Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay for a month in Southern Italy? Salerno, Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A month in Italy! My college-aged children and hard-working husband can never seem to be able to commit to a week or two in Italy so I am hoping to put down some roots, give the family my dates and let them come to me! I am planning to be in Italy from July 18- August 20, 2022. I am most interested in Southern Italy- islands, coast, Pompeii, and would like to travel
inland to the small town of San Fele, Potenza where my great grandparents were born. Ideally, I want to stay in one place for the whole time as it will get me the best rates. I don’t mind longish day trips and maybe even renting another room for a night here or there if that makes sense. I was thinking Salerno but the lack of discussions about actually staying in Salerno has me wondering… Naples? Amalfi? Also, I do know that it will be hot but I like the heat (that moment when you get into a super hot car in summer ahhhh) and I do not fear crowds (grew up on the boardwalks on the New Jersey shore) I would love to hear your ideas!
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 06:26 AM

Lucky you! Salerno is a fine town/small city, but I think mostly people stay there when they are scared of Naples (or, to be charitable, just don't like large cities--nothing wrong with that). Naples would give you more options, so it really just depends on what you like/like to do. Salerno is not that much farther from many of the places you'd day trip to, and closer to some. Both have ferries, trains, buses.
I'd consider splitting the stay, because that would give a city with tons to do a couple weeks/tons of day trip options, and then the rest in a smaller town where you can relax, swim, etc.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like Potenza and it might be pretty good for a month if a bit small. I might also look at Lecce, Taranto is a bit too meh down there but Lecce is a gem. I'd not stay in Napoli for long, the museums are fun but ..nah not for me, too much grit in that oyster.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:26 AM

Don't know Salervo but really liked Naples.

https://flic.kr/p/a3gNTj
https://flic.kr/p/a3gM4d
https://flic.kr/p/a3gQZu
Here's the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvhZKSv
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:19 AM

Sorrento was a nice base for trips Pompeii, Amalfi coast, and Capri. Please see part 2 of my 3-part trip report:

2002 - More Miracles - Sorrento, Pompeii, Amalfi, Capri

It's dated but I hope it will give you ideas...it's easier to see if you turn your small screen wide-wise.

Last edited by TDudette; Sep 28th, 2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 01:48 PM

Mi piace Napoli molto! It’s not for everyone and it took a second trip to it for me to begin loving it, but it’s quintessential Italian. I would truly hate driving in it- il traffico è pazzo! If you choose it, perhaps try to find an apartment that is central for walking to all things wonderful but at the same time, would give you an easy exit and entrance out of/into the city.