Private Driver in Belize

Old Oct 13th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private Driver in Belize

Belize Private Driver

We are planning a trip to Belize in late January 2022 and want to spend some time on the beach at Ambergris Caye and also inland at San Ignacio. However, getting from point A to B looks like it can be very difficult. Assuming we fly into and out of Belize City would seem to make it more complicated. I've seen in some forums that some people have had good luck in hiring private drivers for at least some of the journeys within Belize. We would certainly appreciate the knowledge of a local.

So, we're wonderng if anyone can comment on their luck with private drivers, and, if they had good luck, provide contact information for their drivers. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 08:18 PM

We used private drivers; we just hired ours through our hotels when we reserved them.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 11:39 AM

I was in Belize a couple of years ago updating the Fodor's guide and used private drivers to take me around a couple of days to more far-flung places I needed to visit. My hotel recommended them and they were great. Not only did they provide the transport I needed, they were a wealth of local information. I can't make specific recommendations to you since this was in two destinations (Hopkins and Punta Gorda) where you won't be traveling.

Belize has a "Gold Standard" program in place now during the pandemic, where places you stay, transportation you use, and tour operators you use must meet certain anti-COVID standards. Virtually all tourist-standard lodgings are certified, so that's not a worry, but transportation you use must be certified too. (Airlines and transfer companies are.) I assume a private driver who takes you from destination to destination must be as well. I'm not sure.

Belize Travel Health & Safety

Last edited by Jeff_Costa_Rica; Oct 14th, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. That's a big help.
Paul