Around 18 days in Switzerland & Italy in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear all, I am planning my first ever visit to Europe for April with my mother, we enjoy walking. We intend to visit Switzerland & Italy in about 18 days. I have researched on these countries quite heavily but would like to know your expert opinions.

My current plan is:
Day 0: Depart Singapore for Zurich.
Day 1: Arrive in Zurich in the morning, head to Grindelwald to spend the rest of the day getting over jet lag. Spend 3 nights in Grindelwald.
Day 2: First full day in the Bernese Oberland. Explore Lauterbrunnen Valley. Wake up early and head up to Murren, explore Gimmelwald, go down to Lauterbrunnen to see the waterfalls, and lastly see Wengen before going back to Grindelwald.
Day 3: Head to Interlaken and take a cruise on lake Brienz and get off at some stops along the way like Giessbach falls & Iseltwald. Ascend Harder Kulm for the sunset.
Day 4: Time to leave Switzerland . Catch the early morning train from Grindelwald with a few stops along the way to Milan, then see the duomo before continuing on to Florence. Spend 6 nights in Florence.
Day 5: A full day to explore Florence.
Day 6: Day trip to Siena.
Day 7: Day trip to Bologna.
Day 8: Day trip to Pisa & Lucca.
Day 9: Day trip to San Gimignano or second full day in Florence if too tired of travelling.
Day 10: Head to the Cinque Terre, likely staying in Riomaggiore. Spend 3 nights.
Day 11: Explore Cinque Terre villages.
Day 12: Another day to explore the villages.
Day 13: Train down to Rome. Spend the final 5 nights.
Day 14: Vatican Museums!
Day 15: Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill etc.
Day 16: Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori etc.
Day 17: Trastevere & Testaccio markets.
Day 18: Time to leave Europe .

How does the itinerary sound? Is it too insane to do so many day trips from Florence? I am estimating that this trip will cost me somewhere around 3,200 euros all in, staying in private airbnbs and mediocre hotels. If I wanted to cut down on costs I would have to reduce the number of nights spent in Europe so which day would you remove if it were you? I am thinking cut Rome to 4 nights or Florence to 5 nights. Thanks a bunch.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything is feasible. but be aware that there is no fine weather guarantee, neither for Switzerland nor for Italy.
If I had to reduce the number of nights, I woud cut 1 day at
Grindelwald, Bologna, Cinque Terre