luggage I was through Customs and into the Arrivals hall before 06:20.

06:30 PCR test completed. My test was booked for 0830 - Express Test is right outside the arrivals hall so I went out and asked if they could fit me in earlier - and they took me immediately.

06:40 met JustAirports driver in the Arrivals Hall. I had booked JA for 9AM. So I phoned them and they said no problem, there was a driver already at the airport waiting for a delayed passenger so he could be there in 7 minutes.

08:00 Pulled in to Savoy Court. On the drive in to town (REALLY heavy traffic -- don't believe most people are still working from home ) I called the Concepto Clinic and asked if they could fit me in earlier and they said no guarantees but to come along. Dropped my bag and off I went in a taxi.

09:15 rapid PCR test complete. Then took cab back to the Savoy,

09:30-ish They ushered me into the residents lounge and came to get me a little after 10AM to show me up to my room.

12:37 PM Rapid test results arrive

2:25 Afternoon Tea in the Thames Foyer . . .

Phew that was one hectic arrival day.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 04:14 PM

Sorry, I'm a bit confused - why did you have to take two PCR tests, one at LHR and then another in town?
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hazel1
Sorry, I'm a bit confused - why did you have to take two PCR tests, one at LHR and then another in town?

I didn't 'have' to take two tests -- I chose to. Because the rules changed and the regular Day 2 PCR test (taken at LHR or anywhere) now requires one to self isolate until the results arrive. In my case I arrived early Tuesday AM and the test results would not be guaranteed until 10PM on Wednesday -- meaning I'd miss 2 full days out and about in London (and 4 pre-booked/paid for meals/events). That regular PCR test is the one I had entered on my PLF so I had to take it. I made the decision to lay out £119 to have a 2nd, rapid PCR test taken Tuesday AM so I could get out of self isolation on Tuesday mid-day-ish.

It cost a lot but it saved two days of my trip.

Old Dec 8th, 2021, 10:09 PM

And now you DO need two tests - one before travel and the 'day 2' or on arrival test Janis did.

This sounds like a super-luxury trip
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 03:48 AM

Would love to hear your opinions on the Savoy. I used to stay there when speaking at conferences and seminars (back in the days when someone else was paying!) . A year or so ago I watched a "fly on the wall" documentary about the hotel, its major refurb and the closure due to covid. - fascinating! We have a special anniversary coming in April and even though we will be in London anyway, I was maybe thinking of a night or two there on the actual day.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Crellston: Re the Savoy . . . my room was beautiful with tons of closet space and a chandelier - and the bathroom even more so Had both a nespresso-type coffee machine and an electric kettle. The American Bar is still closed (but might be open by April) the Beaufort Bar is open. The Residents Lounge is open throughout the day with complimentary tea/coffee/snacks/champagne/etc.

But my main take away -- the service was absolutely superb - on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 12.

Probably won't get to more of the TR-proper til later this evening - I came home to a heater on the fritz and other 'stuff' (I hate it when coming home is more complicated than going )
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 06:43 AM

My family used to be share holders at the Savoy and I also went to school with two of the junior management. The focus was all about customer service with no attention given to "make a buck", well paid staff with lots of training. Certainly my two friends were instructed to never look for a tip, perhaps standards have fallen janisj?
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Bilboburgler: " . . . perhaps standards have fallen janisj?"

I sure wouldn't think so. Like I said, all service was near on perfect. Never 'obsequious' but just right. The concierge staff was especially helpful. More on that when I do get to the report
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 07:08 AM

I have loved all of your trip reports Janisj, as they often center on London.

But knowing your preference for car/driver, this puzzled me:
because I wanted to be on the Piccadilly line for travel back to LHR.”

Hope you can work explanation into a future post ~ thanks!
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

nyse: But knowing your preference for car/driver, this puzzled me: because I wanted to be on the Piccadilly line for travel back to LHR.”

Oh, I often take the tube. Maybe 40 / 60 tube vs. car service. Mostly depends on where I'm staying and how awful the closest tube station is stairs-wise. Just seemed more 'appropriate' to have a driver to the Savoy and take the tube from the Citadines

(but that did change in the end and the night before I did book JA for the trip back to LHR)
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 09:05 AM

Did you see the documentary about the Savoy, made just when covid was starting to appear early 2020? Watching the staff discussing this flu from China, without worrying too much about it. The lady who went to the American Bar every day for a cocktail, talking about how awful it was when the Savoy was closed for renovations, and how she thought the Savoy would never close again. And then the manager walking around turning off the lights at the end. Very poignant.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 09:54 AM

Many thanks Janisj - Just realised I can use some of the Accor points I have amassed over the years for the Savoy - its becoming a v attractive option!
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 01:39 PM

Janisj, following along! Sweet Momma and I made the flower show one year and it was amazing! I am so glad you got to splurge and live it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -