Transfers/Private driver help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi, We do not want to rent a car and drive ourselves so are looking for transfer ideas. In March, we fly into Liberia Airport to Casa Chameleon/ Las Catalinas on the coast, then stay at Nayara Gardens in the Arenal region, then Monteverde Lodge in the cloud forest, then finish in San Jose for a couple of nights. Any suggestions for a private driver or service are much appreciated.
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We usually book our drivers through our hotels when we reserve them. That's worked well for us. We've stayed at Nayara, and it's wonderful.
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 11:46 AM

We have done both, booking through our hotel and arranging a driver directly. They both worked well. The company we used when we booked our own drivers was tucanlimoservices.com. Their vehicles were a bit newer than some of the hotel booked drivers, but all were fine, courteous, timely, etc. When we booked our own, we paid cash in US dollars (so we had to bring more than otherwise). On our second trip, we needed fewer transfers and just had the first hotel arrange transfers from the airport to their lodge and then on to the second hotel, meaning it was all billed as hotel charges (no need for cash other than for tips). The second hotel provided the airport transfer to leave the country.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 01:30 PM

We've also used Destinos Encantados and were very happy with them. Carlos Bogarin has been our driver. We got his name from the Lost Iguana. He has a website you can check out.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much volcano girl and traveler 318. I will check them out. I had gotten rates from our hotels but they seemed high.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Volcanogirl,
I see that you've been to CR many times. IYHO, would you drop Monteverde Lodge and a night in SJ for four nights in Manuel Antonia near the beach? I originally wanted to go to that area but thought it was too long of a transfer from Nayara Gardens. I'm starting to think 7 nights between Arenal and Cloudforest is too much. Would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 03:26 PM

Oh yes for sure. We really love Tulemar Bungalows in Manuel Antonio. They have their own beach too. Lots of sloths and monkeys on site. Good open air restaurants nearby, but they also have their own kitchens. I think it's about five hoursish between the Arenal area and MA if I remember correctly. The beach inside the national park is pretty.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Volcanogirl...I will look into Tulemar....I had looked at Arenas del Mar Beachfront resort and will also look at Parador.
BTW, Destinos is no longer in business. We'll figure out the transfer from Nayara Gardens. Less jungle is probably for the best since I have a bird phobia...I know, crazy, but I've had my whole life.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Oh no, I had looked and saw that their website was still working so I was hopeful they were still around. I suspect that the pandemic has made a lot of people change careers with the lack of tourists. My mom has bird phobia too. She is totally creeped out by them. Manuel Antonio is nice, very easy to get around, caters to tourists. The monkeys are so used to tourists that they will steal from you so keep an eye on them! Manuel Antonio Expeditions is good for a guided tour of the park and the Damas mangrove tour if those interest you. I've wanted to try a tour called Vacation Buggy that always gets great reviews, but haven't had the chance yet. Tulemar gives you your own concierge. Ours even stocked our refrigerator for us. At least when we were there, not sure if things have changed.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tour tips, Volcanogirl. Tulemar was totally booked, but managed to get a room at Arenas Del Mar. they’ll pick us up from Nayara Gardens. Pricy…but better than renting a car.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 04:07 AM

We've never stayed at Arenas del Mar, but it seems to always get great reviews. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 01:49 PM

Arenas del Mar is a very nice private property. We have stayed there twice and enjoyed it. I think you will enjoy it. Just another opinion on a previous trip (maybe 3 years ago) we booked Tucan Limos (recommended above) and they just failed to show up. Our hotel found another driver but can't recommend them at all.

Old Jan 6th, 2022, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update about Tucan Limos, Lois2. I can't wait to see Arenas del Mar!
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 06:29 AM

That's terrible, Lois - a bad feeling when that happens. That's why I like to reserve through hotels; they never close, and there's always someone around to help if a driver doesn't show up.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 11:32 AM

I was able to stay there for a few days. Nice location. There is a small beach there ("Playitas"), or you can have them shuttle you to the start of the main public beach "Espadilla" and you can walk all the way to Manuel Antonio. I am not sure that Playitas is safe for swimming, but there are a lot of pools on site.

I thought their on site naturalist was very good if you are interested in their own nature walks. Of course he may no longer be there!
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mlgb. I though they were supposed to have a good beach on property so good to know they'll take us to a better beach, if desired.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 05:55 AM

Hi barefoot beach, we are going in March as well but doing the opposite transfer from Arenas Del Mar to Nayara Gardens. Perhaps we will pass each other on the road. happy travels
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

lauramsgarden, who are you using for your transfer?
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 05:04 AM

transfers

Originally Posted by barefootbeach
lauramsgarden, who are you using for your transfer?
We are using the hotels for all of them- simpler - so Arenas Del Mar from airport and also to Nayarit, and then Nayarit back to airport. How about you? When will you be there. We arrive March 1st.
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Laura’s garden, we’re not there till the end of March. We found Sama Transfers to take us back to a hotel in downtown San Jose and they were $175 vs. $280 for Arenas Del Mar’s transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -