Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa Monica, Malibu, Beverly Hills--three day trip

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick three day trip to LA with my son, who had business in the area. This was my first time in California and I loved it.

Day one: early flight from ORD to LAX. Took Lyft to The Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica where we stayed two nights. Nice hotel near Palisades Park, Third Street Promenade, and Santa Monica Pier. Had delicious lunch of calamari, scallops, and mahi at Water Grill. Walked to the pier and rode the ferris wheel which provides a view of the city and coast. DS wanted to go to Malibu, so we took Lyft to Rosenthal Wine Bar where we enjoyed some wine on their large patio. Walked the beach and watched surfers. Back in Santa Monica that evening DS had a short meeting with colleagues at The Penthouse (Huntley Hotel restaurant/bar). Very nice and pretty views at night. We had dinner late that evening at Sushi Roku on Ocean Avenue--great food and nice outdoor seating with heat lamps.

Day two: DS had meetings in downtown LA, so I was on my own all day and evening. Had breakfast and coffee at Demitasse, a great little cafe that roasts their own beans and prides themselves on bringing in local foods and amenities. The Wednesday Farmers Market was open and I loved strolling through there seeing all the gorgeous produce and flowers. Walked back to the pier and accessed the beach via Seaside Terrace. Temps were in the low 60s, so no sunbathers or swimmers. Walked through Tongva Park, a nice green space across from the pier. Later that afternoon I went back to Malibu and had dinner at Paradise Beach Cove. Great fried shrimp and nice place to access the beach.

Day three: we left Santa Monica and stayed the night in Beverly Hils at the Marriott because DS wanted points. Walked to Rodeo Drive, took pictures of beautiful Christmas decor and people watched. Went to West Hollywood and had a late lunch at Tu Madre, a Mexican restaurant on Hayworth Avenue. I had a grilled fish bowl and DS had a burrito--excellent! Stopped at Joey's Cafe, a neat little neighborhood diner, to charge my phone. Ordered a tiger chai tea (delicious) and unsweet iced tea. Spent the evening having a drink at Vanderpump's restaurants, PUMP, Tom Tom, and SUR. I have never seen that show, but my daugher in law if a fan. I must say the restaurants are gorgeous and I am glad we went. We ended the evening at the hotel having mussels before turning in for our 8:30 am flight back to Chicago.

Very short trip, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I wanted to go to The Getty Villa in Malibu, but couldn't get a "reservation" on short notice. Thanks to all who contributed info to make my trip even better.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You packed a lot into your short trip and you ate very well!! I'm glad you found the SM Farmer's Market as all of us failed to mention that. But I'm sorry you were unable to get to the Getty Villa. In the olden days before Covid, reservations were only required for parking. If you arrived by bus or Lyft, you could go any time.... You'll have to return to L.A.!
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the report back, glad the weather wasn't too bad (60's at the beach is about standard for November even if inland is hot).
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for reporting back.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely return! A waiter at a restaurant asked why it had taken me so long to get to California. I replied "good question!"