Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2022 trip, Ireland, Scots Border, Northern England and Midlands

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the beginning of planning a 3 week trip for June 2022. Preliminary plans are fly from Toronto to Dublin spend a week-10 days in Ireland, Dublin, Galway, some places in Ulster.
After Ireland, go to Scotland, specifically Berwickshire, next to Yorkshire specifically North Yorkshire National Park the area where Heartbeat was filmed and then Shropshire then Birmingham to see family. At the end of the holiday fly out of Manchester to Toronto.
We have travelled in the UK several times and have no problems with organising places to see, stay etc.
My question is: Can we rent a car in Dublin and drop it in Belfast, or wherever we would take a ferry to Scotland.
Would it be simpler to fly into Glasgow, then get to Ireland somehow, take the car with us to Ireland, then return to Scotland, eventually drop the car at Manchester.

I know that returning a car to a different location has added costs, we have done that several times in various locations. What I don't know is how this would/ could work between Ireland, Scotland, England.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 06:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"My question is: Can we rent a car in Dublin and drop it in Belfast, or wherever we would take a ferry to Scotland.
Would it be simpler to fly into Glasgow, then get to Ireland somehow, take the car with us to Ireland, then return to Scotland, eventually drop the car at Manchester. "

Since Ireland an NI are different countries there could be a substantial drop off charge. Drop off fees within the same country are either non-existent or generally quite reasonable. Plus the ferry goes no where near Berwickshire.

If it was me . . . I'd fly into Shannon or Dublin, do all the Ireland/NI bits. Drop the car at DUB and fly to EDI, collect a car there, tour Berwickshire/Northumberland/N. Yorkshire. Fly home from MAN.

. . . and there is definitely no reason at all to pay for taking a car on a ferry back and forth between Ireland and mainland UK.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
A dummy car rental booking for pickup in Dublin and drop off in Belfast costs $185 US, so it can be done, whether it is a good idea, I'm not sure. Yes I do know where Berwickshire is, and would not think it either possible or desirable to take a ferry there.
I like this idea " I'd fly into Shannon or Dublin, do all the Ireland/NI bits. Drop the car at DUB and fly to EDI, collect a car there"
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 07:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You brought up taking a ferry -- otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. So I guess we agree a ferry from NI to D&G when Berwickshire is your destination simply doesn't make sense . . .